Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Blue Community > Blue Server Chat

Closed Thread

Old 02-16-2019, 11:15 PM
Kobold

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMN [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Spawns might be apples to oranges, but the analogy isn't. Not a single one of those posts even mentioned variance or the possibility thereof. I don't see a single one even saying they had the timer for the spawn.
Your words suggest you agree with me but the phrasing suggests you don't. No one even considered it wasn't 24 hours until mid 2002 immediately after 3 patches in 48 hours after which he became impossible to find up across multiple servers all at once for months. When you are looking up 20 year old information that wasn't posted with the intent to be around for decades you have to consider the context.
Old 02-16-2019, 11:48 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Para99 [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Your words suggest you agree with me but the phrasing suggests you don't. No one even considered it wasn't 24 hours until mid 2002 immediately after 3 patches in 48 hours after which he became impossible to find up across multiple servers all at once for months. When you are looking up 20 year old information that wasn't posted with the intent to be around for decades you have to consider the context.
Again, they didn't say they had the respawn timer. I don't understand how this can be so confusing for someone who actually plays EQ. Even if you think it's 24 hours you still need to know 24 hours FROM WHEN.
Old 02-17-2019, 12:23 AM
Kobold

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMN [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Again, they didn't say they had the respawn timer. I don't understand how this can be so confusing for someone who actually plays EQ. Even if you think it's 24 hours you still need to know 24 hours FROM WHEN.
Oh, I just realized you didn't actually click the link
Quote:
In the Safehouse some guy camped him for 48 hours straight (the motivation...the time...) but that gob didn't show his green skin.
http://pub175.ezboard.com/fthesafeho...cID=5193.topic (dead link)
48 hours is longer than 24 hours +/- 10%. The mob doesn't move, even if you were AFK for 48 hours and someone turned in then the quest text would tell you he spawned. Even without that specific post the context and timing of the other posts suggests something changed, probably that it was broken, one guy says he checked for 4 days and one guy for weeks. There is nothing that I've seen that anyone thought Shady was +/- 3 hours.
Old 02-17-2019, 12:47 AM
Planar Protector

All that seems to suggest, if true, was either that there was a bug occurring and/or the variance was massively larger than 10%. Of course, there's also the possibility it's a "big fish story" of a frustrated camper. In any case, I don't see how this supports the claim it had no variance outside of this "bug period".
Old 02-17-2019, 03:05 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rygar [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
If the true respawn is set to 24 hrs, I previously uncovered evidence that Scott Charisa is indeed on basically an 11hr30min timer with +/- 30 mins.
https://www.project1999.com/forums/s...d.php?t=281965

If that is to be believed, I also found evidence that every mob in EQ with a spawn time over 2hrs had a variance. Post here:
https://www.project1999.com/forums/s...7&postcount=26

They mention the variance modifier is percentage based, so if evidence on the variance is lacking, safer to assume doubling the scout variance (so +/- 1hr would be my suggestion).

There are definitely exceptions to this such as skipping spawn cycles to extend variance, but without that evidence I say the +/- 1hr is good, or at least a happy compromise.
This thread as unorganized as it is has most of what we could find on classic variance.
https://www.project1999.com/forums/s...57#post2639857

Seem's what variance that has been put in the game since that post has adhered fairly closely the the facts laid out therein.

conjecture: One thing that struck me looking back was the absence of evidence for variation being both +/- . With the time of deaths we do have it seems a mob popping with a negative variance was more unicorn than the rule.
Old 03-12-2019, 12:57 PM
Fire Giant

I did this quest 3 times on live and i swear A Shady Goblin had a 24h respawn with no variance.
Old 03-12-2019, 01:59 PM
Kobold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alesclandre [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I did this quest 3 times on live and i swear A Shady Goblin had a 24h respawn with no variance.
he swore. wrap it up bois
Closed Thread