Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Blue Community > Blue Server Chat

Closed Thread

Old 10-21-2009, 06:41 PM
Large Bat

Default Spell Effects...

By default, it seems the highest level spell effects are displayed even for level 1 spells. I am interested in changing this so that the spells look better as they are higher level. I know someone in game mentioned this can be done, but a forum search turned up nothing.

Does anyone know what can be changed?
Old 10-21-2009, 09:55 PM
VIP / Contributor

Send a message via MSN to Wenai

Here is the deal. We have two ways of dealing with particle effects.

1. Replace your spells_us.txt file with the most up to date file. This will give you spell graphics from the hands. The colors don't increase properly with Leveling.

Example: Casting Skin Like Wood
Level 1: Green Particle Effects
Level 50: Green + Blue Particle Effects
Level 60: Green + Red + Blue Particle effects.

I understand that originally it was Level 1, Level 24, Level 44. But as far as I know there is no way to edit this. I asked Ladoth about this issue and he almost guaranteed me that it was a client issue and not a source issue. The chances that we can fix this at this point are pretty bleak.

2. Remove your spellsnew.edd and spellsnew.eff files from your EverQuest folder and they will automatically revert to the classic particle effects that progress color wise properly. The problem there is NO PARTICLES FROM HANDS.

Basically it comes down to choosing the one that best fits your preferences. Do you want particles that level up properly or particles that come from hands. I personally choose particles that come from hands. :P
Old 10-24-2009, 04:01 PM
Large Bat

Thanks for the reply. If given the choice, I much prefer the older spell effects, so I'll stick with what I have.
Old 11-11-2009, 02:47 PM
Large Bat

Yes... for buffs it was Green, then Green+Orange, then Green+Orange+Blue, then Green+Orange+Blue+Red.
Old 02-15-2010, 02:19 PM
Large Rat

Sorry for resurrecting this old thread, but it is the most relevant (and has a Developer response).

Since the issue is client side and we're only concerned with 1999 spells...

If we have the original Everquest CDs, is it possible to install it, isolate the appropriate spell effect file(s), and copy it into the titanium directory? If so (or at least worth a shot), what file(s) should be moved over?
Old 02-15-2010, 02:42 PM
Aviak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Windburn [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Sorry for resurrecting this old thread, but it is the most relevant (and has a Developer response).

Since the issue is client side and we're only concerned with 1999 spells...

If we have the original Everquest CDs, is it possible to install it, isolate the appropriate spell effect file(s), and copy it into the titanium directory? If so (or at least worth a shot), what file(s) should be moved over?
Nope its not going to work. Its not a matter of having the right spell effects graphic files in the EQ folder (they original 1999 ones are already there, even on a titanium copy), its a matter of making the current client from 2005 use those old files. And since we can't edit the client, we can't really change that.

Overall i've found that most spells do work correctly, having the upgraded "look" as the levels progress. There are a few exceptions however, one being the generic buff spell, and I believe the heal spell too.
Old 02-15-2010, 03:28 PM
Large Rat

Fair enough, but why is it the client can't be edited?
Old 02-15-2010, 04:41 PM
Aviak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Windburn [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Fair enough, but why is it the client can't be edited?
Because we don't have source code for the client.
Old 03-08-2010, 11:27 PM
Aviak

I know this a old thread - but I hit 50 and no blue particles from hands as I was hoping for.
Anyone know where you can get the newest, spells_us.txt as Wenai wrote ?

I would very much like particles from hands! Makes me warm inside.
Old 03-09-2010, 12:08 AM
Sarnak

If you didn't delete your spellsnew.edd and spellsnew.eff files, then you should have particles coming from your hands, although not necessarily the right colors for your level. Only a few spells are affected by this, namely the buff effect. Other spells such as fireballs and root correctly upgrade their "look" as you level.
Closed Thread