Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Blue Community > Blue Server Chat

Closed Thread

Old 08-13-2011, 08:25 PM
Orc

1. It broke up the montony of grinding XP.
2. It added an enhanced sense of adventure because wandering and exploring was more than just avoiding high level mobs.
3. Defeating a player is often more exciting and interesting than defeating a programmed encounter.
4. There was none of that nonsense of 2 or more guilds sitting around a spawn point waiting to tag something.
5. It greatly enhanced the sense of accomplishment in progression when you had to defeat people and encounters.

^ ^

- Would also revitalize server pop and just a more exciting experience overall imo...but then again I have a sac. [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Old 08-13-2011, 08:36 PM
Aviak

Quote:
Originally Posted by abedog [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
- Would also revitalize server pop and just a more exciting experience overall imo...but then again I have a sac. [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Indeed. I would be able to gravity flux + falling death XP loss in PVP again! That was always exciting [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

I'm kidding of course, but this used to happen in the Arena ALL the time :P Sunday Afternoon was PVP day on our server; lots of people came there consistently until sometime after Velious.

I get the sense there is a loud vocal minority supporting Red99. I think it's a great idea, but servers cost time and money so I can understand the delay/reluctance.

I just don't want to see /guildwar feature being advertised as a means of making a some kind of psuedo-Red99 here using a couple of guilds, since the effort toward a true Red99 loses steam.

Red99 => Look around every corner. I'm coming for you :P
Blue99 w/ Guildwar => There's a guy coming around the corner..oh wait, he is blue.

Originally from Tarew Marr. May it rest in peace, as it died to become Drinal :'(
Old 08-13-2011, 08:50 PM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kobias [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Sure. If they both accept. I'm just pointing out in reality it wont. It didn't happen in real EQ over bosses, and only Red99 people are going to push for it here.

My point is just that you're suggesting it'll solve Trakanon problems by letting people fight for it, which wont work. This isn't an attack on you personally, as I think /guildwar feature would be really cool. I had fun doing it in EQLive, until a level 50 came and killed me while I was 17 [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]. I just don't see it being used for the reasons you suggest it would be.
Yes well, that's all irrelevant to a discussion on a hypothetical situation anyways. I assumed people were talking about the potential uses for /guildwar, rather than discussing whether it would actually be used or not.

Quote:
I just don't want to see /guildwar feature being advertised as a means of making a some kind of psuedo-Red99 here using a couple of guilds, since the effort toward a true Red99 loses steam.
Citation needed. I see no evidence one way or another that such is the case. :P
Odinty Treeguard - Level 58 Druid (Level 9)
Vmek Shadowsong - Level 51 Bard (Level 5)
Odibin Deathbearer - Level 36 Necromancer (Level 13)
Last edited by Stormhowl; 08-13-2011 at 08:52 PM..
Old 08-13-2011, 08:55 PM
Kobold

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by stormlord [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Get some glasses buddy; or reread. Make a red guild. Then you can heal each other.

It would be like a challenge. You can still trade with blue players ya know. With enough time, red guilds would start popping up to compete against you just for kicks. (Well, this is what I think would happen.)
I already have glasses, thank you!

I've turned my book in on too many blue servers, though. And I know how it would go. Even if an entire guild turns in their books, that cuts that guild off from the rest of the server to a certain extent. No pick up groups (unless maybe you could be dps classes that don't need outside buffs/healing), no porting/buffing random people for money..

it's just a headache and gimps your character.

bluebie extraordinaire
Old 08-13-2011, 10:07 PM
Aviak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormhowl [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Yes well, that's all irrelevant to a discussion on a hypothetical situation anyways. I assumed people were talking about the potential uses for /guildwar, rather than discussing whether it would actually be used or not.
Don't assume :P

I didn't read all the posts in this thread, so fair enough on that. Just voicing my overall opinion of guildwar based on the Original post on page1.

It's not irrelevant though, since hypothetically speaking, a guildwar for guilds fighting over Trakanon would be pointless =p

The overall goal of this thread is to come up with a compelling reason (or to spark interest in) that Devs should implement this, other than "classic". Trak isn't one of them.

I could see Guildwars being used in GM events; such as Team-based Level-1 Gnome H2H Brawls or something. Heh. But not to settle contested spawn conflicts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormhowl [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Citation needed. I see no evidence one way or another that such is the case. :P
Tags.
+Obvious time of developing this. It's not simple, having looked at it myself.
> Needs a new DB Table: Guildwars -- Persist wars beyond restarts.
> Needs editing the attack-able code (which is rather lengthy and full of IFs already, and in multiple places).
> Needs to send a RED PVP player tag to opposing guilded players so they can visually determine a guildwar is in-place. But, not appear to be PVP red to those not in a guildwar (EQ Did this).

I'd rather devs not spend time working on a feature for (probably primarily) Red99 supporters, in an effort to please that crowd, when they could instead just make the Red99 server that they want.

I'm not trying to suggest that it's either /Guildwar feature OR Red99. But, both are for the same crowd, so It's really up to you for figuring out which you'd rather have. Mainly, /guildwar is the cop-out solution, to bringing more PVP to Blue99. Admittedly, both would be great.

Originally from Tarew Marr. May it rest in peace, as it died to become Drinal :'(
Old 08-13-2011, 10:25 PM
Planar Protector

From a dev perspective, implementing /guildwar is FAR less risk/effort than doing a red server. The two aren't even comparable.

It would placate a lot of the "red crowd" without bringing the risk of sapping population from P1999 and requiring lots of staff/overhead for a server that would probably cap out at around ~50% of what P1999 pulls.

Don't get me wrong - I'd fucking love a red1999 server - but that is the reality of the situation.

Guildwar was a feature of classic blue server EQ. Maybe people didn't use it on every blue server, but I can vouch that we used it plenty on my blue server and it made the game way more fun. It is a very clean and hands-off way of providing a PvP option.
Old 08-14-2011, 12:58 AM
Kobold

I don't PvP but if it was classic I say go for it
Closed Thread