Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Class Discussions > Melee

Closed Thread

Old 01-15-2015, 09:29 AM
Sarnak

Default 27 monk - gear + leveling questions

Hi all,

I'm currently running a dual combination with my bro (shaman) and we are both level 27 currently fighting in MM. MM is phenomenal experience, but I really want to go try out HK. We visited HK when we were 23 or 24 and found everything red aside from one yellow, but something is drawing me back there.

My gear consists of cured silk aside from specific pieces (executioner's hood), 5AC/55hp rings (x2), KD/Wu stick for 1hb, Wu's Quivering for 2hb. I have ~300pp saved up, + an unsold runed bone fork and ideally would like to get a FBSS next (long ways away [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]). Is there any gear that is relatively inexpensive that would be better for me to upgrade to or should I save up for a FBSS?

Also when can we head back to HK and safely clear the iniital room of guards and hold the place down? I'm thinking we'll wait for 30 so I can get flying kick, but if exp is comparable to MM and it is doable, I'd rather start now.
Old 01-15-2015, 01:28 PM
Aviak

If you want to combine exp and cash and HHK you can!

I saved up 3k-4k doing goblins through my 20's and transitioning to HHK guards for the bulk of my 30's.

Make sure you get your fair share of goblin ears. When you do guards just duo them with your brother. It will take a few nights of trial and error to learn how to pull/camp the guards and avoid the nasty 2nd floor npcs that will be red to you - but its rewarding once you figure it out.

I was able to purchase an FBSS on my own in my late 30's mainly because I lived in HHK from 24-38/39.
Old 01-15-2015, 01:47 PM
Sarnak

You're not going to notice much of a difference with a few more AC/stats here and there. If you don't have one, I'd buy a large soiled bag. It's 100% weight reduction for small items only, but that's perfect for loading up food and bandages without burdening yourself.

The upstairs goblins in HHK are lvl 23-26, while the raiders and warriors are 31. I stayed there until 34 on my shm doing goblins in full groups. I did guards til 35, although I could have done them longer. The goblins and guards were pretty heavily camped, though.
Old 01-15-2015, 03:08 PM
Aviak

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrKvothe [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
You're not going to notice much of a difference with a few more AC/stats here and there. If you don't have one, I'd buy a large soiled bag. It's 100% weight reduction for small items only, but that's perfect for loading up food and bandages without burdening yourself.

The upstairs goblins in HHK are lvl 23-26, while the raiders and warriors are 31. I stayed there until 34 on my shm doing goblins in full groups. I did guards til 35, although I could have done them longer. The goblins and guards were pretty heavily camped, though.
My SolB experience is very limited. How hard is it to camp a large soiled bag solo or grouped? I've been thinking about trying for one, now that I'm closing in on level 50.
Old 01-15-2015, 03:39 PM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by cor3nth [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
My SolB experience is very limited. How hard is it to camp a large soiled bag solo or grouped? I've been thinking about trying for one, now that I'm closing in on level 50.
solb is overcamped but usually people say when an extra soiled bag drops. thats how I got mine [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Old 01-15-2015, 06:30 PM
Banned

By the time you save 7k-9k for a FBSS - you will probably be close enough to lvl 46 where it doesnt seem crazy far away - you can enter the planes at this point. Tranquil Belt is free, and they rot from virtually any sky raid on the server. They drop all the time and are much better than FBSS. If you cant afford a FBSS from the onset of character creation, I dont see the point in buying one. Since you group with a shaman most of the time you will be haste caped or close to haste caped at the low levels anyways.

You can find a copy of the Sky raid schedule somewhere on the main site, join one of the guilds whos time aligns with when you can log in.

The money you would waste on a FBSS should be spent on buying better weapons - I personally recommend a Peace Bringer for 3.5k-4k until you can get Epic done.
Old 01-16-2015, 08:32 AM
Sarnak

xvvxvvxaxfxxxvvasadsxzxvxvvv`
Old 01-16-2015, 08:42 AM
Sarnak

Sorry the above - I'm unable to edit.

Thanks for the great advice - I think I may hold out on getting the FBSS and save up for a new 2hander, or maybe some other sort of gear. Just hit 30 last night in MM and after getting flying kick will be heading over to HK to try my luck. [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Old 01-27-2015, 09:34 AM
Aviak

Seems like a lot of monks without the ability to twink have the same exact gear set up well into the 30s. Wu's Quivering, 2 platinum fire wedding rings, and a set of cured silk. Sounds like the next best investment is in an upgrade in a weapon. Gonna try and do that myself although I'm currently far from that lvl (18 Monk).
Old 01-27-2015, 12:46 PM
Aviak

Quote:
Originally Posted by joedirt87 [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Seems like a lot of monks without the ability to twink have the same exact gear set up well into the 30s. Wu's Quivering, 2 platinum fire wedding rings, and a set of cured silk. Sounds like the next best investment is in an upgrade in a weapon. Gonna try and do that myself although I'm currently far from that lvl (18 Monk).
If you have a Wu's Quivering, I think going for the FBSS would be more beneficial. Yes it requires a great deal of 'fiscal discipline' but here are my points:

1. Once you have the FBSS it will enhance any weapon setup you have
2. The resell value of the FBSS is high - or you can hand it down to an alt if you get a better haste item later...
3. Wu's Quivering Staff is really nice, despite it being from CoM trash mobs - if you upgrade to an IFS, or Peacebringer, or AC/Jade Mace + SoS - you will still be drooling for haste.

Its a longer road to the FBSS, but worth it if you have the patience.

Also - its really worth camping two rings of shadow in south karana for clicky invis. I wish I would have done it earlier on my monk. It allows me to sneak in and out of places a lot easier. (IE. Lower Guk for Raster, Dalnir, Droga etc..)
Closed Thread