Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Off Topic

Closed Thread

Old 07-26-2016, 03:10 PM
Fire Giant

Default Game of Thrones spin off show

So there is a discussion about a spin off show for GoT is possibly that may be placed in production. I worry it will become a lamer version of the show, similar to Fear The Walking Dead. George RR Martin put years in creating his story, I'm sure HBO will have a short time line to write a plot and create new characters no one has any investment in.
Any thoughts on this?

http://www.viralthread.com/theres-go...&__ssuid=65273
Old 07-26-2016, 04:10 PM
Planar Protector

I think it would be pretty easy to make a decent spinoff with the game of thrones universe. Lot of good groundwork has been laid, but one has to wonder how much will change between now and the end of the series.
Old 07-26-2016, 04:13 PM
Fire Giant

It can be done very well with good writing.

Better Call Saul is a great example of a spin-off show (of Breaking Bad) done right.
Old 07-26-2016, 05:05 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sage Truthbearer [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
It can be done very well with good writing.

Better Call Saul is a great example of a spin-off show (of Breaking Bad) done right.
This. You bring in the writers (not just 1 guy) a good writers room can do anything.

The writers room is key. D&D are a great example of not respecting the writers room.

PKer & Master Trainer and Terrorist of Sullon Zek
Kills: 1278, Deaths: 76, Killratio: 16.82
Old 07-27-2016, 01:35 PM
Kobold

The Dunk & Egg books are great and would be kind of a fun show. Not sure how much they could pull from less than 400 pages though.
Old 07-27-2016, 04:12 PM
VIP / Contributor

i enjoyed the Dunk & Egg books a great deal, but it's a completely different vibe than the GoT books. if people went into Dunk & Egg expecting GoT they'd be upset. and if they tried to alter Dunk & Egg to fit a GoT feeling, i don't think it would go well.

the Dunk & Egg books have an underlying humor to them, and when there is drama, it doesn't feel the same.

but really, how about GRRM finishes the last two D&E books before HBO starts another unfinished series by GRRM

Sirken's Twitch Stream - www.twitch.tv/sirken_

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uthgaard View Post
Accusing me of simultaneous favoritism for two opposing guilds involves a special kind of stupid
Quote:
Originally Posted by karsten View Post
going after sirken is like going to a cheerleader convention and punching the only one that bothered to talk to you
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogean View Post
I've met Sirken IRL.. he ain't jelly of shit

Old 07-27-2016, 05:04 PM
Planar Protector

Dunk & Egg has a Hercules TV show vibe to me. Where even the violence in Hercules was supposed to be humorful. If you all remember that show with Kevin Sorbo.

Like there was nothing funny about the Hercules plot, or the violence inherently, but every scene had levity and humor between Hercules and his partner as they were involved in all this drama every episode.

As Sirk said its more of a comedic drama.

PKer & Master Trainer and Terrorist of Sullon Zek
Kills: 1278, Deaths: 76, Killratio: 16.82
Old 07-28-2016, 12:27 AM
VIP / Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by AzzarTheGod [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Dunk & Egg has a Hercules TV show vibe to me. Where even the violence in Hercules was supposed to be humorful. If you all remember that show with Kevin Sorbo.

Like there was nothing funny about the Hercules plot, or the violence inherently, but every scene had levity and humor between Hercules and his partner as they were involved in all this drama every episode.

As Sirk said its more of a comedic drama.
but you know that 7v7 trial by combat would be epic [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

Sirken's Twitch Stream - www.twitch.tv/sirken_

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uthgaard View Post
Accusing me of simultaneous favoritism for two opposing guilds involves a special kind of stupid
Quote:
Originally Posted by karsten View Post
going after sirken is like going to a cheerleader convention and punching the only one that bothered to talk to you
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogean View Post
I've met Sirken IRL.. he ain't jelly of shit

Old 07-28-2016, 08:36 AM
Banned

I read a series of books called the Kingkiller Chronicles by Patrick Rothfuss, they are pretty good - very different vibe than GoT - but very good. They are being developed into a TV series and movie by Twentieth Century Fox. So if you like books where they become TV/Movies, then read the Kingkiller Chronicles.

Plus it's only a 3 book series with 2 of the books already released. The third book has been under development for awhile now and should be released within the year (Unless the f@cker turns out to be like GRRM)
Old 07-29-2016, 09:58 AM
Aviak

Been waiting 5 years for the 3rd book, expect to wait 3 more :P
Closed Thread