Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Technical Discussion

Old 12-12-2011, 06:23 AM
Sarnak

If you are a web designer and use adobe suite its just sooo much easier to use on a mac... from a designers stand point.....

If you have the cash get a macbook pro.... or a lenovo thinkpad.
Old 12-12-2011, 07:18 AM
Planar Protector

I recently built a rig that with i7 processor, 16gb ram, ssd, 1.5gb gfx card etc. that runs everything I could wish it to with no problems for about 1600 including monitor, mouse, and keyboard.

My advice is if you are not in a rush, shop around on newegg for parts, get an idea of what you want, and over the course of a month buy them when one goes on sale. How many times did I receive some e-mail ad from them with the thing I just bought for like 30 dollars cheaper. You could probably save a hundred or two doing this.

I'd say you could build something to run multiple adobe programs for less than 1400, if you want to step it up a notch for ultra game settings and stuff probably more like under 1800, depending on what brands you buy and what your preferences are.

SSD all the way though, best piece of hardware I bought for it by far.

If you're going to be doing editing and designing, don't kill yourself with a shitty laptop screen and make your legs burn. Invest in dual monitors and a nice office chair, and do away with the laptop foolishness.
Serilis - 60 Wizard
Decisive - 60 Bard
Winsloe - 60 Rogue
Zaggasauarus - 27 Necro
Old 12-12-2011, 12:30 PM
VIP / Contributor

Send a message via AIM to Amelinda Send a message via Yahoo to Amelinda

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogean [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
IT'S KAT GIRL, LEAVE HER ALONE, SHES COOL.
even *I* Like this sig.
Old 12-12-2011, 01:19 PM
Banned

:[
Old 12-12-2011, 02:10 PM
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

SSDs are so superior to their mechanical counterparts. I just bought a mushkin sata 3 120gb for a new $1800 laptop I'm getting from work.

Project 1999 Setup Guide
Old 12-12-2011, 03:35 PM
Banned

Send a message via ICQ to Truth Send a message via AIM to Truth Send a message via MSN to Truth Send a message via Yahoo to Truth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gwence [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
you can get 4gb of ram for way cheaper than $100-200

more like $20-40
My thoughts exactly. Was [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.].

Quote:
Originally Posted by loopholbrook [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I too have a problem with the signature. I'm not sure why it exist or why it's being used, but every time I see it I rage inside my head.
fat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pringles [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
LOL HP. You were bagging on Apple then fanboi for HP? Really?
Fanboi'isms aside, they're both "goog" companies with Indian support and decent prebuilt packages especially if you're getting a laptop. However you can't argue against HP being more budgetable for the exact same hardware.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quizy [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
If you are a web designer and use adobe suite its just sooo much easier to use on a mac... from a designers stand point.....

If you have the cash get a macbook pro.... or a lenovo thinkpad.
thinkpad >
Old 12-12-2011, 04:30 PM
Fire Giant

I just installed a SSD also. The thing is a beast. Installed Win7 in a span of like 5 mins. I don't have the beast computer like most people, but mine does everything I need with no issues for best bang for buck (2009 style).

AMD Phenom II X4 940 processor
8 Gigs of ram
120 Gig SSD
Crosshair II MB (Better motherboards out now)

There are better CPUs out now that can run everything you need. Going i7 or even i5 for the price over AMD is pointless. Unless you are going to be running 40 programs and expect them all to open as soon as you click on them, I'd save the extra $200 on the cpu alone and go with a 4core/6core.

Key to new pc. SSD, Ram, 4-6 core. You can build a beast for 400-500 dollars as it is.

If you want to spend 1k+ for a computer that won't be "outdated" in the next 2 years go the i7 route. As it is my pc from 2009 isn't slowed down.
Old 12-13-2011, 01:06 PM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by bizzum [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
How many times did I receive some e-mail ad from them with the thing I just bought for like 30 dollars cheaper. You could probably save a hundred or two doing this.
If you call them up when this happens they will almost always give you the difference back on your debit/credit card. Happened to me when I bought my power supply, was $30 cheaper the next week and they gave me the difference back on my debit card.

Quote:
SSDs are so superior to their mechanical counterparts. I just bought a mushkin sata 3 120gb for a new $1800 laptop I'm getting from work.
I have a mushkin cronos as well 120 gb, they ship with latest firmware and I ran a couple benchmarks to see how close to spec I was getting with it. I actually went over 550 MB/s on ATTO on the compressed sequential reads.

mushkin makes good stuff