Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Starting Zone

Closed Thread

Old 09-21-2015, 11:32 AM
Aviak

Default Spell effect progression

Hello,

Very new player here, and am having a lot of fun. One question I have though is regarding the particles for spells. I recall that as you progress in levels, the larger effects unlock. I don't remember the particulars, but for example, on my new warlock, when I cast a lesser shielding spell, I can see the orange particles mixed with the green. I am currently only level 10, and I remember that not being visible until much later.

Is there a way I can modify this client side?

Thank you,
C
Old 10-03-2015, 12:14 PM
Developer

It's a complex issue which I can attempt to explain:

P99 uses a client that cannot restore the original particle system. Instead, the new particle system has been modified to restore many of the original particle effects. There are client limitations that prevent many effects from being recreated.

For example, the client strictly enforces a "4 effects at a time" rule. The spell you are referring to would require 6 effects at a time, because each hand counts as 1. The spell at level 39+ needs 3 effects per hand.

Since I was limited to 4 effects, I had one of two choices. Either combine the orange and blue particles, which I did originally, or combine the green and the orange particles, which is now in place.

The reason why I decided to combine the orange and green is because in classic the blue diamonds behaved much differently than the orange. The blue particles appeared much heavier and curved toward the ground. The orange particles flowed outward and never fell toward the ground. Furthermore, the green particles had a much shorter particle stream. I was able to embed the orange particles within the green particles in the beginning, and then continue with only the orange particles toward the end.

This achieved the best looking results in the end. At level 24+ everything will look correct. You'll just have to deal with the early orange particles.

When I originally combined the orange and blue, it looked awful because every orange and blue particle anchored to each other. I couldn't get the spread I was looking for. I hope this makes sense!

It's much better than where we started:
[You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Last edited by Telin; 10-03-2015 at 12:33 PM..
Old 10-03-2015, 12:57 PM
Orc

24 and 39
Old 10-03-2015, 01:34 PM
Fire Giant

Warlock?!

Everquest Mysteries http://www.project1999.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=231587
Old 10-03-2015, 01:55 PM
Developer

Necromancers do earn that title in EQ!
Old 10-03-2015, 01:59 PM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verath [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
24 and 39
17 and 38
Old 10-03-2015, 02:18 PM
Orc

Quote:
Originally Posted by B4EQWASCOOL [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
17 and 38
I should really read threads before posting in them.
Old 10-03-2015, 02:44 PM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Telin [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Necromancers do earn that title in EQ!
lol, CmaN/Telin - 1 , utenan - 0. You're making my favorite pastime, criticizing the use of wow terminology in eq, much more difficult : p

Everquest Mysteries http://www.project1999.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=231587
Old 10-04-2015, 01:17 PM
Planar Protector

I didn't think WoW was even in business yet. [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.] Kids game from hell. [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.] I want my shit, and I want it now. [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Closed Thread