Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Off Topic

Closed Thread

Old 07-22-2011, 08:07 PM
Scrawny Gnoll

Sorry didn't have time to elaborate last night, but I just think a lot of people overlook the economic possibilities. I know the government makes a lot of money from locking people up for weed, but that money is just used to sustain the fucking assholes who pass and enforce these stupid laws, i.e. cops, prison guards, judges, parole officers, etc. And I'm not just talking about making money from taxing people that smoke weed, think about how many small businesses would open, paper, textiles, hash bars, head shops, taco bells, etc. All paying taxes and creating jobs. If they did it right it could even bolster tourism. I really think this is a viable solution to a lot of our economic problems. Just my 2cp, but I would like to know what other non-smokers think about this. I'm a little bias, because from time to time I partake.
Old 07-22-2011, 08:22 PM
Kobold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doors [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
You'd be surprised how much money our country makes off the judicial system when it comes to busting and convicting drug offenders.

The parole fees, probation costs, pleading out - all of these mean big dollars for the U.S. government because they catch so many offenders with Marijuana. It's actually why Marijuana is listed as a higher class drug than Cocaine, so the legal fees and penalties generate more cash because they're more people using Marijuana than there are using Cocaine.

Also theres conspiracy theorists out there that speculate this is also a way of keeping African Americans down, as Cocaine is usually consumed by upper and middle class white Americans and Marijuana is consumed mostly by minorities of all kinds.
I think the war on drugs is stupid, but you are wrong here.

Schedule I and Schedule II has nothing to do with how drugs arrests are treated. In fact you will find trivial amounts of marijuana usually lead to a fine as opposed to cocaine. Schedule I were listed as having no accepted medical use, schedule II were listed as having a high abuse risk but in some instances can have medical uses (think pain killers). While you can debate marijuana's placement in Schedule I. It doesn't mean Schedule II = x penalty, while Schedule I = x2 penalty.

As for the conspiracy theories.....white kids don't smoke pot? You're kidding me. Second you really think law makers sat around and said "yeah let's punish pot worse because only minorities do it, and let's let cocaine users get a free ride."
Old 07-22-2011, 08:25 PM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fist_The_Lord [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Seriously the war on drugs is by far our biggest loss, we pay to imprison potheads. Fully legalize and tax that shit, you get a multi-billion dollar industry, which in turn stimulates the economy.
Old 07-23-2011, 01:23 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by tj218 [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
As for the conspiracy theories.....white kids don't smoke pot? You're kidding me. Second you really think law makers sat around and said "yeah let's punish pot worse because only minorities do it, and let's let cocaine users get a free ride."
Never said I agreed with said theories. Go read books on it bro, enough people have written them on the subject.
Old 07-23-2011, 03:03 AM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doors [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Never said I agreed with said theories. Go read books on it bro, enough people have written them on the subject.
Actually I think the debate you're looking for is not Marijuana vs. Cocaine, because that argument is flimsy at best. The reason cocaine is not a schedule I drug is because schedule I drugs have zero accepted medical use for treatment. Cocaine, ironically, does have medical value. Go read books on it bro [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

The one that shows racial and class disparities is when you get into the differences in sentences/punishment for Powder vs Crack cocaine. Who buys Crack cocaine? Po (stupid) folk. Who buys powder cocaine? White people, and people that make Crack. So stiffer punishments for possession for crack is kind of silly, considering the average crack user is so bad off already as it is. Punish the slanger, not the user imo.

I remember hearing something about a bill being passed in congress ending the disparity in punishments, but I don't know if it ever made it through.

p.s. yes, drug school.
Old 07-23-2011, 03:41 AM
Planar Protector

Dunno what either of you dolts are talking about but the class offenses and schedule rankings of drugs are two completely different things. Also why the hell would tree be schedule I if there are legal medical uses for weed if you're stating that schedule I drugs have zero accepted medical use for treatment? Durrr.

And read a book on what exactly? Guy said he thinks I'm kidding, there are actual legit text books on the concept of keeping minorities down through stiff legal fines dealing with minor drug offenses which is why I told him to go read a book on it because he thinks I'm making this shit up.

http://www.amazon.com/Rich-Get-Riche...1406717&sr=1-1

I'm not sure why I would go read a book on something nobody here is even talking about, but ok. Either way I don't really give a fuck about drugs or the people who do them.
Old 07-23-2011, 04:04 AM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Dunno what either of you dolts are talking about but the class offenses and schedule rankings of drugs are two completely different things. Also why the hell would tree be schedule I if there are legal medical uses for weed if you're stating that schedule I drugs have zero accepted medical use for treatment? Durrr.

And read a book on what exactly? Guy said he thinks I'm kidding, there are actual legit text books on the concept of keeping minorities down through stiff legal fines dealing with minor drug offenses which is why I told him to go read a book on it because he thinks I'm making this shit up.

I'm not sure why I would go read a book on something nobody here is even talking about, but ok. Either way I don't really give a fuck about drugs or the people who do them.
I see you completely skipped my second paragraph. It points out something that you should be concerned about, not silly marijuana vs. cocaine. "Durrr?" [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

Also, Cannabis is schedule I. Cocaine is schedule II. I don't make the rules. According to the feds, there is no medical value to weed.

Close as you're going to come to a book: recent action on the subject of paragraph two http://www.chicagodefender.com/artic...-cocaine-.html
also more reading http://www.drugpolicy.org/docUploads...fact_sheet.pdf
Last edited by Feachie; 07-23-2011 at 04:10 AM..
Old 07-23-2011, 04:42 AM
Sarnak

outlaw fractional reserve lending
google it
Old 07-23-2011, 04:47 AM
Sarnak

Quote:

http://www.aspects.org/carter/cocaine/03.html
read a book

http://www.aspects.org/carter/cocaine/06.html
Old 07-23-2011, 12:48 PM
Planar Protector

Rule 1 of arguing with drug addicts - don't bother.
Closed Thread