Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Off Topic

Closed Thread

Old 08-27-2012, 03:01 PM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by utenan [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I wish they would never introduce battlegrounds. They turned pvp into a repetitive, instanced, pve like grind that had no meaning.
Battlegrounds and Arena gave PvP signifigance in WoW. If PvP is a grind to you, you're either in really low arena brackets or opt to sitting afk in AV during the CtA weekends for honor rather than actually PvPing. The only difference World PvP has over BG PvP is you have longer res timers in WPvP and you weren't in an instance of x amount of people. Also, in BG PvP you actually get rewarded with nice gear so PvErs don't get to automatically dominate the PvP scene.

The only effect world PvP had was grief because lowbies couldn't quest for shit once everybody started calling in their friends. Guards and quest givers were frequently camped by dickasses who wanted more world defence callouts.

Take nostalgia goggles off pls. Without BGs and Arenas people wouldn't be able to keep their interest in that area of the game because before BGs there was absolutely no reward for fighting other than for the fun of it, which often came at the expense of people who weren't max level. If anything, world PvP had no meaning and continues to have no meaning today.

Want big fights? IoC.
Farming honor? AV, they ruined that so it's only good for the Battlemaster meta and AFKing.
Want smaller team fights? Everything else except SotA.
Want even smaller fights that have an extremely high skill ceiling? Arena.
SotA sucks. So does WoW limited to world PvP.

I also sometimes wish that battlegroups weren't created, but then I remember waiting for hours just to get into a single AV and I don't wish for it anymore.
Old 08-27-2012, 03:03 PM
Orc

It is a mad dash. Hurry up and see who can get to the other side first, smash the commander, PVP points rain down on you in a glorious fashion. Rinse/Repeat.

I always liked heading into the enemy storm and seeing how many people I could get to try and come after make.....yes 35 people......follow me away from the objective.
Old 08-27-2012, 04:45 PM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Breeziyo [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Battlegrounds and Arena gave PvP signifigance in WoW. If PvP is a grind to you, you're either in really low arena brackets or opt to sitting afk in AV during the CtA weekends for honor rather than actually PvPing. The only difference World PvP has over BG PvP is you have longer res timers in WPvP and you weren't in an instance of x amount of people. Also, in BG PvP you actually get rewarded with nice gear so PvErs don't get to automatically dominate the PvP scene.

The only effect world PvP had was grief because lowbies couldn't quest for shit once everybody started calling in their friends. Guards and quest givers were frequently camped by dickasses who wanted more world defence callouts.

Take nostalgia goggles off pls. Without BGs and Arenas people wouldn't be able to keep their interest in that area of the game because before BGs there was absolutely no reward for fighting other than for the fun of it, which often came at the expense of people who weren't max level. If anything, world PvP had no meaning and continues to have no meaning today.

Want big fights? IoC.
Farming honor? AV, they ruined that so it's only good for the Battlemaster meta and AFKing.
Want smaller team fights? Everything else except SotA.
Want even smaller fights that have an extremely high skill ceiling? Arena.
SotA sucks. So does WoW limited to world PvP.

I also sometimes wish that battlegroups weren't created, but then I remember waiting for hours just to get into a single AV and I don't wish for it anymore.
Battlegounds were a grind, to me, not pvp. I just wish they had built the game,without instances. As flawed as Everquest pvp was/is it was great in so many ways because it effected the game world and everyone in it. Before bg's came out that is kind of what wow was like. Contested areas always had fights and pvp going on and it affected what you were going to do. Sometimes you got griefed but oh well. I have infinitely more memories of eq pvp and wow before battlegrounds, than of bg fights.

Why in the world you would want to remove people from your game and put them in instances where, win or loose, nothing changed or mattered is beyond me. I guess it is more convenient for people ( the name of the game in wow ) but I never remember stuff that is convenient, I remember challenges and obstacles a lot more I guess. The horde would kill our flightmasters in southshore which was a pain, but it made me and my friends want to go kill them, and we would , as well as many others. Yes you can say " well that's a pain in the ass and would get boring after a few times." And you are right, I just wish they made the damned game with pvp in mind ( like the sand in Silithis but you know, not stupid ). In DAOC when your realm held enough keeps your entire realm got bonuses. That was a really cool way to motive people to pvp and make it rewarding, and kept you invested. But wow had...nothing..like that.

AV was a lot better and more memorable than the others. Really, your right about world pvp not having meaning, in wow, because of how they approached it / made it. But i still enjoy fighting people for zone control or for fun instead of doing wsg 20 times because you get more honor for completing a game than for killing people.

Bg's being introduced was a lot like the bazaar being introduced. I remember people slowly leaving EC till it was empty and people slowly stopped fighting in wow zones and it makes me sad.

Everquest Mysteries http://www.project1999.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=231587
Last edited by utenan; 08-27-2012 at 06:47 PM..
Old 08-27-2012, 04:58 PM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamwiseBanned [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
While I hate the Arena, I did enjoy the BGs to come extent. The first time I did AV i was like D= Cooperating pve (side quests to upgrade buffs and summon monsters mid field) with mass pvp with objectives (taking bunkers) ending in you fighting the opposing commander was awesome. I remember AV matches going for days because it was just constant back and forth action. Damn AV was so much fun the first few times. I hear now its just a race to the commander in which both teams bypass each other in order to end it ASAP. RIP Epic AV
Old av was really cool and better than the other two imo. It did feel a lot more interactive, and like you were in the actual game world. I do remember some really long and amazing av's.

Everquest Mysteries http://www.project1999.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=231587
Old 08-28-2012, 01:53 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamwiseBanned [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
While I hate the Arena, I did enjoy the BGs to come extent. The first time I did AV i was like D= Cooperating pve (side quests to upgrade buffs and summon monsters mid field) with mass pvp with objectives (taking bunkers) ending in you fighting the opposing commander was awesome. I remember AV matches going for days because it was just constant back and forth action. Damn AV was so much fun the first few times. I hear now its just a race to the commander in which both teams bypass each other in order to end it ASAP. RIP Epic AV
Race to the commander is all I ever experienced in AV. I heard about the epic fights and wanted so bad to play them but I started WoW too late for that.

I wouldn't mind a WoW server where people do world pvp objectives like in Silithus.
Old 08-28-2012, 02:26 AM
Planar Protector

mmmm week long AV battles that only ended because of weekly maintenance. If I could actually sit and play it for more than 2hrs without getting bored as balls, I'd definitely roll up a rogue.
Old 09-01-2012, 10:37 PM
Sarnak

http://addons.resurrection-gaming.net/

addons
Old 09-02-2012, 09:56 AM
Fire Giant

I'd imagine that that server will still shut down after a short amount of time..... rebirth has been up for a while now, and still will be. pop increase as well, pretty nice.
Old 09-02-2012, 04:00 PM
Kobold

Feenix has been around for years now. They're not quite as slick as an organization like Molten WoW, but they have successfully run multiple Classic/TBC servers long enough to show that they don't just roll up FoTM servers on a whim.

Like classic EQ, you're going to have to ride the nostalgia waves pretty hard to stay interested enough to level up a character on Emerald Dream. Addons like SuperMacro help with the UI, but the game mechanics might be unpalatable if you've played any of the later expansions. I'd recommend giving it a go just for old time's sake, but don't be disappointed if you can't recapture the magic.

Edit: 1,068 players online on a Friday night.

http://www.wow-one.com/forum/topic/2...85#entry208285
Last edited by Anesthia; 09-02-2012 at 04:30 PM..
Closed Thread