Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Blue Community > Blue Server Chat

Closed Thread

Old 01-23-2018, 05:36 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by fadetree [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Someone who was all noble 'n stuff would have never gotten so involved in a 17 year old elf sim in the first place. They would have thought - 'really? nah.' and gone right on past. It's like people congratulate recovering alcoholics for being all brave and noble and stuff, when really they just finally stopped being a COMPLETE asshole for once in their lives.
I don't think you can generalize people like that. I don't think he was trying to be noble at all. He had nothing to prove to me for sure.

He just shared his situation with me seeing I was the only one he felt some sort of connection to in the game (I guess) and he wanted to give back what I had given to him. that in itself shows he has some integrity in my eyes anyway.

This guy really seemed like a dude that recalled the game from childhood, decided to DL it and found it just as it was when he was a kid, and he was starting to fall deeper into it.

He became cognizant of that, and dumped all his gears off and plats, to never log in again. I believe him, and believe he will never log in again.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Menden View Post
Wow, someone actually got it right. Lhancelot gets a gold star. They are 100% set by players even though we will enforce the way Lhancelot stated above.
Old 01-23-2018, 05:43 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by loramin [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Lhance I love how you find these great stories about the people behind the game, like this one or the one with Roddypiper. While we all tend to focus more on the game itself, I personally rather enjoy the occasional "human interest" story from time to time.
I honestly find these situations the most interesting for me personally.

Someone one time had this grand explanation on the forums of different personality types and how they play EQ.

One of the types didn't level much, didn't really accomplish so much in the game instead preferred to socialize and chat with other players.

I am a mixture of that type with someone that does level up etc. I find more satisfaction out of meeting the players behind the toons. It's far more rewarding for me than leveling the toon or killing dragons.
Quote:
Wow, someone actually got it right. Lhancelot gets a gold star. They are 100% set by players even though we will enforce the way Lhancelot stated above.
Old 01-23-2018, 06:30 PM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lhancelot [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I am a mixture of that type with someone that does level up etc. I find more satisfaction out of meeting the players behind the toons. It's far more rewarding for me than leveling the toon or killing dragons.
I think this was the real spirit of this game in 1999, something that few, if any, modern MMOs have ever really actualized. It's what brought people of all ages together and brought a lot of women into the gaming scene, possibly because of this social aspect. People got married through the game and made friendships and it was a real phenomenon.

Games sure have changed since then and I'm not sure if we will ever be able to fully recreate the experience of those days with how gaming has changed, but it sure is wonderful to find that, although small compared to back then, the spirit is still alive here.
Old 01-23-2018, 06:47 PM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by this user was banned [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I think this was the real spirit of this game in 1999, something that few, if any, modern MMOs have ever really actualized. It's what brought people of all ages together and brought a lot of women into the gaming scene, possibly because of this social aspect. People got married through the game and made friendships and it was a real phenomenon.

Games sure have changed since then and I'm not sure if we will ever be able to fully recreate the experience of those days with how gaming has changed, but it sure is wonderful to find that, although small compared to back then, the spirit is still alive here.
This is exactly what I wanted to try to articulate, but you did it much better than I ever could.

Having the social element outside of the game was a thing for me as well (back in the 1999 era). Talking to other nerds at school about EQ was something... well let's say if I wouldn't have had that I'm not sure I'd have ever been interested in this game at all in the first place.
Old 01-23-2018, 06:54 PM
Fire Giant

It was certainly a phenomenon. Of course, it is not like "social networking" outside of games and message boards was a thing quite yet.

Hell, some good friends of mine met in the game in 1999. He ended up moving out to OR from TN at the time. They are now married with twins. I am sure everyone here knows of similar relationships forged in the game.
Old 01-23-2018, 07:00 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lhancelot [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I honestly find these situations the most interesting for me personally.

Someone one time had this grand explanation on the forums of different personality types and how they play EQ.

One of the types didn't level much, didn't really accomplish so much in the game instead preferred to socialize and chat with other players.

You mean Bartle taxonomy of player types? That was me actually.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Socializer
The online environment is very appealing to the Socializer, as it provides near limitless potential for new relationships. Socializers start filling up their friend lists as soon as they start meeting people, and get to know them better through private messages and sometimes even voice chat. They take full advantage of the ability to join guilds or kinships in many online games, and form fast friendships and try to help other people out. They are compatible with just about everyone; even Killers will often get along with the more respectable Socializers (or simply know better than to pick a fight that the Socializer's friends will get involved in), and the more dramatic Socializers thrive symbiotically on the chaos created by some Killers. Eventually, they will most likely be a well-known name on their particular server, either for the services they provide, or for the drama they are involved in.
Yeah I think it's safe to call you a Socializer [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

Loramin Frostseer, Oracle of the Tribunal <Anonymous> and Fan of the "Where To Go For XP/For Treasure?" Guides
Anyone can improve the wiki! If you are new to the Blue server, you can improve the wiki to earn a "welcome package" of up to 2k+ platinum! Message me for details.
Old 01-23-2018, 07:35 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by loramin [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
You mean Bartle taxonomy of player types? That was me actually.

Yeah I think it's safe to call you a Socializer [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Yes that was it, rofl. I couldn't remember who posted it, nice Loramin.

I guess I am that type.

Only thing is I find guilds can take away from my autonomy so have found it more enjoyable to be unguilded and just socialize with all guild peoples and unguilded too.
Quote:
Old 01-23-2018, 08:07 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by fadetree [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Someone who was all noble 'n stuff would have never gotten so involved in a 17 year old elf sim in the first place. They would have thought - 'really? nah.' and gone right on past. It's like people congratulate recovering alcoholics for being all brave and noble and stuff, when really they just finally stopped being a COMPLETE asshole for once in their lives.
You seem like a very pleasant person. Probably really fun at parties

I enjoyed your story lhance. and we all know you're a softy

But didn't realize that this is more like... P99's 4chan or something.

except instead of random anons its a shark attack of a small clique that posts here all the time. so he's doubly fucked.
Old 01-23-2018, 08:36 PM
Banned

REALLY GAY THREAD!

Definition of gay
1 a : happily excited : merry in a gay mood
b : keenly alive and exuberant : having or inducing high spirits a bird's gay spring song
2 a : bright, lively gay sunny meadows
b : brilliant in color
Old 01-23-2018, 08:39 PM
Kobold

Quote:
Originally Posted by skarlorn [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
REALLY GAY THREAD!

Definition of gay
1 a : happily excited : merry in a gay mood
b : keenly alive and exuberant : having or inducing high spirits a bird's gay spring song
2 a : bright, lively gay sunny meadows
b : brilliant in color
You forgot a few definitions per your reference.

3 : given to social pleasures; also : licentious
4 a : homosexual gay men
b : of, relating to, or used by homosexuals the gay rights movement a gay bar
Closed Thread