Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Blue Community > Blue Server Chat

Closed Thread

Old 01-18-2017, 01:26 PM
Planar Protector

There is a thread floating around with how the source code was ported from the original EQ. I'm sure Paul will dig it up.

But yes that's true. They didn't start from scratch but a good chunk is rebuilt to keep things as classic as possible because that code doesn't exist anymore.

Tupakk-57 Bard(Raid Whore)Afeni-45 Druid (Dial a Port Leadership) |Forums|Facebook| Lumumba-60 Rogue(DaP Security)/(Nocterma Member) & Department of Fun Promoter
Old 01-18-2017, 01:46 PM
Kobold

Through personal experience in business.

Having legitimate legal grounds for filing a suit has nothing to do with the law.

If you cannot afford or do not have the stamina to defend yourself against legal action then compliance is the only path.

Small companies are shut down through legal extortion all the time. Legitimacy is irrelevant. Right and wrong have no place in the modern courtroom, especially as it relates to tech.
Old 01-18-2017, 02:37 PM
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

paulgiamatti there's so much incorrect information and assumptions in your posts that I don't know where to begin, the biggest of which is your interpretation of contractual law.

Just stop.

Project 1999 Setup Guide
Old 01-18-2017, 02:40 PM
Sarnak

lmao
Old 01-18-2017, 02:46 PM
Planar Protector

I think Rogean just C&D'd paul.
Old 01-18-2017, 03:34 PM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogean [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
paulgiamatti there's so much incorrect information and assumptions in your posts that I don't know where to begin, the biggest of which is your interpretation of contractual law.

Just stop.
BOOM. Thx Rogean.

Regards,
Mg

OMNI Officer (Retired from EQ)
Check out my P99 Hunting Guide!
Old 01-18-2017, 03:40 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgellan [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Reference please? This is absolutely the first time I've ever heard this and it seems highly implausible versus just writing the code from scratch...
I could very well be wrong about this, I just remember hearing that the author of EQEmu originally worked with live source code and its earliest versions were based around that. Probably not provable either way without quoting something solid from him - something like that would predate any of P99 developers' involvement in EQEmu anyway, so Rogean saying that that's impossible wouldn't exactly be scripture.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogean [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Why not make some corrections? I know a lot of people here tend to double-down and get aggressive when they're misinformed, but I don't really care about my pride in elf sim forumquest. I'd rather be corrected and take part in a discussion, which is why I make statements about things at the risk of being wrong. Totally fine conceding anything for the sake of learning.

I'm guessing you aren't too keen on the idea of Project 1999 no longer being protected by the outdated SoE EULA, though I don't understand why since the threat of a shutdown (which was never really a threat, I know) is at an all-time low. I'll survive conceding that point too if you know something about IP law that I don't. I'm trying to help you by saying posting Titanium torrent links is a bad idea, but if you guys don't care about that anymore then that'd definitely be useful to know. Suggesting that EQEmu servers are indeed beholden to the owners of that intellectual property really isn't incorrect information, even if that IP owner gives you their blessing. Companies change, and so does law - last I heard, Ji Ham is only "acting" president of Daybreak, so tomorrow it could be someone entirely different.
Old 01-18-2017, 04:18 PM
Planar Protector

I might've been thinking about a different emu project w/r/t utilizing original source code - this is from the EQEmu GitHub: "EQEmulator is a custom completely from-scratch open source server implementation for EverQuest built mostly on C++" - that's proof enough for me at least.
Old 01-18-2017, 04:22 PM
Fire Giant

Quote:

Just stop.
This made my day.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Comoc1
Offering a 10k bounty for Soeki's or Jigoku's suspension pm me logs of GM discussion and fraps link to collect

Uyan <Aftermath>
Old 01-18-2017, 04:25 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulgiamatti [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I know a lot of people here tend to double-down and get aggressive when they're misinformed
Oh, speak of the devil...
Closed Thread