Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Blue Community > Blue Server Chat

Closed Thread

Old 08-12-2014, 01:57 AM
Large Bat

Default Bard swarming ruins classic experience.

I'll preface by saying - I played a bard from Luclin thru GoD and loved the class. Now, I feel they're ruining quite a few zones. Have you tried exping in LOIO or OT? Or any other open outdoor zone without a faction hit?

This was totally not part of classic. No one had a computer or internet connection stable enough to pull such huge chunks of zones, over 30 mobs per pull. This didn't start until PoP, in PoN/PoD and HoH.

Is this something that is going to be address in Velious? I can't see investing more time in this game only to have giant tracts of zones totally overrun by bards - thinking about all the outdoor Velious zones I can see it being a total joke.

I imagine the coding would be complicated, but it seems like, if more than 6 or 8 mobs are on a player for more than N number of minutes, reset those mobs and ignore all aggro / damage from that player (or any player until it reaches its spawn point).

This swarm kiting was not the classic experience and it sucks.

I love p99 and have been having lots of fun but I'm disappointed to see a lot of the zones I used to level in being essentially wastelands while a few players dominate the entire zone. It seems to violate the 'play nice' policy and the spirit of p99, the classic experience.

If there is no plans to address this in Velious I'd love to know, so I can cut the cord before I invest more time..
Old 08-12-2014, 02:17 AM
Aviak

PNP 8.0

Quote:
Zone/Area Disruption is defined as any activity designed to harm or inconvenience a number of groups rather than a specific player or group of players. This includes, but is not limited to::

-Monopolizing most or all of the kills in an area
Seems to be a straight forward violation of p1999 PnP?
Old 08-12-2014, 02:19 AM
Banned

For all that is holy OP do not ever, and I mean EVER go to Chardok.
Old 08-12-2014, 02:20 AM
Kobold

It's not classic, but I haven't seen it be the issue you make it out to be. For example I XPed in OT Sunday evening, US time. Yes there were a few bards out there, but there were plenty of mobs left. I've XPed in LOIO as well (sarnak fort) quite a few times on my druid too.

To be honest if they wanted to fix it, there's a simpler way than resetting mobs like that. Considering bards have to keep mobs in a very narrow distance range to AoE them but not get hit, all they would have to do is add a slight jitter in the mob speed/position calculation causing damage to either be missed (mob too far) or the bard to get hit (mob too close). This would have very little effect on regular pulling / kiting since other classes use spells/bows with a much longer range.
Old 08-12-2014, 02:37 AM
Banned

go get your shine box
Old 08-12-2014, 02:43 AM
Planar Protector

Bard mass kiting is classic :P I was doing it after Velious released :P
Old 08-12-2014, 02:59 AM
Planar Protector

Bard AE kiting is actually the most classic thing ever.

Swarm kiting on the other hand, does that exist here yet? I recall the aggro being off on it.
Old 08-12-2014, 03:20 AM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by rxfh [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

If there is no plans to address this in Velious I'd love to know, so I can cut the cord before I invest more time..
Pretty dumb reason to quit this game, especially when Velious comes out and tons and tons of non-AE kiting content is opened up, including ToFS which can carry you from like 15 to 40 or some ludicrous amount of levels like that. You're essentially saying "let me know if you're not going to fix this problem, so that I can leave before this problem fixes itself." And if you think outdoor zones are going to be full of AE kiters, think about some of the mobs that are present in those outdoor zones- giants, wurms, shit with huge hitboxes. And also think about the size of those zones and how impractical it's going to be to try and run through the whole zone grabbing shit up.

Before you ask, I have from the day I learned how to AE kite strongly felt that bards who pull the entire zone are total assholes. So I strongly agree with you that it shouldn't happen. But come on.

Every song I play is actually just me screaming the 1812 Overture in a raspy, shrieking falsetto.
Last edited by Kekephee; 08-12-2014 at 03:24 AM..
Old 08-12-2014, 03:52 AM
Fire Giant

Easy solution, change zones, evolve. http://wiki.project1999.com/Zones

I mean really, if you enjoy the game, enjoy the game, and being able to aggro a whole zone is part of Everquest, if you are trying to change it, better change game.

GMs would aggro a full zones on betas to test if they would support its lag before making it live, kiteable or not.

Meaning just because you feel it affects you and your circle in a negative way, does not mean its not part of the game.
Old 08-12-2014, 04:08 AM
Banned

easier solution, go home, get shine box.
Closed Thread