Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Class Discussions > Casters

Closed Thread

Old 05-17-2016, 11:33 AM
Aviak

Default necro charm help ??

Hey im 39 necro and would like to start charming undead and fighting in that means. currently i have 68 charisma but i feel that it may be to low to actually go out and charm without getting more char gear. currently i am broke so dont have the means to get charisma gear. Knowing this is it worth it for me to try to use my charm to kill stuff?
Old 05-17-2016, 11:40 AM
Kobold

Charisma is only necessary for enchanters. As a necro, your charms only check against relative level and the MR of the mob.
Old 05-17-2016, 11:54 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vellaen [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Charisma is only necessary for enchanters. As a necro, your charms only check against relative level and the MR of the mob.
Correct. The best way to charm as a necro is finding something low enough it doesn't break often and having some hp gear so when he breaks charm you don't get instant gibbed. Screaming Terror is useful for broken pets and finding a duo with an enchanter for tash or a shaman for malo will prolong your pet charms as well.

There are higher level tactics of giving a mob -MR gear so it has a lower innate MR and your charms last longer but for exp, especially solo, its much more effective to just be sending your pets in at each other and breaking when your current one gets low to finish it off for exp.
Old 05-17-2016, 05:56 PM
Kobold

I'm pretty sure at that level you can already charm solo in the church area in Kaesora. It is amazing exp. Can be a little tricky getting there through the spiders, some of which will see invis. But it is really great exp down there. One of my favorite camps in the game thus far. Loot a fang off Xalgoz if someone is killing him for the Howling Stones key quest, which is a great charm zone when you get to the mid 50s.

And yes unless you have a cleric that is casting CH on your pets, it is a lot better to just kill your pet when it gets low.
Old 05-18-2016, 11:11 AM
Banned

Currently leveling my necromancer using charm techniques…I neglected charming for a long time because I didn’t really understand it because I had never done it before. Charming is by far my favorite way of playing EQ now (currently slumming around in CoM upper floors).

1) When you are learning the ropes of charming, duo instead of solo. It is much easier to learn with a partner and not have to break charm EVERY fight and also to have some support for when things go badly (They will – often at first)

2) Screaming terror is not “nice to use” – it is 100% mandatory. When charm breaks tab target pet and start casting Screaming terror and then re-charm

3) ALWAYS root the mob you are fighting – this way when a charm breaks all you gotta do is ST/Re-charm and you don’t have both mobs eating you.

4) Charming becomes infinitely easier at level 48 when you gain Paralyzing Earth (long duration root)

5) Don’t charm anything that’s not blue con or you will have a bad time.

6) Root is your best friend when charming, can’t stress thing enough, root everything in sight at all times IMO.

7) gear is meaningless – I have got to level 55 with 8 equipment slots completely empty – Circlet of Shadow and Jboots are the only real game changing pieces of equipment.

8) Charming get easier and easier the higher level you get, if you are getting discouraged, just remember that every level you gain will make it that much easier. Better spells, more HP, less resists – it gets way easier the higher level you get.
Last edited by Spyder73; 05-18-2016 at 11:15 AM..
Old 05-18-2016, 11:53 AM
Aviak

Thanks for the info all
Old 05-18-2016, 12:06 PM
Planar Protector

Set screaming terror to a hotkey (I always had it at 1), to minimize the damage you take when charm breaks.
Old 05-18-2016, 04:38 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swish [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Set screaming terror to a hotkey (I always had it at 1), to minimize the damage you take when charm breaks.
You should have all your spells hotkeys n00b
Old 05-19-2016, 12:34 AM
Aviak

Pros don't need hotkeys . Hotkeys are for those with slow reaction times [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Old 05-19-2016, 09:31 AM
Sarnak

Kind of a hijack but maybe someone can shed some insight. I heard that a low Charisma affects the duration of necro fear. Idk if that statement was lore based on how bad you speak the more scared the mob is of you or if there is actually a mechanic based on -CHA. I have seen a lot of necro items with negative CHA and some necros I know rave about it for some reason.
Closed Thread