Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Rants and Flames

Old 09-03-2023, 03:19 PM
Banned

I feel like those satire drinking motivational memes apply to how I stay bad at p99
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_2874.jpg (20.7 KB, 0 views)
Old 09-03-2023, 03:43 PM
Kobold

Most people on p99, after 24 years of EQ osmosis, play their class to a base level of competency that would have far exceeded the average 60 23 years ago. The main thing people are bad at is p99 specific meta stuff like wort pot usage, social and secondary aggro mechanics, warrior aggro as it relates to the dps and debuffers, the precise way raid mob AEs and spellcast works especially in regards to mob and player positioning, etc etc

They don't wanna learn all that crap. And who can blame them.
Old 09-03-2023, 05:08 PM
Planar Protector

I was bad.
Was a static grouping wiz with a staff of fhe wheel and star of eyes.
Instant clicky Identify. Was it a gcd reset? Dunno, hadnt even heard of it back then. If that makes me le badz so be it.

Relax. Play da game. Dont be afraid to be a member of the "Im the best at EQ and I shut my smartarse fat mouth" club.
Old 09-03-2023, 06:41 PM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by zelld52 [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
My son, who doesn't speak english, likes to log in a cleric any time I die to rez me.

He doesn't play besides that. He only likes to rez and buff. SO I let him leech exp every one in a while.
My 9 year old autistic daughter inexplicably became fascinated with a 25 year old video game that is primarily played by 45 year old unemployed men.

The only thing that soothes her is to cast complete heal on me every 11 seconds for hours on end. So I let her do it. She is also nonverbal with limited motor skills so please don't make her do a GM Boxing test as that would be ableist.
Old 09-03-2023, 11:05 PM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by zelld52 [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I know.

Because you chose the path most travelled. Unrest, Mistmoore, City of Mist and Karnors from 20-60.

Because you sat in camp as a rogue AFK watching YouTube waiting for pulls.

Because you didn't practice splitting mobs on pulls as a monk, you just threw on a Fungi, IFS and got to 50.

Because you don't Bind Wound as a shaman.

Because you swarmed your bard to 60.

Because you did Wakening Land Geonids to 60.

Because your guild has 100 people on a raid, so you don't really contribute anything, anyway.
Rmt account buying or buying PL or just the fact that there are lots and lots of bads
Old 09-03-2023, 11:18 PM
Fire Giant

Pro tip.

Most people can’t play their class even if they think they’re good at it. The average mage owner can’t run a quad da. Average rogue can’t get a doze engage and position a da to disc. Average nec can’t pet walk around for shit. Average shaman can’t bind sight a pet and fd/pet walk/doesn’t carry ant javs/emeralds/can’t stand to top slot chloroplast. Average monk can’t do much of any use. Average warrior has no concept of an engage/covering gaps with worts and reaper or has any real clue about mechanics of aggro. Average Druid generally sucks at getting a pet set up/knowing every succor point etc. any class has a million failures on this server as most people are terrible at eq. Luckily they’re carried.

None of that stuff has anything to do with leveling.
Old 09-03-2023, 11:33 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solist [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Pro tip.

Most people can’t play their class even if they think they’re good at it. The average mage owner can’t run a quad da. Average rogue can’t get a doze engage and position a da to disc. Average nec can’t pet walk around for shit. Average shaman can’t bind sight a pet and fd/pet walk/doesn’t carry ant javs/emeralds/can’t stand to top slot chloroplast. Average monk can’t do much of any use. Average warrior has no concept of an engage/covering gaps with worts and reaper or has any real clue about mechanics of aggro. Average Druid generally sucks at getting a pet set up/knowing every succor point etc. any class has a million failures on this server as most people are terrible at eq. Luckily they’re carried.

None of that stuff has anything to do with leveling.
That doesn't seem like useful knowledge to have.
Old 09-04-2023, 04:01 AM
Kobold

a lot of people struggle with the fundamentals of not having huge gaps inbetween their spell casts, cant target what they want to, staying in melee range of what they're trying to hit, not keyboard turning, strafe running to outrun mobs etc. even concepts like "dont stand next to the rooted mob" and "breaking mez is a bad idea" are too complex to grasp for some people.

tons of people play druid or necro w/o ever having casted a charm spell in their life when they can single handedly carry an entire group with it. i've even seen enchanters play in groups and not charm anything, they just stand in a corner and walk back to their PC every 30 minutes to refresh buffs.

the game doesn't require a lot from people while leveling anyways - almost every class in the game can solo well into their 50s by doing nothing but killing 1 single spawn mob in some random ass zone w/ no other mobs around every 6 minutes.

playing in a group and not being afk 50% of the time is enough to get you recognized as an above average player, the bar is on the floor.

i dont blame ppl though - the community is willing to carry people that are barely cognizant of their surroundings at best or half afk because they're tabbed out watching netflix / playing a different game / doing chores around the house. same goes for being a warmbody in raid - the guy hard carrying by scoring FTE / pulling / DA training (whatever the raid meta is these days, i havent played since obama was president) is getting the same dkp for killing the dragon as the guy who is sitting in highpass farming DA idols.
Old 09-04-2023, 06:08 AM
Planar Protector

If the community is happy with a certain standard maybe the things you value aren’t as important to playing together as you think they are?

Gorgen (Blue) - Agnostic Troll Warrior of the XXXI Dung

Old 09-04-2023, 09:39 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimjam [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
If the community is happy with a certain standard maybe the things you value aren’t as important to playing together as you think they are?
I’m assuming on P99 this all has to do with non-instanced raiding causing there to be many more times the necessary people to accomplish a task, and for grouping having twinked gear trivialize the content

The alternative isn’t all sunshine and rainbows neither though. From what I heard WoW retail mythic+ raids are insane. Not only does literally everyone have to be 100% on point with many, many different raid mechanics (like stand here, now stand there, no go get this item and place it here, etc) all at once, but every player has to be perfect like that for 10-15 minutes straight during a fight or everyone instantly dies

People say it sucks and it’s stressful. Average players like Asmongold won’t raid anymore because of it. So it’s a delicate line between too easy and too stressful sometimes