Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Blue Community > Blue Server Chat

Closed Thread

Old 11-30-2009, 09:54 PM
Aviak

Default Luclin Models

Before I begin, let me say that I truly am one of the most nostalgic players in existence. I played back in Alpha and Beta stages, when the only zone that was open was Everfrost (originally).

That said, I've finally (praise the lord) managed to convince my wife to begin playing with me again on 1999 server. She noted (rightly so) that she really misses the luclin models. I hadn't really thought much about it so I made a toon on PEQ just to check them out again and I must say I do miss them.

I fully realize a TON of players prefer the old ones. And so we find our segway into my question:

Given enabling luclin models is a personal choice and can be 100% on or 100% off for each individual player, thus creating little unique environments different for each player tailor-made to their preference, is it 100% out of the question to ask for luclin model support on this server? It wouldn't change gameplay and would allow those who wanted it, to use it, without any affect on game play whatsoever, and those who didn't want it would never know others are even using it.

Thoughts?
Old 11-30-2009, 10:11 PM
Scrawny Gnoll

I sympathize. There are some races I can't play with old models due to bugs that just drive me up a tree.

On the other hand, there's a certain appeal in knowing how you look to others. There's a definite element of showing off or just looking cool to the other players as a motivation in MMOs. Totally subjective appearances definitely confound this.

On a related note, I would love it if the Luclin elemental models were disabled for everyone. I turned mine off by hand, but it does bother me a little that everyone else is seeing that awful mouth breathing wobbly fish moron instead of the alien but elegant floating blob of water I see myself.
Old 11-30-2009, 10:17 PM
Aviak

I'm more curious as to whether the models are even possible? Or if they are just disabled at the server level right now? It would help me in identifying the audience I need to convince.
Old 11-30-2009, 10:20 PM
Scrawny Gnoll

I think they are "unentitled" at the server level. The client is obviously capable of displaying them, but I think they are telling the client that you haven't bought SoL and so you don't get the goodies.
Old 11-30-2009, 10:39 PM
Aviak

Interesting... wtb Aeolwind / Rogean thoughts.
Old 11-30-2009, 10:44 PM
VIP / Contributor

Send a message via MSN to Wenai

Muhahahahahahahaha. No Luclin models for you!

I know that Nilbog intentionally disabled them. I am sure he can elaborate more if he so chooses. I personally welcome their disabling.
Old 11-30-2009, 10:44 PM
Developer

Send a message via AIM to Aeolwind Send a message via MSN to Aeolwind Send a message via Yahoo to Aeolwind

One possible scenario is that they are restricted based on the number of expansions we have open. IE they won't be available unless we open expansions to Luclin.

Another is that it is flat disabled in the DB.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nilbog
If all the polls I have done up until now fully counted, you would be playing on some abomination of a PVP server with 2-10 boxing based on votes from people named xcm234nv and adfa234.
Old 11-30-2009, 11:06 PM
Aviak

I guess what I would like to peacefully discuss is the fact that they don't affect gameplay at all, and (for those of us) who enjoy them, make it *much* more enjoyable.

I simply want to discuss, get his thoughts.
Old 11-30-2009, 11:23 PM
Orc

old models because it carries the vibe.
Old 11-30-2009, 11:25 PM
Skeleton

I personally liked some of them, and choice is always nice. I don't think they would take away from the classic feel I'm firmly addicted to.
I had really hoped (long time ago) that EQ2 was going to be classic eq just pretty [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.] boy was I let down....

my 2 cents...