Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Class Discussions > Melee

Closed Thread

Old 01-31-2018, 03:58 PM
Banned

This not even mentioning that the Bard Epic (while much easier these days) is still essentially unobtainable outside of Aftermath/Awakened and Monk Epics are completed nearly every single day.
Old 01-31-2018, 04:08 PM
Planar Protector

I will mention though that as my bard moved up through 40's and 50's, I got a lot of tells of come to XX zone for YY camp (HS, seb, KC, etc.) and have not gotten any of those even once on my monk.
Old 01-31-2018, 04:13 PM
Banned

Be the change you wish to see. Resist the status quo.
Old 01-31-2018, 04:15 PM
Planar Protector

Here's a perk that spyder can't debate. I did 59-60 in about 8 hours solo on my bard. Or you can spend weeks or months on the monk. What is your time worth?
Old 01-31-2018, 04:24 PM
Kobold

You’re all forgetting one universal mantra in games like this. Take the player, not the class. A well played anything in the hands of a skilled player will outperform someone who is lazy about learning the ins and outs of their class. If the OP is the former not the latter, either class would be great and a boon to all they group with.
Old 01-31-2018, 04:35 PM
Aviak

Smile

I'm bard!

I'm halfway decent at it; probably not the best.

One point I haven't seen emphasized in this thread is that bards have soooo many different ways to make a group better.

Legidias mentioned the fear kite approach in KC. Works great! There are LOTS of other ways bards can make strong contributions to groups.

Don't dismiss the Cantana line. Yes, some lazy bards will simply play that and afk. But it's soooooo helpful, that groups are often ok with that. In the hands of a decently played bard, you can add Niv's melody, ...super regen between those two songs. I've done KC with no healer and we were fine. But wait, there's more!

No chanter or shammy? Add haste! You're right that it's not as good as the other 2 classes, but 45% haste is nothing to sneer at, either. While helping the group super regen!

Have a chanter or shammy? Great! endless mana & regen, PLUS you can add a nice 21 (or so) damage shield at the same you're adding 60 attack and 40 str! (Thanks McVaxius' Rousing Rondo) That's 3 songs....you get to add a 4th....

Mana free snare to stop runners? Another stackable damage shield? Resist buffs against casters? DoT's?

Or charm another mob? Great DPS, and with super regen going, when it breaks, you'll regen the health back in no time...no heals needed.

Chanter getting beat on? Mez or snare his protagonist to give him a minute to breath.

Chanter leaves the group? no problem. You've got the mezzes. They dont' last as long, true, but keeping 3 mobs on ice while playing Cantana is easy peasy. 4, too, but I may be sweating slightly :>

We havent' even gotten into pulling!

Someone mentioned melee'ing earlier in the thread. Post 30's, you're usually more useful to your group if you're NOT melee'ing. The instrument bonuses outweigh the weak melee DPS. I did say "usually". Depending upon group makeup and song choice, adding your paltry melee damage might be the best option. Caveat: once you have your epic, might as well melee as much as you can, since the need to switch instruments isn't (usually) important.

Bards have tons of options and ways to play [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Old 01-31-2018, 04:54 PM
Fire Giant

I have a level 60 monk and bard. I solo'ed completely 1-60 on bard and monk. Neither are all star geared but they both have decent HP, Resists, NTOV items, and their epics.

For solo'ing both are pretty easy to 60 compared to the path some other classes would have to take.

Each one has amazing tools. Bard is more of a support class and reliant on others to do next level shit. Monk is more reliant on gear to do next level shit.

Figure out what matters most to you in game. Is it grouping in Seb which a lot of the people are talking about in this thread; or is it raiding, solo content, finishing quests with your buddies? Then choose the class that will allow you to have the play style you like most.
Old 01-31-2018, 04:55 PM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by citizen1080 [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Here's a perk that spyder can't debate. I did 59-60 in about 8 hours solo on my bard. Or you can spend weeks or months on the monk. What is your time worth?
Was that before 25 mob nerf? I charm killed on bard and solo'ed on monk 59-60 both took me a week or two, didn't pull out a stop watch though.
Old 01-31-2018, 05:35 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by mefdinkins [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Was that before 25 mob nerf? I charm killed on bard and solo'ed on monk 59-60 both took me a week or two, didn't pull out a stop watch though.
Nope that was post 25 mob limit
Old 01-31-2018, 05:36 PM
Planar Protector

Leash is more annoying than 25 mob limit =/
Closed Thread