Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Class Discussions > Melee

Closed Thread

Old 02-26-2018, 12:29 PM
Kobold

Default Monk gear for the non-wealthy

Hello all. I've been searching through the monk gear threads and their seems to be a lot of debate on gear and upgrades. I'm currently a level 40 monk wielding cane of harmony and knuckle dusters. I have SCHW for haste and some black panther pieces for armor with cured silk or wu's in other spots.

As I am primarily soloing a lot and this is my main , I don't have a lot of money for fungi or tstaff's etc, I'm getting close to about 3k saved up now, what would you recommend for weapon or gear upgrades that will help me solo better?

Also what spot is bets to hit next with sub-optimal gear, I'm in SolA now and plan to stay til about 42?
Old 02-26-2018, 12:38 PM
Planar Protector

sol a is good till 42 / 43, a peace bringer (~3k), or jade mace (800), or jade mace and save up for stave of shielding (~5k?).

I personally would say a jade mace, 800p for main hand. Jade mace can last you until epic. Do you have your hp/ac rings? If not get those first too (like 500p for the pair of platinum ones).

Any thing else just spend it on bags and bags of bandages and other spot gear (netted kelp or black panther is good generally). Orc fang earrings at ~200p each are decent (or try to farm sarnak earrings of station) and youll wear them till you need resist gear on raids.
Last edited by Legidias; 02-26-2018 at 12:41 PM..
Old 02-26-2018, 12:41 PM
Planar Protector

Fine silk turban

Targishan's bone mask,

Azure sleeves,

velium or platinum fire wedding rings

Tinkerer's bag (you need to save up the same again though)

+hp gear will also improve your mend.
Old 02-26-2018, 09:08 PM
Sarnak

Crystal caverns geonids. Sometimes drop gems, low weight, plus a bank there. Help you make some more money.
Old 02-26-2018, 09:23 PM
Aviak

Concur with geonids recommendation. It is a safe camp, near a town, zoneline, plenty of scenery including some lower-level named mobs you may be able to snipe, and awesome ambiance/music. I plan on heading to crystal caverns in a few levels.
Old 02-27-2018, 07:26 AM
Planar Protector

Unless things have changed, a Wu's Quivering Staff (100p) will out-dps your two one-handers. A Peacebringer or IFS would be even better, but I'd get more hp like Jimjam said.

If you don't mind slow and steady, there's a hill giant in EK that's blue until 50 and one in WK that's blue until 51. Both are on a 6m40s timer with no placeholders. You'd probably make another 10k+ camping those, though banking is a chore. If you buy sow pots and get one of those two-handers, you don't have to worry about the weight of the coin really until it slows you down.
Old 02-27-2018, 11:03 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarkhis [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Hello all. I've been searching through the monk gear threads and their seems to be a lot of debate on gear and upgrades. I'm currently a level 40 monk wielding cane of harmony and knuckle dusters. I have SCHW for haste and some black panther pieces for armor with cured silk or wu's in other spots.

As I am primarily soloing a lot and this is my main , I don't have a lot of money for fungi or tstaff's etc, I'm getting close to about 3k saved up now, what would you recommend for weapon or gear upgrades that will help me solo better?

Also what spot is bets to hit next with sub-optimal gear, I'm in SolA now and plan to stay til about 42?
So there are a few things to consider here. Since you already have haste I would not recommend spending any additional money on anything outside of weaponry. With that said, Peacebringer is by far the best pre-epic weapon in my experience. Peacebringer is simply the bees knees despite is atrocious weight and it generally resells easily. I would buy you a Peacebringer and then resell it when you get to the pipe portion of Epic.

The real goal here for you should be Epic, and unfortunately that will most likely require buying a Chardok Pipe MQ that costs 5k. The KC pipe you can do yourself even though pulling Bodyguards for the first time in KC can be quite scary for a new monk. The rest of the quest is a bit time consuming but not impossible. Main 2 bottle necks will be Raster of Guk (time sink shity camp, can do solo around lvl 48 with bandaids and clever pulling) and Targin the Rock (SolB Royals, can usually get a group for Royals in low 40s).

After that its a matter of getting a guild to help you with Eejag through Xenovorash (Can do this entire series with 1-2 solid groups - Xeno and the Gwan are the only 2 group fights)

Everyone says the Monk Epic is so easy but when you are new to the server and have limited allies (guild mates) the quest is a giant pain in the ass and will likely take you quite a bit of time to complete

So TLDR; Buy Peacebringer, sell for Chardok Pipe MQ when nearing that phase of Epic
Old 02-27-2018, 11:25 AM
Planar Protector

IFS (38/40) is severely underrated - it's a fantastic weapon with good average dps. I'd take IFS over peacebringer any day. The dps is comparable though IFS ratio is slightly better. It looks cooler and weighs 6 less. DPS can be streaky with it but for every low fight you get a high that counters it nicely. Low delay is nice for ripostes and your own ripostes hit harder. Peacebringer is ugly as sin and weighs a lot more.

Monk on a budget? WQS + cheap haste until you can afford an Imbued Fighter's Staff. After that just save money for more expensive upgrades (fungi etc) while working on your epic. I'd recommend forgetting about duel wield until you complete your epic.
https://www.project1999.com/forums/s...43&postcount=2

Last edited by Troxx; 02-27-2018 at 11:37 AM..
Old 02-27-2018, 01:18 PM
Banned

Just save for IFS.

The best low budget weapon, period.
Old 02-27-2018, 11:55 PM
Kobold

The IFS is good for swapping out for punches because of the 40 delay.

You never mentioned what your budget was.

One thing you could do is hit up the sarnak fort in lake of ill omen. Try and farm Sarnak earring and braver of the hidden for an instant click junk buff.

Could also form a group and go to Dalnir and try for crescent armor

Perhaps circlet of tallon rots in Kael? Could try for that.