Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Rants and Flames

Closed Thread

Old 09-04-2015, 06:50 AM
Aviak

Default Why is boxing and live frowned upon?

I've never boxed nor had any interest in boxing, good that's out of the way.

However it seems that most p99 players hate boxers, and refuse to play on any server that allows it. I've been playing on live and had many very efficient groups with boxers. I am level 100 after one week without any legitimate PL.

Just saying for a group of people that think EQ takes so much skill, you would think p99ers would respect someone that can play 4-5 classes at once.

Furthermore, classic EQ isn't more difficult than live. Nor is it that unforgiving, its just really time consuming and tedious. Sitting at a camp for 18 hours isn't hard, zerging mobs is straightforward and leveling isn't hard. I will give credit to FTE teams though. That shits intense.

I say this because there is so much shit you have to know on live today, it makes p99 look like child's play.

<3 p99 though, I will always play here. Just leaving for awhile because of the elitist attitude that seems to have emerged with velious.
Old 09-04-2015, 07:09 AM
Decaying Skeleton

I can see why boxing is fun and requires skill, but it ruins the spirit of the game, which is a social game where you rely on other human beings to create synergies and help each other out.

Boxing is the ultimate way to kill off the MMO aspect of the game, turning it into a single player game like NWN--but worse.

What has always made EQ special is the social element. Boxing absolutely kills this--not just by trivializing content but also through a chilling effect on socialization. You can no longer tell if the character you are talking to or seeing or askng a question is even a person. They don't act or move like a person but like a robot, and usually the boxers dont respond appropriately as if they were a person. Instead they act really weird and are basically a drain and eyesore on the landscape. You have this team of dummies standing there looking stupid who never say anything and when they do act move like a weird keyboard turner or something. It sucks.

EQ is not actually about doing something difficult. If you want a challenge go play chess or maybe read some Wittgenstein. EQ is about entering into an immersive roleplay fantasy environment and the "gameplay" elements are there as tools to help with immersion. They aren't the point of the game.
Old 09-04-2015, 07:31 AM
Sarnak

people dont like boxing because if you have 1 neckbeard who can play 24/7. imagine what he could do with a full group 24/7.
Old 09-04-2015, 07:42 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mojo24 [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Just leaving for awhile because of the elitist attitude that seems to have emerged with velious.
Come on over to red if you get some spare time Mojo, its a fun leveling experience and most people are down to earth and enjoying it.

As for boxing, I was never a fan either. I think most of us hate the boxing crowd because the whole point of EQ when it was created was to be part of a team where you worked together to defeat things - not solo your way through content.

I guess for the antisocial types out there who want to do their own thing there's fungi twink monks...great for locking a group out of a camp. Or necros, if you're someone who needs to afk or be semi-afk a lot.
Old 09-04-2015, 07:51 AM
Kobold

Boxing means especially in a subscription environment pay to win. 3rd party programs enable people to play 6 toons whilst only really controlling one directly. In an era like p1999 boxing has no place as open world content is ruined when a single person can lock something down 24/7. I actually do have respect for some boxers I have met over the years who would control 4 toons alt tabbing. Isboxer and such nonsense just annoys me. It is glorified botting in my opinion.
Old 09-04-2015, 09:05 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mojo24 [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Sitting at a camp for 18 hours isn't hard,
Ok
Old 09-04-2015, 09:08 AM
Aviak

Quote:
Originally Posted by maskedmelon [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Ok
Sitting at your computer hitting a few buttons every 6, 12, 17 etc minutes isn't difficult. It's mundane and tedious.
Old 09-04-2015, 09:19 AM
Banned

Quote:
I am level 100 after one week without any legitimate PL.
So you were able to hit the level cap in under a week....sounds like a real blast....

On P99 it takes 6-12 months to hit 60?
Old 09-04-2015, 09:19 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
level 100 after one week
This, alone, is reason enough to hate Live with a passion.
Old 09-04-2015, 09:26 AM
Aviak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spyder73 [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
So you were able to hit the level cap in under a week....sounds like a real blast....

On P99 it takes 6-12 months to hit 60?
Takes about 2-3 months if you are diligent, go to the right places and don't mess around. Depending on the class. Without Chardok or bard PL.

Quote:
Originally Posted by myriverse [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
This, alone, is reason enough to hate Live with a passion.
Eh, I like playing towards max level. I powered through 1-55 on all my toons here.
Closed Thread