Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Blue Community > Blue Server Chat

Closed Thread

Old 11-28-2012, 12:07 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rykk [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Currency in the real world makes sense.... you can buy food, clothing, shelter, entertainment, transportation etc. In the Everquest world currency isn't real, you don't need to buy food and water, you don't need to buy a house or a car or a beer with friends. What i'm getting at is that you can't buy anything other than an item that someone camped... which took them time and can actually be worn or used... plat has no real "use" so why would you trade the item for something that you can't buy anything with is what i'm getting at. No other real way to get this point across.
You can buy those things in the real world because people realize the value in money. You can have the same question in the real world as you can with Everquest platinum. There is no value backing the US dollar anymore, since it isn't on the gold standard (which isn't much better since gold is another perceived value, only maintaining its value since it is limited).

If you produce something that spoils you need to sell it right then and there. You can't wait until someone that has what you want wants what you have.

Whether or not you can wrap your mind around it or not know this. If I wanted any single item that you were currently wearing on your main I could buy it from you for a price. Even from you, the one saying plat is pointless, would make the transaction.
Old 11-28-2012, 12:14 PM
Kobold

Sorry, I keep reading and nothing but South Park episodes just keep blowing up my roflcopter.

[You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

Space Cash!
Old 11-28-2012, 12:20 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alarti0001 [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
The only way US currency will have 0 value is if scarcity no longer exists. 2050 is a more likely scenario.
And this will happen as soon as the banks let all the money they print out into the real economy. Right now inflation is being kept artificially low. We are going the way of the Weirmar Republic because of deficit spending and no regulations and transparency on what the Federal Reserve does. When hyper-inflation hits, and it will, the world will be run by the banks, because guess who owns most of the world's commodities...
Old 11-28-2012, 12:31 PM
Banned

Old 11-28-2012, 12:34 PM
Planar Protector

The OP is brilliant. You all just can't see it.
Old 11-28-2012, 01:06 PM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rykk [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
and by this I mean why is it useful.... think about it, you can't actually buy anything with it other than gems for jewel craft. *which only enchanters do* or spells which becomes irrelevant because you don't need 100k to buy spells from a vendor. People buy items from other players with it, but why....? if there were shops in the game that you could buy useful weapons or armor from then I can see a use for it. In the real world money represents time and time is important because we have a finite amount of it and so because of that we attach a value to it. In EQ you can buy something for 100k which means nothing to the person holding the 100k because they can't actually spend it on anything.... its just the useless trading of monies

If there were absolutely no plat sinks in the game then this would be true. But plat is paid to vendors for a great many things including recharging clicky items like midnight mallets, WC gate caps, puppet strings, and a large number of other items used on raids, people grouping, soloing, and power levelling. Because of these plat sinks which remain at a fixed rate, then arguably all other services items and commodities that plat can be exchanged for will have a value relative to these fixed rates but also affected by other factors like supply and demand. As such platinum holds value in game relative to the time it takes to accumulate.
Old 11-28-2012, 01:14 PM
Large Bat

Quote:
legit question, tell me what u can actually do with the plat? if you had 500k and you had 3 people on the server what would be the point of having 500k....you couldn't do anything with it. So why would having this amount on a server with 600 change that? I feel like trading items would be far smarter than buying items on a game
For the same reason that having 500K dollars in real life would be pointless if there are only 3 people on the planet, and suddenly becomes use full when there are tons of people.
Old 11-28-2012, 02:03 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alarti0001 [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
The only way US currency will have 0 value is if scarcity no longer exists. 2050 is a more likely scenario.
The USD has already lost over 90% of its value since Nixon took us off the gold standard.
in words of anal fingers, just a filthy spaniard
Old 11-28-2012, 02:06 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitchens [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Except it's not when there's actually evidence. Read up on the Weimar Republic's hyper inflation, then do a little study on how the Federal Reserve operates (which is only federal in name, it's a privatly run establishment) and tell me they're not doing the exact same thing, except the Federal Reserve isn't doing it to try to hold down inflation, they're doing it to make about 300 bankers obscene amounts of money and in turn, turning that money into commodities, because guess what's going to have value when money doesn't?
Old 11-28-2012, 02:14 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Splorf22 [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
The USD has already lost over 90% of its value since Nixon took us off the gold standard.
The dollar started to lose it's value when the Federal Reserve was created, because from that point forward every dollar was printed as debt. Debt that is paid for by Federal Income Taxes (that's right, if there was no Federal Reserve, there would be no 16 Trillion Dollar Debt and you wouldn't be paying 20% of your paycheck to pay the interest on that debt). If there was no Federal Reserve, the dollar would only be worth a small fraction less than it was in the early 1900's, because the inflation would have matched the amount of new gold coming in the market which would have been less than 1% per year.
Closed Thread