Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Rants and Flames

Closed Thread

Old 06-22-2010, 02:35 PM
Aviak

Default Please people learn how to play pet classes.

When I say pets, I am meaning any controllable pet, (unlike the Enchanter Pet)

Necro Pets
Mage Pets
Shaman Pets
Charmed Pets

I am wondering how many people actually know how to control their pet.

In the beginning, lower levels, this doesn't matter and I am wondering if this is why so many people I group with fight with me about this topic.

Being an Enchanter for many levels, many servers, I have had hit or miss on pug groups and people controlling their pets. I am not going to worry about how they used to work, as there have been many little tweaks to help us Enchanters when it comes to breaking our mez. I am only going to talk about how it works now.

First off let me say for those who don't know, MEZ has a HUGE aggro modifier. If a mob is Mezzed and then not broken by either A) mind wipe working applied first or B) by a Tank that knows how to break Mez then you are going to have a mob beating the crap out of the Enchanter.

What on earth could make this worse? A rampage pet that has a hatelist built up. Let me explain.

You're in a group, and a puller pulls 4 mobs. While the Enchanter locks down the 3 mobs (minus the 4th that the tank should now have aggro on) a lot of things can happen. Lets say for instance you assist and send the pet to beat on the one mob that the tank currently is on. While that pet is killing that mob, the other 3 mobs can do things to aggro that pet (even though the pet is still beating on the mob it was told to). A mob can cast an AE, it can heal, it can buff, it can actually physically hit the pet (or its owner) (all the while the pet is still being good and beating on the origional mob it was told to).

Now all is so far good, the Enchanter now has the 3 mobs on ice, and the 1st mob might be almost dead at this point. Here is where the Enchanters nightmare starts. Once that 1st mob dies, the pet that remembering all of the things that has happened during that time will now check its own hatelist. It then will go after which mob it wants to next on its own, and without any intervention from its owner, it will break mez. What makes things worse is if the tank breaks a different mob than the pet thinks should be next. So now you have 1 mob that the tank is on, and one mob that is beating the crap out of your enchanter, even if you mez this mob, the pet will keep breaking mez. (In a perfect senario, the mob would stop attacking after the mez, but this isn't always the case).

So this is how a Pet class should control his or her own pet.

After everything has been locked down (on ice, mezzed whatever), the owner of a pet should do the /pet back off command, and just reissue the /assist /pet attack command. When you do the pet back off, it wipes the hatelist from the pet so it will not break mez.

The reason for this post is because I am sick of being made out to be the "jerk" for telling someone how to control their pet. Even the ones that say they have 10 years of expierence playing their pet class. (And then afterwards complain in their guild chat about me for an hour)

Sorry for the Novel,

Discuss.

-Vexden

*edit* Thinking about this, it went from informational to a Rant, move to the section if needed.
Last edited by Vexden; 06-22-2010 at 03:06 PM..
Old 06-22-2010, 02:38 PM
Fire Giant

/move to R&F

Its obviously a rant post, wrong section!
Old 06-22-2010, 02:39 PM
Scrawny Gnoll

Exactly right

Alternatively, as the mob is about to die (10%~), spam backoff to reset the pet's state before the warrior breaks the next mob.

Must be harsh on enchanters with the abundance of pet classes now that people know they solo so well, lol
Old 06-22-2010, 02:50 PM
Kobold

I agree wholeheartedly with the OP, and disagree that spamming anything is necessary. I can't tell you how many times I'm seeing people do /back off not 3x or 4x but 30x. It is not necessary and annoys the hell out of not just the group but people around the group.
Old 06-22-2010, 02:56 PM
Orc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexden [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
When I say pets, I am meaning any controllable pet, (unlike the Enchanter Pet)

Necro Pets
Mage Pets
Shaman Pets
Charmed Pets

I am wondering how many people actually know how to control their pet.

In the beginning, lower levels, this doesn't matter and I am wondering if this is why so many people I group with fight with me about this topic.

Being an Enchanter for many levels, many servers, I have had hit or miss on pug groups and people controlling their pets. I am not going to worry about how they used to work, as there have been many little tweaks to help us Enchanters when it comes to breaking our mez. I am only going to talk about how it works now.

First off let me say for those who don't know, MEZ has a HUGE aggro modifier. If a mob is Mezzed and then not broken by either A) mind wipe working applied first or B) by a Tank that knows how to break Mez then you are going to have a mob beating the crap out of the Enchanter.

What on earth could make this worse? A rampage pet that has a hatelist built up. Let me explain.

You're in a group, and a puller pulls 4 mobs. While the Enchanter locks down the 3 mobs (minus the 4th that the tank should now have aggro on) a lot of things can happen. Lets say for instance you assist and send the pet to beat on the one mob that the tank currently is on. While that pet is killing that mob, the other 3 mobs can do things to aggro that pet (even though the pet is still beating on the mob it was told to). A mob can cast an AE, it can heal, it can buff, it can actually physically hit the pet (or its owner) (all the while the pet is still being good and beating on the origional mob it was told to).

Now all is so far good, the Enchanter now has the 3 mobs on ice, and the 4th mob might be almost dead at this point. Here is where the Enchanters nightmare starts. Once that 1st mob dies, the pet that remembering all of the things that has happened during the time will now check its own hatelist. It then will go after which mob it wants to next on its own, and without any intervention from its owner, it will break mez. What makes things worse is if the tank breaks a different mob than the pet thinks should be next. So now you have 1 mob that the tank is on, and one mob that is beating the crap out of your enchanter, even if you mez this mob, the pet will keep breaking mez. (In a perfect senario, the mob would stop attacking after the mez, but this isn't always the case).

So this is how a Pet class should control his or her own pet.

After everything has been locked down (on ice, mezzed whatever), the owner of a pet should do the /pet back off command, and just reissue the /assist /pet attack command. When you do the pet back off, it wipes the hatelist from the pet so it will not break mez.

The reason for this post is because I am sick of being made out to be the "jerk" for telling someone how to control their pet. Even the ones that say they have 10 years of expierence playing their pet class. (And then afterwards complain in their guild chat about me for an hour)

Sorry for the Novel,

Discuss.

-Vexden

*edit* Thinking about this, it went from informational to a Rant, move to the section if needed.
+1

This is great info for newbie pet classes, don't move it please.
Old 06-22-2010, 02:59 PM
Fire Giant

Agree 100%. I'm playing an enchanter alt. If someone gets uppity and decides that he doesn't want to listen to my lecturing, I leave the group. Find someone else to CC for your shitty group, or better yet learn to control your fucking retarded pet so I don't have to lecture you in the first place.

I like grouping with pet classes. They add a ton of DPS and even some utility to a group. The problem is, I think a lot of the people who are attracted to pet classes are not inclined to work well with others. Sorry guys, but when shit hits the fan the CC and the tank run the show. You're going to have to step into their rhythm, not the other way around. If they tell you that you're doing something wrong, you need to accomodate them.
Old 06-22-2010, 03:00 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by frefaln [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I agree wholeheartedly with the OP, and disagree that spamming anything is necessary. I can't tell you how many times I'm seeing people do /back off not 3x or 4x but 30x. It is not necessary and annoys the hell out of not just the group but people around the group.
How then will Jabartik know how badly I desire he stop attacking. Unless he sees me request that he calm down a minimum dozen times he'll think I'm joking. Pet AI is extremely advanced.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZenjitsuRZ View Post
Multiplication is used at all levels.
Old 06-22-2010, 03:10 PM
Aviak

Quote:
Originally Posted by pickled_heretic [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Agree 100%. I'm playing an enchanter alt. If someone gets uppity and decides that he doesn't want to listen to my lecturing, I leave the group. Find someone else to CC for your shitty group, or better yet learn to control your fucking retarded pet so I don't have to lecture you in the first place.

I like grouping with pet classes. They add a ton of DPS and even some utility to a group. The problem is, I think a lot of the people who are attracted to pet classes are not inclined to work well with others. Sorry guys, but when shit hits the fan the CC and the tank run the show. You're going to have to step into their rhythm, not the other way around. If they tell you that you're doing something wrong, you need to accomodate them.
From what I found, most people that are spamming the pet back off, are ones that are trying to pull a mob a long ways and the pet is trying to taunt / attack the mob during the pull. (or Jibartik is just stupid) [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Old 06-22-2010, 04:17 PM
Fire Giant

i am a pet class
i also can do long pulls with my pet up

Sorry master, calming down...x50 is not needed and drives me freaking crazy!

in most cases you only need it ONCE,, ONCE PEOPLE ONCE OMG OMJ OM HOLY TRINITY!
if your pulling, you may need it 3 times or so, but not constant spam.

Also people need to learn to /pet get lost sooner. Your pet gets lost? see him walking into a wall? kill that mofo before he gets us all killed with a crazy train!
Old 06-22-2010, 04:37 PM
Aviak

I usualy try and have Invis up for just an occasion as such. You ask the pet class "hey where is your pet?" they say "I don't know" just cast invis on them and wait for the train.