Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Green Community > Green Server Chat

Closed Thread

Old 10-17-2019, 04:55 AM
VIP / Contributor

Send a message via MSN to Wenai

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zekayy [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
People have said they dont like the ui the way it is now, and while some agree and some dont. I want to respectfully ask why we cant get close to the stone ui as possible I get it its nearly impossible due to the titanium client but if people can get it basically working on p99 through here http://p99.yourfirefly.com/downloads/classic1.3.jpg couldnt you just use this one and work on the code to get it working on p99?? just a thought I had everyone or maybe this https://www.eqinterface.com/download...fo.php?id=4726.
Here is the primary problem using that Stone UI.

https://www.project1999.com/forums/s...5&postcount=26
Old 10-17-2019, 05:38 AM
Sarnak

UI kicks me right in the nostalgia bawls. Love it!

Gabronth
15 Human Paladin
Old 10-17-2019, 06:57 AM
Sarnak

I think most people complaining about the UI are complaining about 2 major issues. The first is ignorance, they don't understand this IS a classic ui, and that "velious" UI is kind of a misnomer that can more accurately be described as "classic" ui (in the titanium timeframe, the difference is relatively small)
The second, and main issue: The UI is a bit small on modern resolutions.
Exactly what resolution / screen size are you guys designing for? I would think that a 1920x1080 22" monitor would be a "basic" thing to design around. Yes some people have 4k monitors, but many don't. But not many people are playing at less than 1080, and asking everyone to chane their monitor resolution is not an acceptable solution (many people play in windowed mode...)

When you compare this image that you say you are trying to replicate
[You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
To the angry man's image:

You can see the difference right away. The 1999 monitor was NOT four inches wide. That means the UI was MUCH LARGER relative to screen size. Try this:
full screen (f10) and zoom(ctrl =) your browser such that the 1999 pic takes up most of your screen. See how much better that looks? If the angry man's ui had anywhere close to that scale it would be much more readable even with transparent black background.

I know that UI scaling is not possible, but you guys need to either :
A. Increase the scale on the ONLY version by about 25%, or
B. release 2-3 versions of the ui: Scaled & 100%, 125%, 150%, etc.
(even up to 200% for a closer to "Actually classic" experience)
Options for implementing B:
1. Make the users copy/paste the appropriate file
2. allow these 3 uis to be switched between with the in game interface / loadskin (/loadskin velious150). The green server then allows only these few interfaces.
Last edited by soronil; 10-17-2019 at 07:04 AM..
Old 10-17-2019, 07:50 AM
Planar Protector

Here's my feedback: UI looks fantastic. I really appreciate you guys getting this as classic as possible on your own time and for no extra money.
Old 10-17-2019, 07:57 AM
Planar Protector

Not sure if possible but the main feature and best feature of classic ui back in actual classic was the selfie camera when you opened the inventory window. Reference: http://everquest.allakhazam.com/gall...screenshot.jpg This should be brought back, it was a great feature.
Videos
Wipe it clean.
Last edited by Smedy; 10-17-2019 at 07:59 AM..
Old 10-17-2019, 08:19 AM
VIP / Contributor

Send a message via MSN to Wenai

Quote:
Originally Posted by soronil [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I think most people complaining about the UI are complaining about 2 major issues. The first is ignorance, they don't understand this IS a classic ui, and that "velious" UI is kind of a misnomer that can more accurately be described as "classic" ui (in the titanium timeframe, the difference is relatively small)
The second, and main issue: The UI is a bit small on modern resolutions.
Exactly what resolution / screen size are you guys designing for? I would think that a 1920x1080 22" monitor would be a "basic" thing to design around. Yes some people have 4k monitors, but many don't. But not many people are playing at less than 1080, and asking everyone to chane their monitor resolution is not an acceptable solution (many people play in windowed mode...)

When you compare this image that you say you are trying to replicate
To the angry man's image:

You can see the difference right away. The 1999 monitor was NOT four inches wide. That means the UI was MUCH LARGER relative to screen size. Try this:
full screen (f10) and zoom(ctrl =) your browser such that the 1999 pic takes up most of your screen. See how much better that looks? If the angry man's ui had anywhere close to that scale it would be much more readable even with transparent black background.

I know that UI scaling is not possible, but you guys need to either :
A. Increase the scale on the ONLY version by about 25%, or
B. release 2-3 versions of the ui: Scaled & 100%, 125%, 150%, etc.
(even up to 200% for a closer to "Actually classic" experience)
Options for implementing B:
1. Make the users copy/paste the appropriate file
2. allow these 3 uis to be switched between with the in game interface / loadskin (/loadskin velious150). The green server then allows only these few interfaces.
No. We cannot choose 1920x1080 as the minimum resolution. People using a laptop with integrated graphics are probably sitting at approx 1280x720. UI assets sized for 1080p would be basically unusable. We ran into this when sizing the tracking window. Some wanted it to be 1000px tall, but at 720p it would get cut off. We ended up making it 600pixels so that it could fit comfortably at 720p.
Old 10-17-2019, 08:47 AM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wenai [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
No. We cannot choose 1920x1080 as the minimum resolution. People using a laptop with integrated graphics are probably sitting at approx 1280x720. UI assets sized for 1080p would be basically unusable. We ran into this when sizing the tracking window. Some wanted it to be 1000px tall, but at 720p it would get cut off. We ended up making it 600pixels so that it could fit comfortably at 720p.
Now we understand part of the problem. You are basing decisions on a resolution used by LESS THAN ONE PERCENT of PC gamers. The current steam hardware survey results are below I understand this is not a 100% correlation to p99 users, but it's probably the closest thing you can get.

Even understanding that 11.63% of people are at 1366x768 (modern low end laptop), you can not ignore the 80% of people that are going to have a poorer experience here. We are forced to use a UI designed for 800x600 and it's a problem.

If the projects goal is "add some textures to the UI, we don't really care about a classic ui scale and user experience though". Great job. You're on the right track. Keep ignoring everyone who is having a bad time.

If the projects goal is "recreate classic eq feel" then I think having a semblance of proper UI scale would be important, and as a bonus would give most people an interface that is much easier for them to use.

I understand this is hard, and that the best fix probably involves having multiple versions of the UI(different scales). But considering even the lowest common demoninator is using a higher resolution than this velious UI was designed for, some degree of scaling is necessary even if there is only 1 version of the UI.
https://store.steampowered.com/hwsur...lcome-to-Steam
Attached Images
File Type: jpg steam hardware survey.jpg (19.4 KB, 2 views)
Last edited by soronil; 10-17-2019 at 08:50 AM..
Old 10-17-2019, 08:58 AM
Planar Protector

What's so hard about running in a classic or at least non-massive resolution? I run 1024x768, windowed mode, but sized full-screen top-to-bottom (no dinky little window). I keep reading posts from people who act as though they're wholly incapable of changing resolutions. Is that a problem on some PC's? My monitor supports at least up to 1920x1080 (kind of an industry standard dimension), maybe higher, but I don't use it for P99. I don't expect old games to work all that well on resolutions that weren't even invented yet when they were created.

There are people playing this on laptops, and in some cases on notebooks. At least a few users have tried running it on tablets. All sorts of people play here. The notion of putting together a team and building a scaled-up UI has some merit, but I agree with Wenai it would make no sense to cater only to the top-end. Anyone can play, even if with a little difficulty, with the current option. Catering solely to the top-end as the only option would mean a portion of users couldn't play at all, which is clearly worse.

Danth
Last edited by Danth; 10-17-2019 at 09:04 AM..
Old 10-17-2019, 09:03 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danth [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I agree with Wenai it would make no sense to cater only to the top-end. Anyone can play, even if with a little difficulty, with the current option. Catering to the top-end would mean a portion of users couldn't play at all, which is clearly worse.Danth
Old 10-17-2019, 09:45 AM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danth [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
What's so hard about running in a classic or at least non-massive resolution? I run 1024x768, windowed mode, but sized full-screen top-to-bottom (no dinky little window). I keep reading posts from people who act as though they're wholly incapable of changing resolutions. Is that a problem on some PC's? My monitor supports at least up to 1920x1080 (kind of an industry standard dimension), maybe higher, but I don't use it for P99. I don't expect old games to work all that well on resolutions that weren't even invented yet when they were created.

There are people playing this on laptops, and in some cases on notebooks. At least a few users have tried running it on tablets. All sorts of people play here. The notion of putting together a team and building a scaled-up UI has some merit, but I agree with Wenai it would make no sense to cater only to the top-end. Anyone can play, even if with a little difficulty, with the current option. Catering solely to the top-end as the only option would mean a portion of users couldn't play at all, which is clearly worse.

Danth
No one is asking to cater solely to the top end. But neither is 1920x1080 "top end." It's what most people who come to p99 for the first time to play green are going to be trying to do. Asking them to do weird stuff or suffer because the UI was designed for a minimum resolution of 640x480 is stupid.
It's one thing to say "yes the UI would ideally be larger" but it's hard to do (and we're only making it harder by adding textures)
It's another to say "the UI scale is currently fine and need no changes" which is delusional.
The minimum solution, if the project were to seek one, would be to scale the resolution so that it looks good on the common resolution, but still works (but is a bit large) on the minimum resolution. That's classic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deathrydar [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
(nothing)
Hey man, you got anything to actually contribute or here to literally be a waste of (post per page)space?
Closed Thread