Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Off Topic

Closed Thread

Old 08-23-2013, 01:56 PM
Sarnak

Default Home Network Set-up Question

Hey everybody,

Ok, here's my issue:

I currently have a home network comprised of my Comcast cable modem -> Netgear N150 WiFi router -> 5-port ethernet switch.

I have multiple computers wired directly into the switch, and some devices running via WiFi.

Here's what I want to do:

I have one laptop currently running Windows Server 2008 R2, and another laptop running Windows 7 Ultimate.

I want to set up a client-server relationship between the two, in order to teach myself about Active Directory, DHCP, DNS, Web servers, etc...

So - How do I assign a static IP to a single laptop running Win Server 2008 that is connected via wired ethernet on my home network (the network is a Netgear router that is set to dynamically assign IPs from the ISP), and ensure that the laptop always keeps that IP, so that my client laptop (also connected to the wired switch, not WiFi) can connect to it?

Thanks in advance
Old 08-23-2013, 02:27 PM
Kobold

Log into your netgear and see if there is a way to administrate your DHCP scope. That is, the range of IP addresses that DHCP will dole out upon quest. Assuming it is a Class C IP range, we'll go with 192.168.0.* to 192.168.0.*. Make the range something like 192.168.0.100 - 192.168.0.200. Then set your server to have a static ip of 192.168.0.<either less than 100 or greater than 200>. Then your server remains on the same network and viewable to all hosts that get a DHCP lease, while never having it's IP address given away, causing duplicate IP problems.

Worst case scenario, you cant change the DHCP scope. You should still be able to see a list of DHCP clients. See if the Netgear typically assigns the 4th octet low or high (if most addresses are 192.168.0.1-50, or 200-250, etc) and assign your server to the other end of the spectrum. If you run into dupe problems, check your Netgear and see if it gave out your servers address, and make that client fetch another address.

There are also a host of other things that you'll want to do as well, but since you're doing this for a learning experience, I'll let you figure those out as you go and not bombard you potential "advice". Holla back, though, if you need.
Old 08-23-2013, 02:28 PM
Planar Protector

Most routers will allow you to assign a static DHCP address, it keeps it simple.
Old 08-23-2013, 02:28 PM
Kobold

Bah, dbl post. Be sure to set the subnet mask to the same thing your router is using, most likely 255.255.255.0
Old 08-23-2013, 03:09 PM
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Active Directory relies heavily on integrated DNS. Your server 2008 will install this automatically during dcpromo.

It is recomended to also have DHCP on the server, but not required. However whatever is giving out DHCP MUST give out the Server 2008's IP as the DNS server. This is important for clients to know where the domain is.

So you can either disable DHCP on netgear and install it on Server 2008, or modify the netgear so that DNS points at Server 2008.

DCPromo that bitch up, that process is fairly straight forward. Then join a client to the domain.

Project 1999 Setup Guide
Old 08-23-2013, 03:29 PM
Kobold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogean [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Active Directory relies heavily on integrated DNS. Your server 2008 will install this automatically during dcpromo.

It is recomended to also have DHCP on the server, but not required. However whatever is giving out DHCP MUST give out the Server 2008's IP as the DNS server. This is important for clients to know where the domain is.

So you can either disable DHCP on netgear and install it on Server 2008, or modify the netgear so that DNS points at Server 2008.

DCPromo that bitch up, that process is fairly straight forward. Then join a client to the domain.
Some of what I was hoping he'd figure out for himself. But all true.

Make sure that laptop you have R2 installed on stays on all the time, too. Once you start handing over network services and FSMO roles, you wont want it to be off ever.
Old 08-23-2013, 04:06 PM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogean [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

Nice! Much appreciated. My only issue/worry is that I really want this server/client to be by themselves, and not affecting the rest of the computers on my network. Kind of like my own experimental server/client bubble.

If I enable DHCP on the server and hand it off from the router, won't that affect (shut off) my network if say the server is turned off or what have you?
Old 08-23-2013, 04:09 PM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klendathu [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Some of what I was hoping he'd figure out for himself. But all true.

Make sure that laptop you have R2 installed on stays on all the time, too. Once you start handing over network services and FSMO roles, you wont want it to be off ever.
Thanks for the DHCP range explanation on your first post, that helped me clear up some IPs I could assign.

What I bolded in your quote is the issue I have. I don't want this server/client affecting the rest of my network, as it is just a test / experimental server that I'm learning how to do policy management/AD/etc.. on.

The problem I have now just encountered is this:

I went into my router and limited its DHCP range from 192.168.1.2 to 192.168.1.225

I went onto my test server and assigned it the static IP of 192.168.1.230, and it won't connect to the internet.

I also tried reserving the 192.168.1.230 address on my router (proper MAC typed in and all), reopened the DHCP range to 254 and still no connection. NFC why this won't connect to the internet. I have the proper subnet mask, gateway, etc all typed in.
Last edited by EchoedTruth; 08-23-2013 at 04:45 PM..
Old 08-23-2013, 06:11 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by EchoedTruth [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Thanks for the DHCP range explanation on your first post, that helped me clear up some IPs I could assign.

What I bolded in your quote is the issue I have. I don't want this server/client affecting the rest of my network, as it is just a test / experimental server that I'm learning how to do policy management/AD/etc.. on.

The problem I have now just encountered is this:

I went into my router and limited its DHCP range from 192.168.1.2 to 192.168.1.225

I went onto my test server and assigned it the static IP of 192.168.1.230, and it won't connect to the internet.

I also tried reserving the 192.168.1.230 address on my router (proper MAC typed in and all), reopened the DHCP range to 254 and still no connection. NFC why this won't connect to the internet. I have the proper subnet mask, gateway, etc all typed in.
I am by no means an expert, but I've tinkered a bit with this stuff. I think you have to go into the connection properties (there's IPv4 and IPv6, you want the v4)...and you need to assign the static IP details to 230 or whatever the number is you're using.

Try that, but again... I'm no expert [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Last edited by Swish; 08-23-2013 at 06:14 PM..
Old 08-24-2013, 01:19 PM
Kobold

Most MS Server OS come out of the box with that shitty "MS Enhanced Internet Security" turned on. In 2008 R2, I think you turn it off by going into Server Manager Console, that annoying page that pops up on each administrator login (that you probably disabled after startup by now). It's a good idea to turn off enhanced security, cause then you can install things from network locations, which make life easier, especially in the sandbox.

Also, until you run dcpromo and start using R2 for DHCP\DNS, you need to point it to your Netgear for DNS, in the same spot where you set up the static IP for it. Let us know if that helps.

True test of connectivity - ping something outside of your router. Like www.google.com.
Closed Thread