Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Green Community > Green Server Chat

Closed Thread

Old 10-30-2019, 06:03 PM
VIP / Contributor

Send a message via MSN to Wenai

+1

Kunark era is by far the best. Velious is pretty terrible and EQ lost part of its charm in Velious.
Old 10-30-2019, 06:49 PM
Fire Giant

One of the most important things about Kunark is that a lot of the best gear is tradeable. While there's some pretty great stuff in VP, it's mostly weapons, and epics are worthwhile alternatives to those. Once you get to Velious, there's a gigantic divide between raiders and the rest as the gear from raid content becomes so overpowered. Since the game simply doesn't have enough raid content for everyone who would like to raid, that creates a highly toxic situation where a lot of players are prevented from "competing" (insofar as you can compete on a PvE server) simply because the content isn't available to them, and there's nothing they can do about it because there's a hard limit on the amount of raiding that a server can accomodate. In Kunark, you don't quite have the same issue as anyone with enough money can buy almost everything.

In some ways, Velious was the worst thing that ever happened to Everquest, and to MMORPGs in general. It turned the game from "the world belongs to you" to "you're part of the 5% that raids or you're literally worthless." The gear from Velious raid content is just too far ahead. It especially destroyed the PvP scene, but it's also a blemish on PvE. It really ruined the game on a fundamental level. Don't know what they were thinking. Non-raiders in Velious have no reason to exist at all.
Last edited by greatdane; 10-30-2019 at 07:01 PM..
Old 10-30-2019, 07:02 PM
Planar Protector

Mechanically I totally agree, although I dislike the artwork in Kunark quite a bit compared to Classic/Velious (Those snow dwarves are an abomination though)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wenai [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
EQ lost part of its charm in Velious.
I both 100% agree with you and, only very slightly disagree, in that I think the art steered a bit more in line with what I thought classic artwork should look like, although those dwarfs = no. [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Last edited by Jibartik; 10-30-2019 at 07:04 PM..
Old 10-30-2019, 07:33 PM
Kobold

I wouldn't say Kunark is my favorite expansion of EQ but I like it more than Velious.
Old 10-30-2019, 07:48 PM
Planar Protector

I would have preferred existing in the timeline where kunark was instead:

- only new zones built into the original continents, focusing on dungeons & raid bosses (both indoor and out) The frigid planes, Winters Deep, The Nest, The Northlands, Unkempt woods, jaggadpine, Life fire River, The Serpant and the Serpants Spine to name a few locations!
- level 55 max
- focus on expanding the quests and making many more of them, including epics
- New type of armor appearance
- actual froglok city and playable race that looks like froglocks. (sorry lizards [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.])
Closed Thread