Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Blue Community > Blue Server Chat

Closed Thread

Old 08-22-2010, 02:04 AM
Kobold

Default Group vs. Solo

I browse through the forums and I see a huge non-classic trend, it's bizarre.

Everyone is concerned about picking the best solo class, about soloing to max level and then twinking and PLing out a group-oriented class. You can't go into a zone without tripping over a mage or druid.

Why this focus on solo play? This server has a good population, with lots of friendly people. Everquest's focus has always been about group interaction. Working together to camp current content.

The live server never had as many people exploiting solo classes to this extent.

Do the Devs have any intention of looking into the non-classic solo exp rates far exceeding group exp?

I remember none of these from Classic EQ. Solo play has always been a viable option, but it was never such a clear-cut advantage to grouping.
Old 08-22-2010, 02:24 AM
Aviak

I love having a great community as much as they next guy but from my experience grouping has sucked thus far. I wanted to do a druid to group an heal with not solo but lower levels as a fresh start on the server grouping is non existent at least so far for me, and soloing is so dreadfully long i created a mage an it has leveled WAY faster. Just so I can get some gear for my other toons.

I might start a tank but only wanted a warrior but with a disadvantage as I hear from everyone else there is no point atm =-( These are all my experiences though so, many may differ from mine. It could be play times or just terrible luck I have no idea.
Old 08-22-2010, 02:27 AM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by yaeger [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I remember none of these from Classic EQ. Solo play has always been a viable option, but it was never such a clear-cut advantage to grouping.
To be honest Mages are completely OP still. Their pets tank as well as an equal level and level appropriate geared tank except they can use fire pet and get a huge DS so it's the equivalent of being able to whip out a tank alt at any moment that has chloroplast and high level mage DS. Their DPS is classic but pets are supposed to get the shit kicked out of them more. A fire pet shouldn't be able to tank yellow/red cons without even getting a single heal. In classic you'd have to practically chain mage heals on fire pet if it was fighting a red not go AFK to get a drink while it solos.

If more groups were smart enough to use mage fire pet as tank using root proximity aggro to force it to tank this issue would get fixed when everyone realizes how OP it is. A mage in a group who doesn't do this is working at about 1/2 their solo ability.

Other than that everything appears to be going pretty much how classic did. Soloing as a solo class was ALWAYS better exp than grouping. Also, the emphasis on "soloing" you're describing is more just people asking questions on forum. Who is going to post a question asking which class can group the best? Actually, you do see these threads asking which class is needed at 50, etc.

There are tons of groups in game.
Old 08-22-2010, 02:28 AM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by XeldiablosX [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I love having a great community as much as they next guy but from my experience grouping has sucked thus far. I wanted to do a druid to group an heal with not solo but lower levels as a fresh start on the server grouping is non existent at least so far for me, and soloing is so dreadfully long i created a mage an it has leveled WAY faster. Just so I can get some gear for my other toons.

I might start a tank but only wanted a warrior but with a disadvantage as I hear from everyone else there is no point atm =-( These are all my experiences though so, many may differ from mine. It could be play times or just terrible luck I have no idea.
Low levels group in EC from 5-10, dervs from 10-14 or so, crushbone always has groups 24 hours a day for 5-14 or so. After that unrest is the hotspot until 20-25. Then you can do upper guk, MM, sol A, etc eventually getting to Sol B/LGuk. These zones basically ALWAYS have groups so I have no idea what you're talking about.

Have to remember this server doesn't have as many players as a classic server did. You aren't going to get groups in perma, runnyeye, kerra ridge, etc except on rare occasions. Be more active in putting groups together as well. I don't think I've ever wanted a group and not been able to find one or put one together by sending tells to people.. ESPECIALLY as a Druid because you can port people to the camp starting at 29.
Last edited by azxten; 08-22-2010 at 02:35 AM..
Old 08-22-2010, 02:29 AM
Planar Protector

I joined and started on this serve with the idea of strictly soloin thru, gettin 50 and so on like you stated.... I completely switched that after lvl 10 when I found out how slow exp was and was pretty bored sittin there for a couple hours talkin to no one( no global ooc). I now strictly atleast group with one person mostly a full group. Thing is alot of people on this server are friendly and grouped up my exp is slightly less then if i was soloing( I play a necro). I think alot of people want the solo route cause they know no one here and once they start to play meeting people is as easy as being anti- social and not.

And for no groups is crazy... The second i log on i usually get tells if i want in on groups ( lvl 20) and goin to guk all u here is ... Group lf dps, tank and so on.
Last edited by Infectious; 08-22-2010 at 02:32 AM..
Old 08-22-2010, 02:29 AM
Aviak

The issue is that solo xp is better than group xp by a far and away margin. We've had several threads about it in the past but because verant hid actual xp numbers and calculations its hard to find real documentation to prove that group xp should be better than solo xp so nothing get changed.

I think its outright bullshit myself. People should be given incentives FOR grouping, not against it. If I wanted to play EQ solo, I'd play EZ server.
Old 08-22-2010, 02:36 AM
Aviak

Quote:
Originally Posted by azxten [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

Other than that everything appears to be going pretty much how classic did. Soloing as a solo class was ALWAYS better exp than grouping. Also, the emphasis on "soloing" you're describing is more just people asking questions on forum. Who is going to post a question asking which class can group the best? Actually, you do see these threads asking which class is needed at 50, etc.

There are tons of groups in game.
Totally agree with you about mage pets. This server is working with 2005 mage pets, not 1999 mage pets.

However, solo exp was only better than group exp on a per kill basis. A GOOD group should be able to at the VERY MINIMUM keep pace with a solo class, and then pass the solo player due to their down time. The downtime can be anything from getting mana to waiting on mobs to spawn. The only real exception to this rule seemed to be necro's due to their dark pact spell line.

Honestly, a warrior/2x rogue/ench/cleric/wiz group should never be out paced in exp by a solo mage.
Old 08-22-2010, 02:38 AM
Scrawny Gnoll

I get lotsa groups ... sometimes its a bad experience ... but most of the time its great ... sometimes it takes a while to find a group ... but pretty much all my xp since level 5 has been in groups... my friends list is getting pretty decent sized too so that helps... plus i dont really care what classes i group with the xp penalties dont bother me really ... raiding isnt my favorite part of the game and the journey is alot more fun than the destination imho... plus even if i could xp faster solo ... its alot more entertaining in a group ... usually...
Old 08-22-2010, 02:47 AM
Sarnak

Mage solo xp is insane but it would be kind of lame to nerf it at this point IMO.
Old 08-22-2010, 02:48 AM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Troy [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Mage solo xp is insane but it would be kind of lame to nerf it at this point IMO.
Why? It's not classic.

Did you know that just a few weeks ago Ogre Warriors were like the fastest race/class combo in the game? Should it have been left like that since others got that advantage? There's tons of examples like that. If they never get fixed the server will never really be classic.
Closed Thread