Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Important > News & Announcements > Polls

View Poll Results: Do you believe ooc and auction should be returned to zone-only?
YES! I want ooc/auction to be per zone only. 383 52.39%
NO! I want ooc/auction to remain global wide. 348 47.61%
Voters: 731. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 05-18-2010, 03:21 PM
Kobold

I imagine there are, but how many people would still be against this if we had double the population? I really do see removing global chat as an inevitability. I don't think we need to set some arbitrary population for it, though.
Old 05-18-2010, 03:21 PM
Fire Giant

I voted no, but im really agnostic on the poll.

If it werent for me talking in OOC and /auc'ing somthing I wouldnt have had the 10 or so people I knew from live reconize my name and send me a tell thus Id probably never know my old guildies / friends from my live server played here.
Old 05-18-2010, 03:24 PM
Scrawny Gnoll

I voted YES because i didn't read it, change my vote to NO!
Old 05-18-2010, 03:24 PM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by utenan [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I'll take your word for it, but I have yet to see this. always a handfull of noobs in qeynos/ qeynos hills, (I run through quite often and sow people), because of bb's popularity. SK is always full, ther surrounding karanas have a few lvlers sometimes, but mostly port traffic and foot traffic from NK - SK. The karanas always did feel isolated in classic eq though, people primarily ran through them, didnt stick around long.
Qeynos hills was one of the zones I forgot to /who as I did my run, but the times I have run to Halas, I have seen a handful between there and BB. I did a /who in EK/NK/WK and saw zero people on my run. Yes, NK will have people, mostly due to ports, and SK has more enticing drops/quests/camps/dungeons so some people will be there. Both Qeynos zones were empty, which was really surprising as I expected to find at least 1 noob leveling up there.

In response to Otto - Odus was somewhat of a ghost town on my server (Povar) compared to other areas, but there was still fighting that took place there. I went exploring the other night waiting for a port in Toxx and had nostalgia moments of actually grouping there and checking out Kerra Ridge. Also remember ~5-10 people at any time trying to kill wisps in Erud's Crossing.

Again this was between about 11-12 midnight mountain time.
Old 05-18-2010, 03:25 PM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adramelk [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Also worth noting: I think everyone here knows that the moment we no longer have global ooc, we're going to have an irc channel that everyone and their mother who currently talks in ooc joins.
There already is an IRC channel. When this goes through (which looks inevitable at this point) expect an #auction channel to be set up as well.

irc.eqemulator.net port:6667 #project1999
Old 05-18-2010, 03:26 PM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by President [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
And those people have the option to turn it off.. Quite simple...

I see no one has addressed my previous post just like in the last thread.
I like having the convenience of global chat, but we shouldn't have to forfeit our right to the global channels because a bunch of clowns want to hijack it for some stupid political/drug/other debate every single day, having to sit there and pile onto my /ignore list.

Seems to me that some sort of limit on messages per minute would help alleviate the spam from these stupid arguments, if it is possible.
I think people wouldn't mind the global channels so much if something like this could be implemented. It certainly would make the GM's job easier dealing with the ridiculous shit that gets spewed into /ooc every day.
Old 05-18-2010, 03:26 PM
Orc

Quote:
If you have 700 people online, that would be possibly 1400 lines of global chat a minute. In the worst case scenario, even nerfed to 1 message a minute, that's a lot of spam brother.
Admittedly, many of the arguments to remove global OOC have swayed me at least a little bit away from my original stance of no way.

But firstly, addressing this argument, if everyone were sending 1 message a minute, then wouldn't everyone be benefiting from global ooc in that case (since everyone would be using it), kind of making the point of wanting to limit it further sort of moot?

Secondly, I'm sure you can't be arguing that there would not be a significant difference in spam if this was done. Right?
Old 05-18-2010, 03:28 PM
Project Manager

Quote:
expect an #auction channel to be set up as well.
Yep. Pretty much. The 15(?)% of the population that uses the forums and the 1% that uses IRC will use it for auction. Everyone else will most likely use a trading area in game.

Oh no the horror :P
Old 05-18-2010, 03:29 PM
Aviak

Quote:
Originally Posted by astarothel [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
There already is an IRC channel. When this goes through (which looks inevitable at this point) expect an #auction channel to be set up as well.

irc.eqemulator.net port:6667 #project1999
Got it. Thanks.
Old 05-18-2010, 03:30 PM
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Moved to the CORRECT forum >_>

Project 1999 Setup Guide
Closed Thread