Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Class Discussions > Tanks

Old 01-26-2023, 07:03 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danth [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I do not agree, Shamwowi. In his very first post he explicitly laid out his requirements. Advice that does not fit the stated requirements is worthless, and that's the fault of the person giving it. If I'm doing wind loading calculations for a wood frame structure, someone moseying by suggesting I switch to steel when the requirement calls for wood is of no help. Have to work within the requirements laid out. That's why they're requirements.
Narandi Crown, as an example, is not going against OP's original post. You can buy a Narandi Crown without raiding at all.

If OP says farming plat/items takes too long, then the only other option is raiding.

If OP doesn't want to raid and can't spend the time farming, he isn't going to get items.
Old 01-26-2023, 07:08 PM
Planar Protector

Agree with respect to that specific item, which is why I also recommended remembering it if he sticks around long term. If you want a moderately expensive droppable and can't get one in say 5 years, even as a casual, you're either unfathomably bad at EQ or you don't actually want one that much. Not wanting one is perfectly valid. I don't have a crown myself because I like having a graphic hat better--but I could have one if I wanted it.

Danth
Old 01-26-2023, 07:10 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeathsSilkyMist [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Narandi Crown, as an example, is not going against OP's original post. You can buy a Narandi Crown without raiding at all.

If OP says farming plat/items takes too long, then the only other option is raiding.

If OP doesn't want to raid and can't spend the time farming, he isn't going to get items.
Something OP may not have considered is earning DKP through non-raid activities and using that to fund the hat.

If OP enjoys running toons around, covering ports, PLing alts, buff parties, etc there are options available there in some guilds.

Gorgen (Blue) - Agnostic Troll Warrior of the XXXI Dung

Old 01-26-2023, 07:12 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danth [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Agree with respect to that specific item, which is why I also recommended remembering it if he sticks around long term. If you want a moderately expensive droppable and can't get one in say 5 years, even as a casual, you're either unfathomably bad at EQ or you don't actually want one that much. Not wanting one is perfectly valid. I don't have a crown myself because I like having a graphic hat better--but I could have one if I wanted it.

Danth
Agreed. And yes, I do have mixed feelings about Narandi Crown's fashion. On some characters having no helm graphic is cool, but I really like the Velious graphic for male Trolls. I wish you could have a Custom Narandi Crown hehe.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimjam [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Something OP may not have considered is earning DKP through non-raid activities and using that to fund the hat.

If OP enjoys running toons around, covering ports, PLing alts, buff parties, etc there are options available there in some guilds.
That is a great point! You can indeed get DKP through non-raiding means, and that would still probably take less time than farming plat/items. But you do need to show up to the kill generally speaking to bid on an item, so he would have to at least attend the raids for the items he wants. So it probably wouldn't work out if OP remains resolute in his 0 raiding policy.
Last edited by DeathsSilkyMist; 01-26-2023 at 07:14 PM..
Old 01-26-2023, 07:20 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeathsSilkyMist [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
On some characters having no helm graphic is cool, but I really like the Velious graphic for male Trolls.
My guy is a human. Giving up that winged serpentine helm for some stats would be an affront to decency! I spent what felt like months circa 2016ish scouring the 'net trying to find proof that Narandi crown was visible during our era, only to be met with disappointment.
Old 01-26-2023, 07:36 PM
Orc

Quote:
I do not agree, Shamwowi. In his very first post he explicitly laid out his requirements. Advice that does not fit the stated requirements is worthless, and that's the fault of the person giving it. If I'm doing wind loading calculations for a wood frame structure, someone moseying by suggesting I switch to steel when the requirement calls for wood is of no help. Have to work within the requirements laid out. That's why they're requirements.
And honestly, I can tolerate semi-irrelevant advice when it's simply offered at a glance, I mean, good to consider ALL options right? But then I persisted in giving my hard NO and... this... this tendency to just persistently badger people who refuse to raid is baffling to me. "You could get this item." turns to "You really should get this item" turns to "You really should raid" turns to "Why aren't you raiding?" followed by people trying to dissect my personal issues with raiding to try to convince me to do it anyway even though I started this entire thing making it 100% clear that I am not interested in it. "Hey, you don't actually have to sell your soul, with just ____ investment, you can raid and get SOME of the items you need" and eventually "If you aren't willing to put ____ investment, you don't belong in this game". Condescendingly breaking a simple subject down in mathematical terms as if I have no idea how to play this game. I have a 59 necro. I know how to generate money (and a hell of a lot more than 500pp every 2 hours).

Raiding and farming sucks ass to me, the whole point is to do less of it. Farming is sometimes necessary, but raiding isn't, and I hate doing it, so I'm not gonna do it, and I don't need a better reason.
Last edited by stealthbeast; 01-26-2023 at 07:40 PM..
Old 01-26-2023, 07:56 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by stealthbeast [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
And honestly, I can tolerate semi-irrelevant advice when it's simply offered at a glance, I mean, good to consider ALL options right? But then I persisted in giving my hard NO and... this... this tendency to just persistently badger people who refuse to raid is baffling to me. "You could get this item." turns to "You really should get this item" turns to "You really should raid" turns to "Why aren't you raiding?" followed by people trying to dissect my personal issues with raiding to try to convince me to do it anyway even though I started this entire thing making it 100% clear that I am not interested in it. "Hey, you don't actually have to sell your soul, with just ____ investment, you can raid and get SOME of the items you need" and eventually "If you aren't willing to put ____ investment, you don't belong in this game". Condescendingly breaking a simple subject down in mathematical terms as if I have no idea how to play this game. I have a 59 necro. I know how to generate money (and a hell of a lot more than 500pp every 2 hours).

Raiding and farming sucks ass to me, the whole point is to do less of it. Farming is sometimes necessary, but raiding isn't, and I hate doing it, so I'm not gonna do it, and I don't need a better reason.
No one is badgering you, and again I wasn't trying to force you off Everquest lol. You are taking this way too personally/seriously. You need to calm down.

You are simply painting yourself into a corner, and then complaining when no advise fits your specific needs.

If you want to save time (or don't have a lot of play time), then raiding is going to give you the best "bang for your buck" in terms of items. That is what we are trying to say. You don't have to "sell your soul".

If you don't want to raid, then you will need to take the more time intensive route of farming plat/items.

If you don't want to raid, don't want to farm, and just want to buff noobs in EC, you aren't going to get items.

What other advise can we give?
Old 01-26-2023, 07:57 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by stealthbeast [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

Sorry you don't got raid, hope that helps.
Old 01-26-2023, 07:59 PM
Banned

Top end gear doesn't really improve your character or make gameplay that much easier.

Like lvl 1 to 20, sure.

But past that, a fully twinked out character is like 10% better than a normally geared character.

When I got my first Fungi tunic, I was hugely disappointed because it's overhyped.

Getting buffed by higher level characters is way easier, cheaper, and better.

EQ is a game of inches.

Getting that sweet raid upgrade will make you 0.097% better. You won't even notice a difference.

Banded Armor is all you need in this game.
Old 01-26-2023, 08:02 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
What other advise can we give?
Here's a curious exercise: What's the best character you can build with a budget of 500P per slot, 2500 for weapon? Call it the Junkman Challenge.