Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Technical Discussion

Old 09-10-2011, 04:32 PM
Skeleton

Default LINUX outdated spellfile issue with 9/10 patch **SOLVED**

I saw somebody mention in the patch notes responses that he could get the update to work on a windows machine but couldn't on a linux box.

I wanted to see if anybody else is having the same issue or has come up with a fix for it?

Before the patch I was running EQ fine on Slackware 13.37 (x64) with Wine 1.2.3 and no problems. After the update I now run into the 'Your spells file is outdated' character when I get to the character select screen.

So far I've tried all of the steps that windows users are doing to get the update working correctly:

- unzip the update files to the EQ folder overwriting dsetup.dll, dbstr_us.txt, spells_us.txt, and Resources/GlobalLoad.txt
- delete wsock32.dll and eqgame.dll

I've also tried it without removing/renaming the dll files but I'm still running into the outdated spellfiles character.

I tried the EQEmuLauncher setup with Wine but am running into issues getting Wine to recognize that I've already setup Mono within Wine itself.

Has anybody had any success so far logging in?
Last edited by charkis; 09-10-2011 at 05:38 PM.. Reason: solved
Old 09-10-2011, 04:35 PM
Orc

Same problem, outdated spell file in linux after 1.4 update.
Old 09-10-2011, 05:01 PM
Kobold

Send a message via AIM to regatta

Same problem. I even tried making a wine exception with dsetup.dll just to try and nothing. Same outdated files error.
Old 09-10-2011, 05:06 PM
Kobold

Send a message via AIM to regatta

Figured it out. You have two dsetup.dll files. One is all lower case (dsetup.dll) and the other is all uppercase (DSETUP.DLL). WIth linux being case sensitive it has to be fixed. All you have to do is delete DSETUP.DLL. The all uppercase one. [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Old 09-10-2011, 05:35 PM
Skeleton

That fixed it. Nice catch Burple
Old 09-10-2011, 05:38 PM
Aviak

Fixed! You sir are the awesomeness.
Old 09-10-2011, 06:42 PM
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

haha linux case sensitiveness

Project 1999 Setup Guide
Old 09-23-2011, 04:50 PM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by regatta [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Figured it out. You have two dsetup.dll files. One is all lower case (dsetup.dll) and the other is all uppercase (DSETUP.DLL). WIth linux being case sensitive it has to be fixed. All you have to do is delete DSETUP.DLL. The all uppercase one. [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Just an additional explanation as I was about to ask how case sensitiveness could cause a problem if the required file (lowercase) is there: It's of course that in wine, the case sensitivity is gone, and while both files are available, it opens the wrong one (probably due to uppercase letters being lower ascii codes and ending up first in a sorted directory list).

Fixed my issues. Thank you sir, here's to you! [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogean [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
haha linux case sensitiveness
Haha, Windows non-case sensitiveness. ;p

Kind Regards,

Slozem
Old 04-19-2014, 09:30 AM
Sarnak

Ok, so the above fix worked for me. But now the game looks washed out like it is too bright and the screen likes to flash (randomly lose all clipping and shows the SKY everywhere)

How do I fix that?