Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Rants and Flames

Closed Thread

Old 03-31-2016, 02:37 PM
Large Bat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spyder73 [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
raid scene isn't that bad - gets over blown on the fourms.

There is this imagined image of eighty 30-40 year old men all staring at a computer screen with drool dripping out of the corner of their mouths sh!tting into socks. Its simply not the case.
I call Bullshit.
Old 03-31-2016, 02:49 PM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by ludovician [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
So, I play here super casually. I played with the hope of raiding on here someday, but having been browsing the forums for the past few months I can honestly say no-fkn-way.

The argument in the guild summit meeting thread about move speed getting to Tormax was enough to turn me off to this game forever. Is the high end community really THAT nitpicky over every single rule and how every single statement written by the staff is worded? I don't want to hang out with people who are going to try to twist everyone else's words so that they favor one individual.

Then I read about how every guild needed a bat phone to be competitive. So I'm on the same page: You want to text me at 3am on a work night to wake me up to log onto a game to push some buttons to kill an e-monster to have a 1/60 chance of getting some loot? That doesn't fit into my life and I'm surprised it fits into so many other people's lives.

For a casual like me I guess there's no hope of playing. What are you guys even competing so hard for? Those same monsters are going to spawn -forever- and future progression is pretty uncertain. You're literally just rushing to min maxing a character so you can look at some slightly bigger numbers in your stats screen and you're killing the enjoyment of the game for a ton of people.

I don't play here really so I guess my word is pretty much crap to all of you and I expect a pretty unfriendly response, but from the outside looking in - how the hell do people play this game?
Because much of EverQuest is the journey, not the destination. The end game was never awesome and is even less awesome on this server than Live. I am of the opinion that end games for mmos are generally not awesome, which is why it makes me sad so many of them have the mindset of "get to the level cap and now the REAL game will begin" (which is usually dull).

The meat of this game during this era was always in the exploration of new areas, bringing your group to dark corners of Norrath, killing mobs that few people ever saw. You can still do that on p99. To me that's the reason to play. No matter what anyone says there's still things to do here that few people ever do, and things to see that few people ever see, even 17 years later. I know because I bring my static group to these areas and very few people are ever there, if anyone.. The population concentrates itself in a few zones, leaving a lot for others to see.

I've been playing for close to three years on p99 now, on and off, taking my time. It's a long trek to 60, and it can be quite enjoyable if you do it right. People who rush to 60 just so they can sit at the firepots in NToV and wait for the pull team to give them a dragon to kill confuse me. On one level I get it, people like having the best pixels, and this is one of the easier ways to get them. But that isn't me.

The point is that EverQuest is what you make of it. Don't worry if you are not planning on being a top end raider. There's tons to do even if you're not.
Crallos Rek - 35 ogre shaman
Timothe - 31 human enchanter
Variol Cutthroat - 27 human paladin
Telehr - 23 human magician
Old 03-31-2016, 02:51 PM
Kobold

Trackers are for sure.

The rest just log when they hear the phones. Some of them will stop their real lives for this call and be on high alert. Others will log in if convenient.

The last most reasonable group of people often get blocked from bidding because they do not meet the holy number of raid attendance in order to spend the dkp THEY EARNED.
Old 03-31-2016, 02:51 PM
Planar Protector

Raiding here sucks. Not raiding here doesn't suck. There's a lot of great content that gets ignored in everyone's rush to get to raiding.
Old 03-31-2016, 02:57 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by ludovician [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
So, I play here super casually. I played with the hope of raiding on here someday...

...but from the outside looking in - how the hell do people play this game?
Most the players on P1999 don't like the present high-end raid scene, and participate instead in other parts of the game. It's a fairly extensive game, after all. Only a small portion of the population here does high-end raids. As Zanderklocke posted--welcome to a reminder of why newer games typically make liberal use of instancing. Everquest demonstrated why it's bad for a small minority of nolifers to be able to dictate what content everyone else can or can't do; later games fixed that problem. Most the folks who stick with P99 year after year simply try to avoid the bad while enjoying the good.

Danth
Old 03-31-2016, 03:01 PM
Planar Protector

"Once Velious is released, all of the problems in the raid scene will be fixed because you can't just mow down mobs with more than 32K HP." [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Old 03-31-2016, 03:03 PM
Fire Giant

The raid scene on p99 is pretty bad, but there are many casual raid guilds you can join in which batphones are totally optional and raids are never required. Join one of those and raid as little or as often as you want to maximize your fun.
Old 03-31-2016, 03:39 PM
Sarnak

Those who still raid competitively on this server must have some sort of chemical imbalance. There's little point since the content progression is over.
Old 03-31-2016, 04:49 PM
Planar Protector

Make your own server and summon anything you want with GM commands
Old 03-31-2016, 04:56 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fountree [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Those who still raid competitively on this server must have some sort of chemical imbalance. There's little point since the content progression is over.
There was a point in WoW where I had full tier 2 and all the goodies I needed out of BWL for my shaman - I looted my mace off of Nefarian and was full of joy. I went to Org after the raid and did all my town sh!t and then I stood there looking at my character, reveling in my glory. Enough of that I told myself, time to get back to work....only there was nothing left to do. My character was full BiS. Feelings of joy turned to feelings of wasted time, little Tekilya was crushed. I vowed to myself from that point forward that I would never get caught in a gear grind again.

At least with progression being locked your BiS char will always be shiny, expansions are what turn your gear to crap.

There is plenty to do in EQ without worry about Vulak loot
Closed Thread