Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Off Topic

Closed Thread

Old 05-03-2011, 11:56 AM
Kobold

HA, i just got an e-mail from sony about my EQ information possibly getting stolen, good thing the cards i used back then are'nt active anymore
I'm trying to create something that will be optionally fun for the server, something for level 50's to do when your not busy shitting in your socks.
Greeting Starfighter, you have been recruited by the Starleague to defend the frontier against Zurr and the Codan armada.

Baas rutten, Monk

Realena peacecraft, monk of cazic thule server.
Old 05-03-2011, 12:29 PM
Sarnak

http://www.soe.com/securityupdate/pressrelease.vm
Old 05-03-2011, 02:26 PM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by hedbonker [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I got the email today, I am not hugely concerned as they did not get my CC info, but I was wondering, what is the worst they can do with the info they have? ( name, DoB, email , and an old address ) its not like they got peoples SSN numbers or anything, seems to be like this would only open people up to more fishing scams, but I may be totally wrong about that.

another post I read suggested that folks sign up for one of the 3 big credit companies free fraud alerts.
Old 05-03-2011, 03:06 PM
Sarnak

It's sad that you retired Seeatee. That was a cool name.
Old 05-03-2011, 04:25 PM
Kobold

i know someone who, because of this sony hack, had their facebook hacked. they did'nt really do anything extreme to it other than making him a 58 year old bisexual female
I'm trying to create something that will be optionally fun for the server, something for level 50's to do when your not busy shitting in your socks.
Greeting Starfighter, you have been recruited by the Starleague to defend the frontier against Zurr and the Codan armada.

Baas rutten, Monk

Old 05-03-2011, 04:33 PM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by jyaku [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
i know someone who, because of this sony hack, had their facebook hacked. they did'nt really do anything extreme to it other than making him a 58 year old bisexual female
So you're saying a plastic surgeon got his information?
Gakruk - Troll Shaman
Old 05-03-2011, 06:51 PM
Kobold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eldaran [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
So you're saying a plastic surgeon got his information?
if he was a magic plastic surgeon who can not only age someone but forcefully change their sexual prefrences

Baas rutten, Monk

Old 05-04-2011, 09:37 AM
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Quote:
Rodriguez added that Sony Online Entertainment’s network would be shut down until Friday and possibly longer. The company has contacted the FBI to investigate the attack.
http://www.signonsandiego.com/news/2...hishing-scams/

Project 1999 Setup Guide
Old 05-04-2011, 12:29 PM
Planar Protector

I don't like SOE for too many reasons to list here (SWG: NGE), but I don't wish them any harm. I pray they can find justice. Hacking personal information like was done is a crime, not a game.

Raiding: http://www.project1999.com/forums/sh...&postcount=109
P1999 Class Popularity Chart: http://www.project1999.com/forums/sh...7&postcount=48
P1999 PvP Statistics: http://www.project1999.com/forums/sh...9&postcount=59

"Global chat is to conversation what pok books are to travel, but without sufficient population it doesn't matter."
Old 05-04-2011, 01:00 PM
VIP / Contributor

Send a message via AIM to Amelinda Send a message via Yahoo to Amelinda

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seeatee [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
what is the worst they can do with the info they have? ( name, DoB, email , and an old address ) its not like they got peoples SSN numbers or anything, seems to be like this would only open people up to more fishing scams, but I may be totally wrong about that.
A LOT

HERE is a link to an article on the Better Business Bureau's website about identity theft. I suggest that anyone affected by this read the article.

I won't include detailed information on how someone could use that information to steal your pertinent info...don't want to aid any "Young Identity Thief"...

But some things to consider include:

Many people use passwords surrounding Dates of Birth. Them or a loved one.

Some con-artists are very creative at getting information out of people - even if those people work for utility companies or leasing offices.

etc. I'm sure you get the point.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seeatee [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
...another post I read suggested that folks sign up for one of the 3 big credit companies free fraud alerts.
Yes. Do this. There is a website somewhere that allows you to get a full free credit report 1x annually from all 3 credit bureaus.