Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Starting Zone

Old 04-12-2023, 12:19 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topgunben [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
The main problem is the down time though. The down time will basically kill someones interest in playing the game. That’s why necros are so great, because they have very limited downtime.

In fact I’m about to create another necro and play him to 60. It’s just that much fun haha.
I guess we judge difficulty differently then. For me, difficulty is how much trouble a class is going to have killing something on their own, regardless of downtime. If they can kill something with little danger, or the class is a one-trick pony like Wizard (nukes, nukes and more nukes) it's an easy class.

A difficult class, to me, is one that has a complicated rotation or is mechanically complex, like Bard. AoE the wrong thing unintentionally, you die. Get stunned in the middle of swarm kiting, you die. Draw the aggro in a group because of a charm/mez breaking, you probably die. There's a lot that can go wrong for Bards, a lot is expected of them in groups (constantly twisting and rotating songs to adapt to group needs), and they are blamed easily when things turn to shit.

I'd say Shaman is relatively difficult too because a lot is expected of you in groups, from heals, buffs, slows and even damage. You don't just get to do one thing, you are multitasking and need a lot of situational awareness as a result. Wizards have one job in a group, blow things up. As long as they are aware of aggro, it's easy to play.
Last edited by Loadsamoney; 04-12-2023 at 12:25 AM..
Old 04-12-2023, 12:51 AM
Fire Giant

The issue with a Wizard is you need a bard or enchanter in a group to contribute. You need to spend more time sitting than doing damage otherwise, whereas a Monk, Rogue, Ranger, or hell, even a Warrior will do more damage than you.

Wizard isn't difficult to play, but difficult to fit into a group because you need mana regen or you're a third wheel.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loadsamoney [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I guess we judge difficulty differently then. For me, difficulty is how much trouble a class is going to have killing something on their own, regardless of downtime. If they can kill something with little danger, or the class is a one-trick pony like Wizard (nukes, nukes and more nukes) it's an easy class.

A difficult class, to me, is one that has a complicated rotation or is mechanically complex, like Bard. AoE the wrong thing unintentionally, you die. Get stunned in the middle of swarm kiting, you die. Draw the aggro in a group because of a charm/mez breaking, you probably die. There's a lot that can go wrong for Bards, a lot is expected of them in groups (constantly twisting and rotating songs to adapt to group needs), and they are blamed easily when things turn to shit.

I'd say Shaman is relatively difficult too because a lot is expected of you in groups, from heals, buffs, slows and even damage. You don't just get to do one thing, you are multitasking and need a lot of situational awareness as a result. Wizards have one job in a group, blow things up. As long as they are aware of aggro, it's easy to play.

P99B Strazha (60 Warlock) [Iksar]
P99B Sstrix (60 Warlord) [Iksar]
P99B Sickjams (5 Bard) [EC Mule]
P99G Sauna (51 Channeler) [Gnome]
P99R Sseri (54 Mystic) [Iksar]
VZ/TZ '08-'09 Lurgort (60 Shaman) [Barbarian] <Eight Inches Unbuffed>
Old 04-12-2023, 12:58 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lurgort/Sseri [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
The issue with a Wizard is you need a bard or enchanter in a group to contribute. You need to spend more time sitting than doing damage otherwise, whereas a Monk, Rogue, Ranger, or hell, even a Warrior will do more damage than you.

Wizard isn't difficult to play, but difficult to fit into a group because you need mana regen or you're a third wheel.
Unless the group needs an evac, then you're a lifesaver and the difference between a profitable night and a corpse run.
Old 04-12-2023, 01:03 AM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loadsamoney [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Unless the group needs an evac, then you're a lifesaver and the difference between a profitable night and a corpse run.
Agreed, it feels gratifying to evac a group if shit hits the fan. I've done it on my Wizard several times, but the Druid exists and can heal...to prevent such things, but in the event of an imminent wipe, Druid can also evac. Wizard needed the Clarity line, not Enchanter.

P99B Strazha (60 Warlock) [Iksar]
P99B Sstrix (60 Warlord) [Iksar]
P99B Sickjams (5 Bard) [EC Mule]
P99G Sauna (51 Channeler) [Gnome]
P99R Sseri (54 Mystic) [Iksar]
VZ/TZ '08-'09 Lurgort (60 Shaman) [Barbarian] <Eight Inches Unbuffed>
Last edited by Lurgort/Sseri; 04-12-2023 at 01:06 AM..
Old 04-12-2023, 01:15 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lurgort/Sseri [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Agreed, it feels gratifying to evac a group if shit hits the fan. I've done it on my Wizard several times, but the Druid exists and can heal...to prevent such things, but in the event of an imminent wipe, Druid can also evac. Wizard needed the Clarity line, not Enchanter.
At least their epic comes with a Clarity-esque spell in Barrier of Force. Whether it's a realistic goal for most Wizards is another matter, though I doubt it's as bottlenecked as the Mage epic.
Old 04-12-2023, 01:29 AM
Planar Protector

OP! Some thoughts.
• Wizard takes patience and caution. You'll probably die plenty of times.
• Grouping - some players don't usually invite wizards to groups as they are less efficient than some others, but again, have patience and take initiative and you can make groups.
• Once you can kill gnolls in Qeynos Hills and Blackburrow (level 6 or 8 and up?) it's good exp to solo or group in Blackburrow, collect gnoll fangs (stackable), and turn them in in Qeynos. You could bind someplace clever to turn in.
• Level maybe 10 or 12+: https://wiki.project1999.com/Bandit_Sashes
• Quadding. Once you get to higher levels, you can quad, which is great exp and fun. You need some +int/mana gear to have enough of a mana pool. You might need the level 29 spell Bonds of Force (area snare), but it can be done at lower levels than that if you have SOW on and the proper spells. There are guides on the wiki. Some players do a quad, sit in a safe spot to med, do a chore, return, quad again, go lift a few weights, come back and do another quad, etc. That's the best way to get to 60 on a wizard.
• Wizards are great on certain raid mobs due to their Lures (low-resist nuke).
• I recommend making friends. EQ is a social game. I would never stay interested if I didn't have people I like to play with.
Old 04-12-2023, 11:11 AM
Planar Protector

the fact is wizard isnt a great class until you've got a couple of years into p99

once you have the resources to plvl and acquire epic ASAP, you can then have a pretty fun character for the raid scene

a wizard in rags is going to take literally for-fucking-ever to level

make a necro - you'll learn all the games mechanics (fears / snares / roots / charm and summoned pets / lulls / FD) and be able to make money to at least start a wiz with some decent mana pool, flux staff click, etc

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeathsSilkyMist View Post
With enough Clerics any class can survive AoW.
Last edited by Toxigen; 04-12-2023 at 11:20 AM..
Old 04-12-2023, 12:03 PM
Sarnak

You wouldn't want to hurt your self with a wizard. Play a safer class like necro or druid. It only takes 1000 hours or so to get to 60 so might awell learn on something easy right. It's not like your going to put much time or effort into a char. You might aswell make 100's of plat porting people on your druid for a few years. Then you can power lvl to 60 and buy all the best in slot gear for any char you want.
Old 04-12-2023, 12:37 PM
Planar Protector

If you do get in to a group on a wizard you are likely to find you spend most of your mana on roots and interrupts (which many classes can do just as well or better). You'll do very few nukes, and the ones you do do will do a fraction of the group's damage and aren't usually an efficient use of mana.

If you have ambitions of doing consistent dps and dropping big nukes for groups wizard is not the class for you. Magician does this much better with it's pet.

If you want to burn down a single mob (or later, up to 4 mobs) in a few seconds, then go back to afk for a large number of minutes, then maybe you'll enjoy wizard.

Gorgen (Blue) - Agnostic Troll Warrior of the XXXI Dung

Old 04-13-2023, 01:26 AM
Planar Protector

Sadly Wizards are just lame and not that good. They are by far the worst pure caster. And ports really aren’t that good considering there are a million druids that can port you nearly to every wizard location and can give SOW at the same time.

The devs should have balanced the 3 worst classes out by doing to following

Rangers are the only class that can track and get a wolf pet as good as necros (Basically becomes chain wearing beast lord)

Warriors get an added 10 hp regen per tick. 50% more HPs and bonuses to bind wound.

Wizard have innate mana regen equal to clarity and stacks with other mana regen spells and songs. Wizards also get a percent of mana steal back from all damage given.

I know some of you will shit over this post, but truly those 3 classes need nerfed in a good way. Also before you say warriors don’t need any improvements, they are seriously only good at level 60, with near BIS gear and disciplines active. Up to that point, you are better off playing a paladin, SK, or monk.