Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Blue Community > Blue Server Chat

Closed Thread

Old 07-04-2011, 11:05 PM
Aviak

Quote:
Originally Posted by SupaflyIRL [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
If you can limit the number of active logins from a certain IP to 1 you could certainly limit it to 2.
I think 2 would be reasonable, but then again, if I was able to box right now I'd be PLing my alt instead of leveling it in groups, which is probably another issue they want to avoid.
Old 07-04-2011, 11:09 PM
Orc

I enjoy actually socializing in an mmo again! I'm not against dual boxing, but if thats how they want it....that is how it will stay.

Bumonrug
Old 07-04-2011, 11:24 PM
Banned

There are a lot of very good points in this thread. Most of them are anti-boxing. I witnessed PEQ server disintegrate due to this exact thing. The reason I started here was the population, and that seems to be much due to the ban on boxing. I wouldn't want to see that again, especially because it was so much harder to level here!
Old 07-04-2011, 11:44 PM
Large Bat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deuces [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
The IP thing wouldnt help because they can just use two different IP's if someone near them has an unsecured wireless.
I'm sure people use this little trick today for muti-boxing. What keep's people from just requesting a IP exception today?
Old 07-04-2011, 11:56 PM
Kobold

Nothing is stopping anyone from requesting an IP exemption. However just having an IP exemption does not mean you are granted immunity from being punished if you're caught multi-boxing.

There are always ways around any rules put in place, and if you're really that desperate to violate the rules in place so that you can have some kind of advantage over others while playing a game for fun, you'll find a way. And then when you get caught, we'll see a few posts from you down in Rants and Flames about how the evil people that provide you the server to play on have it in for you, and you're unjustly accused and those bastards! and all the other bullshit.

It's just a game, chill out, relax, have fun. If the game is too tough go back to live, or WoW or HALO or wherever you got your kicks before. The iteration of EQ here is complete with all the warts of the original EQ, if you could deal with it then, you can deal with it now.
Old 07-05-2011, 12:05 AM
VIP / Contributor

Send a message via AIM to Amelinda Send a message via Yahoo to Amelinda

Some of you are missing the point. I'm not saying don't get your "friend's" account banned. I'm saying don't get your friend's account banned.

For instance: Let's say Kalmy has 2 characters on separate accounts. Druid + Monk. his monk is his "roommate's" character and he's boxing those accounts. if i ban both accounts i'm probably not going to lose sleep over it.

However...If kalmy borrows Tixel's druid to help himself level then I am going to feel pretty bad about banning Tixel. Will i do it? yes. Will it suck immensely for Tixel? yes. Will i give in and unban her? No. I have no way to prove it was kalmy being selfish and not Tixel being selfish.

Don't box in the first place and then you don't risk losing your friends character along with yours....just sayin...

(Sorry to pick on you Kalmy)

As far as boxing in general goes...it is against the rules and we do actively hunt for boxers. If you know of anyone boxing or see it, feel free to /tell amelinda or submit it via petition. Even if they are in separate zones we CAN and WILL catch them.

PS you are not as slick as you think...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slave [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
In this case, only people who ALREADY have exemptions can ostensibly use their friends account to 2-box.
This is untrue. People use proxies, neighbor's wireless, cell phone tethers, air cards etc. People get freakin creative with boxing. Some people with legit ip exemptions use that to abuse the system once in a while and others request for a "wife" and 'brother' and "roommate" and "dog".

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slave [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Why would they do that? I mean it doesn't take long to level a druid or wizard up to porting level, and the added layer of people is nothing but a risk. It doesn't make any sense.
laziness? but mostly it's because THEY THINK THEY WILL NOT GET CAUGHT.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simreal [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I don't quite understand why multi-boxing is such a big deal.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arkyani [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
If we allowed multi-boxing, everybody would just use macroquest and group with themselves. It would totally destroy a sense of community and having to rely on others to do things.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Simreal [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
It seems to me that if you wanted to discourage multi-boxing .. or better yet promote grouping and community, then all you would have to do is give a bonus for groups that include players from different IP addresses, and cancel group bonuses (or even penalize) from groups that have multiple players from the same IP.
So i get six characters going, fire up MQ and connect through 6 proxies. problem solved, i get to 6-box AND I get an xp bonus....:/

until a GM or guide catches me....then I get 6 accounts banned...fun deal.
Old 07-05-2011, 12:10 AM
Planar Protector

nalkin likes to two-box with a character named "Kimmie" but I don't report him because honestly I feel kind of sad that he has an imaginary girlfriend.
Lardna Minch, 18 Warrior

Project 1999 (PvP):
[50 (sometimes 49) Bard] Wolfram Alpha (Half Elf) ZONE: oasis
Old 07-05-2011, 12:20 AM
VIP / Contributor

Send a message via AIM to Amelinda Send a message via Yahoo to Amelinda

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lazortag [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
nalkin likes to two-box with a character named "Kimmie" but I don't report him because honestly I feel kind of sad that he has an imaginary girlfriend.
Pfft. haven't you heard? i can't ban myself...duh...i'm obviously kimmie [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.] at least...if you believe the tags.
Old 07-05-2011, 12:32 AM
Kobold

You're not Kimmie, you're Tralina, why else would you have quit playing?
Old 07-05-2011, 12:42 AM
Large Bat

I agree there are pro's and con's and arguments for both sides. I believe there are legit reason to multi box as well as reasons not to. I don't necessarily feel strongly about either side of that argument. I run my own server and if I wanted to multi box I could do it there. I play on P99 today only because I don't want to give up all the time I put in there.

My argument was exactly that though ... I'm not arguing that's it's good or bad. I'm simply arguing that I don't understand why it's such a big deal. I've heard the arguments for and against. I just haven't heard anything that's secured my desire to support either side.
Closed Thread