Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Starting Zone

Closed Thread

Old 07-30-2014, 02:01 PM
Sarnak

Default Hello All, New Character

I've played EQ on and off (mostly off) since the original came out, most recently on the mac server before they closed that. It seems when summertime comes around I get nostalgic to play and as such I find myself here.

My old favorite character was an iksar necro which I think I'd probably like to play again but I'm also considering a cleric. My main concern with the cleric is groups.

My understanding is that most level ranges are pretty active, but are groups focused in only a couple specific zones? I.e. do you just park a character in HHK for 15 lvls looking for PuGs?

I'm also curious about the economy as I used to enjoy buying and selling quite a bit. How does one get started with cash? Are raw materials (such as spider silk) worth anything in the old world?

How available is newbie gear? Lets say I decided to roll melee instead of a caster. Am I resigned to wearing crap for 50+ levels?

Just how painful is it to get around? Are there many dru/wiz porting services?

I appreciate any feedback. I look forward to playing the game!
Old 07-30-2014, 02:06 PM
Banned

welcome to the community pal! Be sure to try the red server
Old 07-30-2014, 02:15 PM
Aviak

Good way to make cash early on, are HQ bear skins - they go for 30pp each and there are usually some tailors looking to buy them. As for gear, there's tons of cheap but good gear on the market, since the server has had a lot of time to farm. And it's easy to get around, since the server has it's own porting services cartel, who will cater to your transportation needs, as long as you're willing to turn a blind eye to some corpses here and there.
Old 07-30-2014, 02:27 PM
Banned

once you hit like 16 id go farm bronze weapons from sisters in lfay
Old 07-30-2014, 03:08 PM
Kobold

Bone Chips: 5-10pp/stack
Spiderling Silks: 20pp/stack
HQ Bear Skins: 30pp each
Orc belts (deathfist/crushbone): 2(?)pp each? (not sure)
Orc Scalps (EC/HPH) 5-10pp each

If you level tailoring a bit (31 I think): Leather Padding 100-150pp/stack

Should get ya started, EC tunnel is trading depot here, GL. [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

Edit: Spider Silk not really worth much here, Wu's Armor removed from game.
Old 07-30-2014, 04:52 PM
Fire Giant

Ajdes,

This server is full of players at any level range, population will not be a problem for you if you want to play a cleric, Just know that certain zones are favoured comapared to others.

Porting services are available throughout the game and you'll find the community quite warming. Lots of help to be had. There is also a guild in game called "dial a port" which offers porting services.

Play what you want regardless of gear or xp penalty. You will always find help on this server in some form weather it be help with a corpse run or just trying to find a lower lvl weapon for your new warrior you make.

Welcome back
Old 07-30-2014, 06:36 PM
Kobold

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajdes [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
My old favorite character was an iksar necro which I think I'd probably like to play again but I'm also considering a cleric. My main concern with the cleric is groups.

My understanding is that most level ranges are pretty active, but are groups focused in only a couple specific zones? I.e. do you just park a character in HHK for 15 lvls looking for PuGs?
Clerics can solo off undead is my understanding so groups aren't always a problem. You can probably find groups pretty easily just going to EC or something. For low levels I know a lot of people were congregating in CB, peak hours you'd have a full group on most camps and I think the pop was lower then. Maybe start there, make friends and see where the people go.

Quote:
Originally Posted by talian21 [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Orc belts (deathfist/crushbone): 2(?)pp each? (not sure)
People were always buying the belts/sps in Gfay so you may not have to hike all the way to EC/BBM to offload those. Something to consider.

Server pop is over 1k so it's not like every single zone is packed but you really shouldn't have any problem finding people to level with.
Last edited by Lopretni; 08-04-2014 at 05:23 PM..
Old 07-30-2014, 09:16 PM
Sarnak

Thanks for the advice. Now I just need to work on locating a copy of the game (legally).

Aside from PAL/RNG, is there an over or under abundance of any classes?

I also liked playing a SHM but it seems like they would be less awesome without the later mana buffs going around all the time.
Old 07-30-2014, 09:34 PM
Kobold

(I wouldn't worry about it too much, there aren't resources for any inquisitions but don't go flying your jolly roger proud if you have to go that route. Amazon or ebay has the discs but I think some asshole bought up all the discs and is selling them for some ridiculous sum or something, so good luck with that.)

AFAIK monks are always in high supply but I heard guilds are looking for wizards but playing a wizard sucks. Server pop is good enough you're good to play whatever you want really. I hear Shamans are really great, you can do whatever the fuck you want.
Old 07-31-2014, 04:43 AM
Kobold

The server is overcrowded with shamans. It is not a problem while leveling up, because they work well solo or in groups and the class is pretty awesome.
Mana is never a problem either later on.

However, when you reach 55+, you will have to spend unbelievable amounts of plat to get your spells. Even if you manage to get a group farming spells, don't expect NBG, people will roll for your spells to sell them.

It is still doable to get those spells, but be prepared to farm for a while.
Closed Thread