Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Green Community > Green Server Chat

Closed Thread

Old 09-21-2019, 04:12 AM
Sarnak

As someone who remembers playing EQ back then I can tell you 100% people were aoe'ing more then 4 mobs when the game came out.
I remember running around Fire Fluxing everything and there was no 4 mob limit, there was no limit whatsoever.
Old 09-21-2019, 04:45 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vyal [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
As someone who remembers playing EQ back then I can tell you 100% people were aoe'ing more then 4 mobs when the game came out.
I remember running around Fire Fluxing everything and there was no 4 mob limit, there was no limit whatsoever.
I mean, if you have evidence show it to Rogean. He just announced the change today due to evidence provided. If you can show something convincing, he seems to be open to changes.

My first character was a warrior, so I don't have any particular memory of early aoe'ing. I didn't make the druid that would become my main until half way through Kunark.
Old 09-21-2019, 04:55 AM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tethler [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I mean, if you have evidence show it to Rogean. He just announced the change today due to evidence provided. If you can show something convincing, he seems to be open to changes.

My first character was a warrior, so I don't have any particular memory of early aoe'ing. I didn't make the druid that would become my main until half way through Kunark.
Anyone can tell you there was never any 4 mob limit and if there was for a bard spell it was a bug.

"Creates a circle of fire around you, causing between 8 and @1 damage to all nearby creatures."
Not for 4 nearby creatures....

You guys are jumping through freaking hoops to try and change game mechanics.

There was never a mob limit in Everquest. People were doing AoE groups as early as the start of 2000 which coincides with players reaching high enough levels to effectively do them without getting dead.
Old 09-21-2019, 04:58 AM
Sarnak

If a player or group can pull all the mobs then a 25 mob limit makes no sense it's just a waste of time.
You kill 25 mobs med kill 25 mobs med kill 25 mobs med. Instead of 75 mobs in one pull...
It makes no sense it's just a huge pain in the ass and not a real mechanic of classic EQ.
Old 09-21-2019, 05:53 AM
Kobold

The fact is you could of course pull more mobs then 25 back in 99 but no one had the computer or internet connection like today to actually kite it around without lagging themselves out and dying, no one in 1999 was kiting half a zone at a time and if you claim they were you definitely didnt play back then.
Old 09-21-2019, 06:11 AM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by stewe [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
The fact is you could of course pull more mobs then 25 back in 99 but no one had the computer or internet connection like today to actually kite it around without lagging themselves out and dying, no one in 1999 was kiting half a zone at a time and if you claim they were you definitely didnt play back then.
People were doing AoE on dial up at the start of 2000. You think there was some massive change in internet connection within a few months or something?
The only reason people didn't kite zones or AoE many mobs at the start was because everyone was a noob.

There was never not at any time a mob limit it's not a classic mechanic.

I for sure played when the game first came out and know what i'm talking about. It seems to me that there a bunch of people who never played classic EQ or have terrible memories about 56k internet or something but the truth is it was perfectly capable of more then 25 mobs without LD because people did it all the time.

If you don't believe me just grab a bandwidth management tool set it to 56k speeds login to p99 and test it yourself sure you might lag but that's part of the deal nobody back then expected to have perfect ping pulling many mobs.
Old 09-21-2019, 07:04 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vyal [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
People were doing AoE groups as early as the start of 2000 which coincides with players reaching high enough levels to effectively do them without getting dead.
So, after September 1999 then.
Old 09-21-2019, 07:53 AM
VIP / Contributor

Send a message via MSN to Wenai

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dolalin [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
So, after September 1999 then.
I think he needs to improve his reading comprehension. No one is arguing that AoE groups were a thing. There was source material (official patch notes) stating this:

Quote:
------------------------------
September 13, 1999
------------------------------

Bug Fixes:

- A bug in some of the AoE code has been fixed. AoE spells will now
effect more monsters.
No where does it say only Bard Songs. It says as a blanket coverage AoE spells. This limitation of 4 mobs will be removed after about 6 months, as per Rogean's post. I would imagine at that point, it will be restored to the non-classic (but very necessary) 25 mob limitation.

My personal opinion is that AoE groups, and soloers are super cancerous for server community health. I feel that we are potentially going to be staring down a major population density problem on green, and finding these patch notes are potentially going to alleviate some of those problems by allowing more experience creatures available for everyone in the Karanas.

Dolalin is the hero that green needed.
Old 09-21-2019, 08:52 AM
Banned

LOW HP KITE AND WIZARDS BLOW UP TRAIN classic af y’all really need to pray to brad
Old 09-21-2019, 08:55 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wenai [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I think he needs to improve his reading comprehension. No one is arguing that AoE groups were a thing. There was source material (official patch notes) stating this:

No where does it say only Bard Songs. It says as a blanket coverage AoE spells. This limitation of 4 mobs will be removed after about 6 months, as per Rogean's post. I would imagine at that point, it will be restored to the non-classic (but very necessary) 25 mob limitation.

My personal opinion is that AoE groups, and soloers are super cancerous for server community health. I feel that we are potentially going to be staring down a major population density problem on green, and finding these patch notes are potentially going to alleviate some of those problems by allowing more experience creatures available for everyone in the Karanas.

Dolalin is the hero that green needed.
hey wenai I found that patch note and posted them here first! I want some credit destroying the most toxic feature in the game [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.][You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.][You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.] too!
Closed Thread