Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Blue Community > Blue Server Chat

View Poll Results: Put an end to account buying and selling?
Yes 273 70.18%
No 116 29.82%
Voters: 389. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 05-02-2013, 02:21 PM
Kobold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhambuk [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
if theyve leveled 1 2 3 4..some people here have legitimately levled 5+ lvl 60 characters. at this point if they just want to raid i think they have earned the right to just skip the leveling process if they want.
This is a sentiment that has been voiced from time to time by retail WoW players. Blizzard has responded by providing buffs/gear that effectively quadruple the experience rate in the best-case scenario.

This being classic EQ 14 years later, I would think that anyone who plays here would appreciate the time/effort required to achieve level 60. I voted yes because the removal of account selling would improve the quality of the player base and thus, the experience. Characterizing the necessary additional policing as burdensome and therefore undesirable is an attempt to hand-wave it away. Once efficient methods for enforcement are developed, the cost:benefit ratio will be advantageous.

Besides, if you want to fast-track the path to max level you can always go play on red. [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Old 05-02-2013, 03:22 PM
Kobold

It's about having a level playing field. If you can't camp epic pieces because a farmer is always there that isn't getting it because he needs it, but just to make money, that is not a level playing field. If mid class characters are passed on in groups because there are already 5 other twinks on the list at a camp that bought their gear with RMT purchases, that is not a leveling playing field.

MQ and account trades really are a problem for new players. I personally could care less what players who have reached 60, exploited bugs in the early patches of the server, and monopolize camps have to say about it. That's just like asking politicians whether they should be held accountable for getting free health care etc. Of course they are not going to want to lose an unfair advantage.
Old 05-02-2013, 03:23 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by veejur [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
It's about having a level playing field.
[You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Old 05-02-2013, 03:33 PM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhambuk [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Some people don't have the time to sit at one camp for hours on end, just a few hours here and there to level up. Used to be a great way for casuals to make money but screw them right? back to farming seafuries to try and save for that fungi. If only people could play the way they wanted....

not aiming at you just using fungi example =p
If people could play the way they wanted, I would be twoboxing right now.

This argument that account traders should be allowed to because they enjoy it, irritates me. This can be used as the same exact argument for two-boxing, and yet its not so vehemently argued.
Old 05-02-2013, 03:35 PM
Kobold

70% of the poll base says yes, ban this shit.

-Hustle 59 Cleric <Forceful Entry>

For our battle is not against flesh and blood, but against the rulers, against the authorities, against the world powers of this darkness, against the spiritual forces of evil in the heavens. -Ephesians 6:12
Old 05-02-2013, 04:34 PM
Kobold

Quote:
Originally Posted by smokemon [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
/thread
Old 05-02-2013, 05:03 PM
Planar Protector

Banning Account selling is not going to stop RMT. Heck a CoF even a Fungi cost more than a lot of accounts sell for. So you would have to stop buying and selling period. Ain't going to happen. But I can see both sides of this argument.

The only down side to account selling I have seen is grouping with a level 60 that has NO clue how to play the toon in a group. And if it is the puller Oh Boy. [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.] Pretty much tells you it was just bought one way or the other. I am sure once in great awhile it is someones brother playing it though.
Old 05-02-2013, 05:06 PM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by smokemon [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
yeah but you bought Hustle [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Old 05-02-2013, 05:06 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by xCry0x [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
This.

From playing mmo's since I was 12 I have learned 2 general overlying types of players exist.

1) Those who enjoy 'the grind' and take pride in leveling multiple characters.
2) Those who enjoy min/maxing their one character to hell. (This can be getting best in slot, farming a pile of money etc).

The people who fall into #1 hate then the people who fall into #2 trivialize their sense of accomplishment by buying accounts instead of leveling them.

The people who fall into #2 never understand why anyone would want to be in #1.

EQ also has a #3 category which is the EC trader who typically pisses #1 and #2 off buy never leveling past level 20, which upsets #1 and then buying/selling for all the best gear in the game without ever dealing with raids which pisses off #2.

All 3 of those people enjoy the game in their own way and it is not the place of anyone to sit on a high horse and demand the game be changed to benefit one over the other. All 3 play the game and simply invest their time differently.
Halmir, I love you.

Oh yea .... Piss Off.

H
Old 05-02-2013, 05:11 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirtnap [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
If people could play the way they wanted, I would be twoboxing right now.

This argument that account traders should be allowed to because they enjoy it, irritates me. This can be used as the same exact argument for two-boxing, and yet its not so vehemently argued.
2boxxing would actually be detrimental to the server.

banning account sales merely removes a minor annoyance that "ruins" some peoples immersion. its not going to stop anything except the people that don't like it wont have to look at it anymore.

I'm just glad I don't plan on leveling up another char, fighting with powerlevelers for mobs was never really fun for me...

Oh yea .... Piss Off.

H
Closed Thread