Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Off Topic

Closed Thread

Old 06-02-2017, 11:02 AM
Banned

Default Books for nerds

So I have a couple of series I have been reading and a couple I have finished. I would mostly recommend any of these aside from Wheel of Time (it's too long)

READING NOW

“The Night Angel Trilogy” – This is what I’m currently reading, on book 2. So far I am very impressed by the series and all 3 books are already released so you can burn through them all (not terribly long books). I bought all 3 books from Halfpriced books for less than $10

“The Stormlight Archive” by Brandon Sanderson has 2 books released and the third slated for this winter. Very good series with a new release this year. However, I think there are 10 planed books, so this one will be a 20 years in wait progression. #BridgeFour

“The King Killer Chronicles” by Patrick Rothfuss – Trilogy series with 2 released and the 3rd probably coming out in 2018. They are also making a TV series and/or movie out of this. It’s pretty good, definitely worth the read.

Game of Thrones – If you have not read these you should, there is a reason the series is so popular. Need GRRM to finish the f#cking series so I can move this to the completed section.

COMPLETED SERIES

The Wheel of Time by Robert Jordan– stay away, it’s too long. I read all 13 books (1000+ pages per) and while I am happy I know of the adventure of Rand Al’thor, it still wasn’t worth it in the long run.

The Malazan Book of The Fallen by Steven Erickson– Similar to WoT series in its length (10 books) but I enjoyed the series more than WoT. Criticism is it can be very disjointed at times. There are too many characters and the books jump all over the place. Karsa Orlong is one of the best characters of all time though

The Malloreon Series by David Eddings – Solid series, one of the first fantasy novels I really got into – 5 books

From reading some "old fantasy" books versus some newer releases, I would definitely recommend going with the "new". There are a lot of really great fantasy writers out there today who are building on older series such as MBoTF and WoT
Old 06-02-2017, 02:36 PM
VIP / Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spyder73 [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
“The King Killer Chronicles” by Patrick Rothfuss – Trilogy series with 2 released and the 3rd probably coming out in 2018. They are also making a TV series and/or movie out of this. It’s pretty good, definitely worth the read.
Definitely worth reading! Thoroughly enjoyed this author's style.

Also, one of my favorite "old" fantasy books is the chronicles of Amber. If you have not read that, thumb through it. Can't buy it for Kindle, but the "Great Book of Amber" on Amazon is like 18 bucks. I actually just bought one lol
Old 06-02-2017, 03:05 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spyder73 [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Game of Thrones – If you have not read these you should, there is a reason the series is so popular. Need GRRM to finish the f#cking series so I can move this to the completed section.
This is just my opinion, but I don't think Martin is a good recommendation for everyone. Martin's books are great for people who like reading Tolkien: if you enjoy Tolkien's pages and pages describing how pretty the mountain trees look you'll love Martin's pages and pages describing people you have absolutely no reason to care about (but presumably will in 1,000 pages or so).

For everyone else I'd recommend at least watching the LotR movies/GoT show first before reading the books. That way you get to enjoy the plot without having to wade through the lengthy prose, and when you do read those prose you'll at least have a frame of reference.

Quote:
The Malloreon Series by David Eddings – Solid series, one of the first fantasy novels I really got into – 5 books
Man, it's been ages since I read that series, but I remember completely loving it. Would definitely second this recommendation.

Loramin Frostseer, Oracle of the Tribunal <Anonymous> and Fan of the "Where To Go For XP/For Treasure?" Guides
Anyone can improve the wiki! If you are new to the Blue server, you can improve the wiki to earn a "welcome package" of up to 2k+ platinum! Message me for details.
Last edited by loramin; 06-02-2017 at 03:18 PM..
Old 06-02-2017, 03:36 PM
Fire Giant

Once you finish the Night Angel Trilogy I suggest reading the "Lightbringer Series" starting with the "Black Prism". It's by the same author and has a similar interesting take on magic. It's another light read as well and is awaiting series completion like the Kingkiller Chronicles.
Old 06-02-2017, 05:21 PM
Banned

Quote:

And suddenly his cock was out, jutting upward from his breeches like a fat pink mast.

the american tolkien
Old 06-02-2017, 05:35 PM
Fire Giant

Cool

it actually say that in the book? that a confusing way to describe a penis. what th heck a fat mast look liek? and what it good for too? it gonna make you ship unstable and require more rope and stuff for you sails. you have a big fat last in a storm and you boat gonna capsize for sure. do the character liek proceed to make a mistake after it suddenly appear from his pants liek that? that maybe make sense if so.
Old 06-02-2017, 05:39 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by maskedmelonpai [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
it actually say that in the book? that a confusing way to describe a penis. what th heck a fat mast look liek? and what it good for too? it gonna make you ship unstable and require more rope and stuff for you sails. you have a big fat last in a storm and you boat gonna capsize for sure. do the character liek proceed to make a mistake after it suddenly appear from his pants liek that? that maybe make sense if so.
it's all about relative scale. u want ur mast to break just under the force required to capsize ur ship while pitched at a riskier angle.. if ur a big n@g this entails a big fat mast. u don't want it unnecessarily small or it will break ez in heavy wind for no reason and then u can't get where ur going. i think its really good writing but if and only if the character involved is a large masc man (which is likely with grrm i presume)
Old 06-02-2017, 05:50 PM
Banned

sounds like you guys want a GRRM boat quote

He found a line and pulled on it, fighting toward the hatch to get himself below out of the storm, but a gust of wind knocked his feet from under him and a second slammed him into the rail and there he clung. Rain lashed at his face, blinding him. His mouth was full of blood again. The ship groaned and growled beneath him like a constipated fat man straining to shit.
Old 06-02-2017, 06:17 PM
Planar Protector

Martin's style is why I can't read him. Forced grotesque.
Old 06-02-2017, 08:48 PM
Fire Giant

I feel like Brandon Sanderson is the only current author that's really good. Releases books super fast and always high quality stuff

Patrick Rothfuss is nice, but he takes so long to release books that were already "finished" when he published the first book. GRRM is also really slow and I never had any interest in him outside of GoT
Closed Thread