Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Server Issues > Resolved Issues

Closed Thread

Old 03-17-2014, 11:49 AM
Planar Protector

Default Bracer of Hammerfall - Sentry Kale and Ungdin Issues

Sentry Kale - Bracer of Hammerfall

Issue 1: Ungdin did not return the <A shipment of Velium Ore> after being given the <Velium Delivery Note> and, separately, 50pp.

Issue 2: Sentry Kale does not give the quest dialogue when prompted at dubious faction, or dubious + alliance faction.

Kindadar and I were trying this quest out. I'm at Dorf amiable and CoV dubious, with and without the alliance necklace. Kindadar is max ally with cov/dorfs.

Issue 1: Ungdin appears to be broken. Kindadar turned in the Note first. Received the proper text from Ungdin asking for a bribe of 50pp. Kindadar then turned in 50pp and received nothing. He tried another 50pp and still nothing.

Issue 2:

Sentry Kale would not speak to me at dubious faction:

[Mon Mar 17 10:02:37 2014] You say, 'Hail, Sentry Kale'
[Mon Mar 17 10:02:37 2014] Sentry Kale says, 'You must prove your worth before I will discuss such matters with you.'
[Mon Mar 17 10:03:12 2014] You begin casting Alliance.
[Mon Mar 17 10:03:12 2014] Sentry Kale looks friendly.
[Mon Mar 17 10:03:14 2014] Sentry Kale glowers at you dubiously -- You could probably win this fight.
[Mon Mar 17 10:03:17 2014] Sentry Kale says, 'You must prove your worth before I will discuss such matters with you.'

Edit: Sentry Kale would not speak to me at indifferent (via charm) faction either.

There is evidence that during 2000/2001 people could do this quest while dubious and that they could get the proper quest dialogue while sneaking for indifferent faction. The February 23, 2014 patch disables the sneaking ability for this quest as the NPC will not respond to /say while sneaking.

Nov. 2001
Quote:
I had my druid wife do it at dubious and in this same spawn of kale she also received the bracer(first throwing thing she had and went to town on the giants hehehe)
Quote:
I've done this quest three times so far, once at dubious faction, once at indifferent faction, and once at amiable faction. All three times I turned the box in to Kale after checking to see if it was the right version of him (i.e. making sure he would still give me the velium shipment quest) and all three times I got nothing but coin and faction. Am I doing something wrong? Someone please help, I'm insanely poor for my level and I can't afford many more payments to the dwarf in the mines...
January 1, 2001
Quote:
I completed this quest today. I actually started doing it yesterday but since I was by myself I had a heck of a time killing Sentry Kale so that the correct replacement would spawn.

I recommend bringing friends and if they don't want the faction hit, have them zone before he's dead.

If you try to fear this guy he will run to WL zone and will go beyond the zone point so you cannot hit him.

The faction hit was not bit, I started dubious and finished dubious, I killed him about 5 times.

I was able to attack him even in the room that he spawns and did not get any adds.

Oh and btw, I did get mine on the first run.

It's not a bad quest, but make sure you have enough fire power to kill him just in case. Having a lvl 44+ druid available is ideal so they can TP you back and forth between CS and GD.

August 2001
Quote:
OK, here is how it went for me:

1. Faction. LOTS AND LOTS OF DRAKKEL WOLVES IN GD! I am not talking like 40-50...more like 150. All this to make up for my faction hits killing in icewell. CoV faction up to dubious in SS finally.
2. Waiting for the right Kale to pop. There are three versions, dont know if they are killed and whatnot but I eventally got the right one. I am at the very lowest of dubious and still got the quest. The key phrase is "what task?"
3. Quick TP to GD, run to thurgadin. When you jump over snowdrift into the mines, go straight and make first right. You will find a little pit with the dorf in it. Hail and do exchange visible, very important. Dont forget 50pp.
4. TP back to SS and run to kale, was still the same kale for me. I had SLOT 1 open and gave him box. Got bracers and faction in return.

TIME: less than 30 minutes
ATTEMPTS: Got em 1st try
CLASS: Druid
LEVEL: 53
SS faction: dubious (like 1 point above KOS) Merchants wont sell to me.
Thurg faction: Kindly

July 2001
Quote:
I got my bracer yesterday, 7/13/01. Noteworthy details:

My faction with Skyshrine (CoV) was dubious.
When I first talked to Kale, he gave me the quest.
When I came back, Kale was dead. When the repop appeared, it was a different version of Kale who would not talk to me at dubious.
I gave him the box, and still got the reward.
[You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
April 2001
Quote:
i bound myself in the kitchen and did this quest over and over, went from dubious to indifferent and spent around 1300pp doing it. Unfortunately i discovered a bug, not sure if it's linked to this quest.

I dropped off the note to the miner in thurg, gated back to the kitchen and was instantly kos..i should say PERMANENTLY kos..ALL of my faction throughout norrath had been reset to the very beginning of my level 58 druid. One other person in the zone mentioned getting the same bug and the GM's will NOT help you, they say faction is taboo and can't be touched.
Quote:
I just got mine on first try while still dubious to cov and dwarfs. Just say "i am willing" to sentry Kale for the note for Ungdin. I even bound myself next to Ungdin as I expected to have to do the quest a few times to get the bracer. So on my first try I guess I was lucky. They look like undyed plate on my elf druid so its not bad just for the new look.
Quote:
Ok, I did this with coning Dubiously and got Bracer first time.
March 2001
Quote:
I am still dubious after doing the quest twice. Given the cost of doing this quest I will be going back to killing giants in EW and Kael to raise my faction now that I have my bracer. I get some loot from that as well as solid XP and it doesn't cost me anything but time.
Evidence of Sneak questing working for this:

November 2001
Quote:
monk and ranger can both do kos with sneak and hide / FD invis , but i dont see why a ranger would want to throw
February 2001
Quote:
still have not gotten it yet after 3 tries but my druid friend who ported me around and did the quest with me got it on his third. If he insults you and doesnt give the quest, any ranger/bard/rogue/monk can sneak behind him and con indiff to attain the quest. Good luck and thanks for listen to me ramble [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Quote:
Monks can do this quest with skyshrine mobs "ready to attack":

I was able to feign behind Kale, sneak, and hail him and he gave the quest text and then attacked. I feigned.

Doing the same thing with the key phrase for the velium shipment quest, he gave me the no-drop note and quest then attacked. I feigned again.

After returning to Kale with my box of Velium from the dorf, I feigned behind him, hit sneak, and tried giving him the box but he attacked as other nearby guards aggroed. So I feigned again, put the box on my cursor ready to hand in, and switched to 3rd person to see him better as I stood this time. I quickly handed in the box and hit accept and got hammerfal bracer, coin, and experience!

It's tricky but with feign death and sneak you can do the quest...

Write up of quest for reference:

http://everquest.allakhazam.com/db/quest.html?quest=969

Quote:
This quest begins with Sentry Kale at location 830, -435, 43, in Skyshrine.

You say, 'Hail, Sentry Kale'

Sentry Kale says 'Another Halfling, in the great shrine? Perhaps the times have gotten worse than we had expected -- I wonder if I will need to reactivate my [sentinel] for further use in my stead.'

You say, 'What sentinel?'

Sentry Kale says 'It was not too long ago that I was merely a chunk of walking velium in the eyes of most who traveled through the shrine. However that golem was in fact one of my sentinels used to keep my identity secluded, and took on the tasks that I gave it. However, there has been a problem recently with our supplies, and I have had to take it offline until further notice.'

You say, 'What problem?'

Sentry Kale says 'As you may have noticed, there are a great deal of golems and gargoyles within the shrine that consist of velium. These are our guards and they serve us well, however with extended use of these creatures comes extensive repair needed. It is because of this necessity to keep our sentries and lookouts working well that we require a great deal of velium ore stocked and ready for use. Unfortunately, our supplies have been running thin and we are in need of a new shipment of ore.'

You say, 'I will deliver the supplies.'

Sentry Kale says 'I may have been wrong in my initial thoughts about your race, Halfling. You may just prove to be worth my time. Take this note now and find Ungdin. Please hurry and remember to keep this information to yourself.'

Sentry Kale will hand you a Velium Delivery Note, which you are to take to a Coldain dwarf named Ungdin in Thurgadin.

He is located at 150, -23, -6.25. (Go into the mines and take the center tunnel. Continue in that tunnel until you come to the next fork of three tunnels. Take the one on your right. He is at the end of that tunnel. There's a table and bench in the room with him.)

Ungdin says 'Hmmm, not sure why you're giving me all this. <cough> 50 pieces <cough> of platinum <cough> Whew, wow, I may be coming down with <cough> and the note <cough> something.'

Give him 50 pp.

Ungdin's eyes dart about the room before retrieving a large box from under the table. He takes the platinum and the note, then hands you the box without a word.

You will have "A shipment of Velium Ore" in your inventory. Take that back to Sentry Kale in Skyshrine and he will say the following:

Sentry Kale says 'You've returned, and with the shipment of ore intact! It was wise to send you out on that mission, ______, and I'm glad you did not fail. If you're looking for more assignments to do, I may have something that is just right for you. If you're interested in it, just let me know and we'll talk.'

Your faction standing with Claws of Veeshan got better.
Your faction standing with Yelinak got better.
Your faction standing with Kromzek got worse.
You gain experience!!
You receive 7 copper from Sentry Kale.
You receive 6 silver from Sentry Kale.
You receive 10 gold from Sentry Kale.
You receive 4 platinum from Sentry Kale.

Platinum reward will vary. You may not get the Bracer of Hammerfal each time, but he will finally give you one.
Last edited by Ele; 03-19-2014 at 10:00 AM..
Old 03-18-2014, 11:23 AM
Project Manager

k, so there needs to be 3 different Sentry Kale spawns? From what I can tell, he has a chance of spawning with either the quest for choker, bracer, or ring.

If this sounds correct, I'll proceed with it that way.
Old 03-18-2014, 11:47 AM
Planar Protector

That is correct. I wasn't able to test if he was implemented as the 3 different quest giving versions due to faction issues atm.

But he should spawn randomly giving one of his three quests at anyone time. You can however complete any of his quests with any of the three versions. If he isn't giving the proper quest you want to start, then you have to kill him or have someone kill him for you.

Sentry Emil should be the same way with his broken and working quests.

1. Bosenberry Pie -- Forever broken - http://boards.station.sony.com/ubb/e...ML/000358.html
2. Emil's Report -- https://web.archive.org/web/20010420...tml?quest=1203

There are anecdotes in the link for Emil's Report with people saying Emil was asking for pie, but accepted their turn in for the Report quest.
Last edited by Ele; 03-18-2014 at 11:51 AM..
Old 03-18-2014, 02:32 PM
Fire Giant

Do the separate spawns have different models? As of yesterday he was in the brewery room in golem form, but he is in drake form on the wiki (I am aware of the issues of using that as a reference point). I have also never seen him up in the location specified on the wiki, I just hit a wall and saw him in that room.
Old 03-18-2014, 03:13 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by evilkorn [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Do the separate spawns have different models? As of yesterday he was in the brewery room in golem form, but he is in drake form on the wiki (I am aware of the issues of using that as a reference point). I have also never seen him up in the location specified on the wiki, I just hit a wall and saw him in that room.
That is revamp SS. They changed a bunch of the quest mobs' names and models. He is a crystal golem in all 3 versions.
Old 03-19-2014, 02:17 AM
Fire Giant

I did this quest on eqmac extensively. It only like 4k to 5k pp to go from dubious to ally. Each turn in of Velium shipment was +25 Cov faction.

1. you should be able to do this at dubious faction it was locked this faction requirement on on eqmac. This quest was nerfed some time into veliuos on live ( i do not have data on the nerf application) to require warmly faction to even get the sentry to talk to you.

2. With the amount of platinum and resources players have amassed here in p1999, it is child's play to max out COV and Yelniak faction through this quest. for any class.

3. 1 rezer next to sentry kale make corpse , porter to get faction req class to great divide . rezer next to ungdin give note get velium shipment rez in skyshrine boom turn in shipment get new note rez body next to ungind turn in. so on and so on.

4. I did this with 4 characters( not all same time) total time from dubiuos to ally just under 3hrs rez timers.

On eqmac Sentry kale was on 20min timer so if wrong version of him was up just killed him and then waited and kept trying to correct version was up.

PS on eqmac it did not matter how you got to dubious faction or better invis /sneak etc etc it still worked for turn ins. the bracer could be rare but if you was going to grind out the quest for 3hrs you could 4 to 10 of them. was what i averaged on my 4 toons.

-------------------------------------------------------------
Nilbog:

" I'll keep making classic changes when I can, regardless if people threaten to quit. I'm here to recreate classic eq; not to make people happy."
Last edited by Buellen; 03-19-2014 at 02:32 AM..
Old 03-19-2014, 02:35 AM
Fire Giant

on further though a simpler solution to stop the quick grind to ally with cov would be to have sentry kale despawn when velium shipment is turned.

just my thoughts

Nilbog:

" I'll keep making classic changes when I can, regardless if people threaten to quit. I'm here to recreate classic eq; not to make people happy."
Old 03-19-2014, 03:28 AM
Fire Giant

found information on faction changed on live to warmly to do this quest

http://everquest.allakhazam.com/db/quest.html?quest=969

Dec 18 2002 aerowen posted about revamp of sky shrine and mentioned faction changes. The posts following this one talk about the new faction requirement to this quest.

I understand that these dates are past our current time line. Leaving a requirement of dubious will result in COV ally faction just costing the players 4k to 5k plat and some willing clerics/rezers for a few hours.

Thanks for listening

Nilbog:

Last edited by Buellen; 03-19-2014 at 03:32 AM..
Old 03-25-2014, 05:13 PM
Planar Protector

Another source http://www.castle-grounds.co.uk/eq/hammerfalquest.htm Version 120701

Also indicates that quest should be able to be initiated at indifferent faction via sneak. The current implementation of NPC's not speaking to people they can't see prevents this feature of sneak questing.

Quote:
The quest originates in the zone of Skyshrine, with a NPC called Sentry Kale. As with all of Skyshrine, he is on Claws of Veeshan faction, but even if KOS, a Monk can iniate this quest by the use of Sneak and Feign Death.

If you run straight at him, and feign as you run into the wall, (as shown) when you stand you will be right behind him. If your faction is bad, as soon as he turns after the iniatal hail, he will attack, so you need to hail him, feign, sneak, stand up, type the text, then feign again.

Sentry Kale is Blue to me at 46th, and can cast spells. He also is in a room with others, who will attack as well, but I was not in any danger at all. It is best to type the phrase 'I am willing while feigned, then spam it (shift and up) immediatly after standing up while sneaking.
Old 04-21-2014, 09:12 PM
Sarnak

Been trying to confirm the velium retrieval quest and I can't find him up, been sitting at his spawn for about an hour now and nothing.
<Divinity>
Closed Thread