Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Blue Community > Blue Server Chat

Closed Thread

Old 08-16-2011, 11:38 AM
Kobold

Not stating anything but the obvious below, but worth thinking through atleast!

Honestly, the snap aggro as as SK is rediculous and works just about every time - Darkness Line + Disease Line. In fact these two spells, available to all SK's regardless of gear, etc, pretty much negates the whole aggro conversation up to the mid levels (I cant speak for the high end).

So that leaves the following factors: DPS versus Damage Mitigation.

Under 20, without a "knight 1 hander" (such as what started with Ghoulbane for pallys, and now weapons such as noct and ebon mace), your better off using a fast 2 hander with around 15 damage (because your going to be capped at ~ 28 dmg till 20+). Shields and mitigation are not particuarly important at this stage of the game, and a "normal" 1 hander just isnt going to reach the damage cap pre 20.

20+, the dps possibilities expand greatly, and 2 handers take on a whole new meaning. If you still have no knight sword, go for a good ratio 2 hander, and speed isnt quite as important as packing a punch (obviously stay away from things like weighted axe though!). Ditching the damage cap means all of a sudden your capable of dealing 2x as much damage at 20 as you were at 19 using 2handers.

If you DO have a knightsword, I honestly believe a sword and board to be the best combo. Our role is to tank (usually), and anything we can do to mitigate damage benefits the entire group. Warriors, of course, need to worry more about aggro than SKs, hence the reason you see proc weapons dual wielded more often than not. As a SK, dont worry about procs, worry more about making the most of that shield. I parsed a fight with two sabretooths (same level) in OT - one with 2hander (Granite Face Grinder) and 1 with sword and board (Noct + Atramentous). Damage taken was almost 15% less with Shield, not to mention stats offered on the shield.

To boil it down, my personal preference is:
Pre 20 - fast 2 hander
Post 20 - Knight Sword + Good Shield
Old 08-16-2011, 11:53 AM
Kobold

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dunes [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Not stating anything but the obvious below, but worth thinking through atleast!

Honestly, the snap aggro as as SK is rediculous and works just about every time - Darkness Line + Disease Line. In fact these two spells, available to all SK's regardless of gear, etc, pretty much negates the whole aggro conversation up to the mid levels (I cant speak for the high end).

So that leaves the following factors: DPS versus Damage Mitigation.

Under 20, without a "knight 1 hander" (such as what started with Ghoulbane for pallys, and now weapons such as noct and ebon mace), your better off using a fast 2 hander with around 15 damage (because your going to be capped at ~ 28 dmg till 20+). Shields and mitigation are not particuarly important at this stage of the game, and a "normal" 1 hander just isnt going to reach the damage cap pre 20.

20+, the dps possibilities expand greatly, and 2 handers take on a whole new meaning. If you still have no knight sword, go for a good ratio 2 hander, and speed isnt quite as important as packing a punch (obviously stay away from things like weighted axe though!). Ditching the damage cap means all of a sudden your capable of dealing 2x as much damage at 20 as you were at 19 using 2handers.

If you DO have a knightsword, I honestly believe a sword and board to be the best combo. Our role is to tank (usually), and anything we can do to mitigate damage benefits the entire group. Warriors, of course, need to worry more about aggro than SKs, hence the reason you see proc weapons dual wielded more often than not. As a SK, dont worry about procs, worry more about making the most of that shield. I parsed a fight with two sabretooths (same level) in OT - one with 2hander (Granite Face Grinder) and 1 with sword and board (Noct + Atramentous). Damage taken was almost 15% less with Shield, not to mention stats offered on the shield.

To boil it down, my personal preference is:
Pre 20 - fast 2 hander
Post 20 - Knight Sword + Good Shield
This was an excellent post, thanks for replying. [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

I think I tend favor play style and visual appeal with my weapon choices. For instance, on my troll characters I prefer 2-handers because I think it suits the race better visually and in what I imagine a troll attitude to be like. Plus I feel like I have that Slam racial ability and I should take advantage of it. However, on say a Human or Erudite I tend to favor a 1-hander + shield because a) I get to hit the Bash button, which is a BLAST, let me tell you and b) I feel like it's more in line with the styles/attitudes of those races.

I guess if you ask the majority of players, I have silly reasons for the way I play and equipment choices. But I'm not totally against min/maxing, and I will definitely keep your experience in mind as I play my SK!
Closed Thread