Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Important > News & Announcements

Closed Thread

Old 03-24-2014, 09:52 AM
Kobold

The server population is just fine. Pay to win won't solve RMT at all. It doesn't stop people cheating with other games and it wouldn't stop it here. Enforcing server rules and banning people works just as well.

On live you can practically pay for plat by purchasing a Krono from SOE and selling it in game which is perfectly fine as far as soe are concerned. But there's still people RMTing em cheaper.
Last edited by Rika; 03-24-2014 at 09:53 AM.. Reason: grammar
Old 03-24-2014, 09:55 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wanyo [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Honestly , if there is a big need for purchasing items or plat, especially those who want to play but do not have the time to invest grinding 60 hours a week for loot, should have some kind of pay for plat option. This problem will continue as long as you have casual people playing this server trying to compete with people who have the time to grind. The gms should consider some kind of donation for plat program so anyone who has the desire to play and doesn't have the time have an option. This would also help the server pop. I understand this isn't classic, but most of us were kids during classic as well and had the time and energy to grind.
No. If you don't have time to enjoy EQ the way it was ment to be then maybe it's time you move on. If your can't handle coming to a game late and being behind people then just turn around and head out the way you came in. Not everyone here who is rich started in the first year of p99. Some were late to the show and still were able to level up and enjoy it without cheating.
Old 03-24-2014, 10:04 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wanyo [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Honestly , if there is a big need for purchasing items or plat, especially those who want to play but do not have the time to invest grinding 60 hours a week for loot, should have some kind of pay for plat option. This problem will continue as long as you have casual people playing this server trying to compete with people who have the time to grind. The gms should consider some kind of donation for plat program so anyone who has the desire to play and doesn't have the time have an option. This would also help the server pop. I understand this isn't classic, but most of us were kids during classic as well and had the time and energy to grind.
I don't understand all you people who don't have time to play the game for hours and hours a day but still can't fathom enjoying it without "competing" with people who do. Who cares? Just play casually and have fun. Why does it matter so much to people whether the other guy in their group is twinked? It seems like you have to have some serious self-esteem issues if someone else having bigger pixels means you can't enjoy yourself. I generally only get online for a couple hours a week and I have a ton of fun on this server, and some of the most fun I had was starting from scratch, with no gear, and leveling up from there. If that doesn't sound like a good time to YOU, you should understand that not everyone else is like you, and the server doesn't need to change for you. The server is doing great the way it is.

People also talk about how they already leveled characters on live and they don't want to do it again. Then don't play! One reason that leveling takes so long on EQ is that the journey to level 60 is a big part of what's fun about the game; it's not just a big mindless race to max level like in WoW. Enjoy the journey or find a different game, but don't call the server flawed because you don't understand what the point of it is.
Need a port or a rez? Hit me up on IRC!
Old 03-24-2014, 12:07 PM
Planar Protector

Come now Estu, wanting to win at a game without putting forth the effort hardly strikes me as new. Cheating is as old as humanity itself. So's the associated anger with getting caught red-handed. Least this is just arguments on the internet rather than shoot-outs in the saloon.

Danth
Old 03-24-2014, 02:27 PM
Kobold

Quote:
Originally Posted by central scrutinizer [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
What the hell are you even talking about? It's a private server, it was probably never intended to be solvent, and I doubt that the admin needs to worry about an "exit".
Let me clarify my comment for you. I was addressing the specific statement Rogean made that implied he stands ready to underwrite all efforts to protect the playing integrity of the game.

Just cause its private doesn't mean that it absolves it of all cost/benefit analysis with respect to addressing things with the EMU other than just running it. Its like a car. You buy a car to get you to and from. But sometimes the costs of maintaining the car exceed expectations or exceed the benefit of paying for a new one.

So my comment was fitting because it pointed out the fact that protecting the integrity of the game will be an ongoing cost associated with running the EMU. And this cost will remain a constant or will even increase.

So my suggestion was that IF and ONLY IF he thinks that he will eliminate the problem then he should run something else. (buy a new car as in the example)

So this whole thing about whether its profitable or intended to be profitable and all that does not address the essence of my post. Everyone has their own threshold of marginal rates of substitution.

Example, So, I rather play EQ than engage real life activity. There are no profits, but I assign value to every incremental minute I spend my time on them differently. Every extra minute spent on the game is less time spent in real life activity, thus I place higher value on the game rather than real life time. But if my time is valuable or my productivity level is high and I get paid alot of money, then every incremental minute playing the game is costing me a lot of money.

So again, it is fitting here because it seems obvious in this case that the "RMT" issue is one they are spending more and more resources to address.

The fact that the GM is willing to give up his own money to protect the integrity of the server sends a "signal" (in the game theory sense) to RMT offenders that money is NOT a constraint with respect to ensuring RMT rules are enforced. My argument is that while it is a signal, the crowd will test him anyway and call his bluff till the end.
Last edited by csc2153; 03-24-2014 at 02:44 PM..
Old 03-24-2014, 02:30 PM
Sarnak

How do people with limited time to play have to compete with rich powergamers? I have limited time to play, I don't even have a level 40 character. How is not having a lot of money at hand restricting me?
Old 03-24-2014, 02:56 PM
Kobold

So funny.

There are people STILL willing to bid accounts on RedGuides.com even AFTER the SWEEP of bans.

Here it comes Rogean. No sleep for the restless! You cannot win the fight against the crowd!

And while you may flex your muscles and no matter how hard. This crowd will push and push till you can no longer or shut this server down!

You cannot stop it. SONY could not stop it.
Old 03-24-2014, 03:01 PM
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Quote:
Originally Posted by csc2153 [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
So funny.

There are people STILL willing to bid accounts on RedGuides.com even AFTER the SWEEP of bans.

Here it comes Rogean. No sleep for the restless! You cannot win the fight against the crowd!

And while you may flex your muscles and no matter how hard. This crowd will push and push till you can no longer or shut this server down!

Your stance is amusing, but it won't deter us.

Another 30 accounts banned today for association with another RMT Website.

Project 1999 Setup Guide
Old 03-24-2014, 03:04 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by csc2153 [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
So funny.

like somehow paying hundreds of dollars replacing accounts/items is winning

Oh yea .... Piss Off.

H
Old 03-24-2014, 03:05 PM
Sarnak

hey uhm... what about the NPC issue? Dark Terrors spawning on unrest lawn makes it pretty tough to exp there [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Closed Thread