Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Rants and Flames

Closed Thread

Old 06-17-2010, 11:24 AM
Scrawny Gnoll

Quote:
Originally Posted by eqdruid76 [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Did you even ever play EQ live?
lol @ eqdruid76 being the judge on names here [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

Eq live was pretty lenient about names, certainly much more than those nazi SoD rules. My friend had a shaman named Safety and he /surname'd Dance, and a GM came pretty quickly and had to change it due to copyright worries. But the GM had no problem changing his surname to "Goggles", lol. Obviously GM's were more of a case-by-case thing back then though and I'm sure someone else might have not approved.

So far this server seems about on par with classic live names as I remember it. Absor and whoever back in the day might have gotten their panties twisted over anyone with a name that didn't sound like it came out of LOTR, but the actual game climate was a mix of clever names and fantasy ones, and no one seemed to mind. I've certainly never seen anyone flip their shit over a surname like "Nicemace", and honestly that's probably more your problem than his if you're going to ignore someone over that. By that ridiculous logic a dwarf with the surname Goodbeard would also be unacceptable.
Old 06-17-2010, 05:58 PM
Skeleton

Oh, the irony. I was logged in for about an hour today when I got the following message:

[You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

If P99 was trying for the true "Classic EQ" experience, congratulations, you have achieved it. This exemplifies everything I remember about Classic EQ.

-- Schade, P99
Old 06-17-2010, 06:08 PM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by SchadenFreude [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Oh, the irony.
Not really ironic, but yeah I feel your pain.

Edit: I guess it is kind of ironic. Schadenfreude is actually an English word so his reasoning behind your name escaping detection for years is kind of stupid.
Last edited by pickled_heretic; 06-17-2010 at 06:12 PM..
Old 06-17-2010, 06:13 PM
Sarnak

nevermind.
Old 06-17-2010, 06:48 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Edit: I guess it is kind of ironic. Schadenfreude is actually an English word so his reasoning behind your name escaping detection for years is kind of stupid.
Schadenfreude is a german word ...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Schadenfreude

please get your facts straight [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.] and if i recall, the naming policy says that first and last name can not form words ... so "Schade Nfreude" is definatly against it ... no matter in what language you want to use it ...
Old 06-17-2010, 06:51 PM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uaellaen [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

Exactly this. And by the way Migger, there IS a naming policy and i AM a GM.

And the reason was not that it formed a phrase, but firstname and lastname can not form words or phrases. Clearly this is a word, or do you want to denie this?
Old 06-17-2010, 07:04 PM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uaellaen [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

please get your facts straight
Also an English word:

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/schadenfreude

Now it is you who must "please get your facts straight."

edit: it's even ironic considering the wikipedia article clearly states that the word is English as well.
Last edited by pickled_heretic; 06-17-2010 at 07:08 PM..
Old 06-17-2010, 07:14 PM
Planar Protector

can you not read?
Quote:
This German word is used as a loanword in English and some other languages
Old 06-17-2010, 07:16 PM
Skeleton

Schadenfreude is a word in the english language. True, it is derived from a german word, but that doesn't change that it is, in fact, an english word. It is also allowed on the live servers.

While we are on the topic, "schade" is also a word. It means "harm". Freude is a word that means "joy". Likewise, "schadenfreude" is a word.

What about names that sound like a word? "Bob" could be considered a word, and not a name, since it is what a cork does in the water. "Pat" must not be a valid name either, because it is an action. QUICK! Alert the almight christian God himself so he can right these wrongs! We dont want humans walking the face of the earth with names that are also words in their native tongue! See my earlier post, in this thread no less, where I stated the two most common reasons guides in Classic EQ changed player names. It is very relevant to this incident.

Are we only allowed to create LOTR-sounding names with 15 vowels in them? Is that really what the naming policy is all about? Do we really have to do a /who list in East Commons and identify the 90 percent of names which would not fit your perfect definition of an acceptable name?

Let's try to make P99 into what EQ should have become by fixing the things that the initial release got wrong. We don't need to go around with the name-hammer just because "Thats what guides did in Classic EQ".
Old 06-17-2010, 07:20 PM
Fire Giant

Quote:
can you not read?
Schadenfreude is a word in the English dictionary; it can therefore be said that Schadenfreude is an English word based on the highest authority English speakers have.

I don't know how you could make this any more clear than has already been made. Just because Schadenfreude is a German word doesn't mean it isn't also an English word. But since you're having a hard time understanding, I'll provide some more examples of shared German and English words:

angst
kindergarten
sauerkraut
aspirin
blitz
flak

would you like me to go on, or are we finished here?
Closed Thread