Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Class Discussions > Casters

Closed Thread

Old 08-30-2014, 05:04 PM
Large Rat

Cool Magician is basically useless unless grouped?

Let me start of by saying I did have a forum account already but I lost the password, anyway I'm a level 38 high elf magician and I'm finding it impossible to solo. I've pretty much been grouping in various places since around level 13-14 all the way until my current level so I thought I would give solo'ing a try.

I tried yetis in DL and I can almost get it to work except my pets get absolutely crushed by them even chaincasting pets takes forever but most of the time I end up dying and losing all the xp i've earned, I also tried spectres in The Ferrott but that does not work for me either I have to zone can't even get one down.

I have focus items and I am using the latest spells but my guy feels weak as hell, am I just bound to being in groups all the way till max level?
Old 08-30-2014, 07:00 PM
Fire Giant

Sounds like you're just targeting the wrong mobs. Mages are great soloers, peaking at level 49. You need to target low blue mobs that are equal or lower than your pets level. Your relative power is directly related to your spell level since that's the pet you're using. 38 will suck, 39 is great, 43 really sucks, 44 great. Often best to solo the first couple levels after a new pet, then group the last levels before new spells. Relax, sick Fluffy on some buggers, open a beer, and get some exp.

Also: I'm sure you know this but never nuke if you're chaining. You'll lose all the aggro of the old pet. Also work on that timing. If using fire pet during chaining if he doesn't cast DS right away, keep backing him off mob and he'll cast it eventually.
Last edited by Velerin; 08-30-2014 at 07:04 PM..
Old 08-30-2014, 07:02 PM
Aviak

[You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

No. The Magician can solo excellently. It's just you're probably doing chain-casting wrong. Dont expect any pet other than Earth pet to stand toe to toe, and even Earth pet will need some heals.

Chain-casting fire pets is efficient strategy. You gotta have some distance between the mob and yourself. Start casting your fire pet when your current fire pet gets low. If you're almost done with the current cast and your pet still isnt dead, I just dismiss it before my pet comes out. Pretty simple. Good luck!
Old 08-30-2014, 07:13 PM
Large Rat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Velerin [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Sounds like you're just targeting the wrong mobs. Mages are great soloers, peaking at level 49. You need to target low blue mobs that are equal or lower than your pets level. Your relative power is directly related to your spell level since that's the pet you're using. 38 will suck, 39 is great, 43 really sucks, 44 great. Often best to solo the first couple levels after a new pet, then group the last levels before new spells. Relax, sick Fluffy on some buggers, open a beer, and get some exp.

Also: I'm sure you know this but never nuke if you're chaining. You'll lose all the aggro of the old pet. Also work on that timing. If using fire pet during chaining if he doesn't cast DS right away, keep backing him off mob and he'll cast it eventually.
I can't find any mobs that don't immediately destroy my pet then kill me and making the last 2 hours of my time pointless because I just keep dying.

Quote:
No. The Magician can solo excellently. It's just you're probably doing chain-casting wrong. Dont expect any pet other than Earth pet to stand toe to toe, and even Earth pet will need some heals.

Chain-casting fire pets is efficient strategy. You gotta have some distance between the mob and yourself. Start casting your fire pet when your current fire pet gets low. If you're almost done with the current cast and your pet still isnt dead, I just dismiss it before my pet comes out. Pretty simple. Good luck!
Thats exactly what I do and yet the pet never keeps aggro and I die.
Old 08-30-2014, 09:31 PM
Planar Protector

It's pretty simple. You're level 38 and you're targeting mobs that should be hunted in the low to mid 40s. Go hunt lower-level mobs. Try drolvargs in Firiona Vie.
Need a port or a rez? Hit me up on IRC!
Old 08-31-2014, 09:41 AM
Large Rat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tecmos Deception [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Well. Instead of being all doom-and-gloomy in the face of advice from more experienced players, why not give us some details so we can try to help?

Are you nuking mobs at all or just using pets (and maybe healing)? Where are you fighting (and at what level) that you only find mobs that annihilate your pets? Etc.

No one is lying to you about how effective mages CAN be; you just need to ask some questions and/or give details so that people can give you specific advice to help you tune your methods.
My methods are usually just chaincasting pets at yetis but it burns a hell of a lot of malachite doing that to kill the mobs I was targeting, I don't really heal my pets it seems pointless since the heal spell itself is so weak.

Quote:
It's pretty simple. You're level 38 and you're targeting mobs that should be hunted in the low to mid 40s. Go hunt lower-level mobs. Try drolvargs in Firiona Vie.
The mobs I was trying to kill were actually suggested to me, i'll try going to Firiona Vie.
Old 08-31-2014, 11:33 AM
Planar Protector

38-47 dwarf guards at bb docks. Stupid easy exp, fast spawns. Get the noob zone exp and nice weapon drops you can sell at the druid merchant nearby
Old 08-31-2014, 11:35 AM
Planar Protector

I dont know if you have, but make sure you have your torch and shovel finished also. They make such a big difference with your pet its crazy.
Old 08-31-2014, 11:48 AM
Large Rat

Well I tired different mobs in Firiona Vie and it was the same outcome, I die and lose all my exp making it pointless to be even playing the game.
Old 08-31-2014, 01:27 PM
Fire Giant

At level 38 you are still using the level 34 pet which means you gotta target things a lvl 34 pet can handle (mobs around lvl 30 that are just barely blue to you). Mage soloing is completely dependent on your best pet. Your level really doesn't mean much, hence why 38 will suck regardless and at 39 you feel powerful again.
At 39 I was able to pet chain seafuries (awful slow but doable), at 38 I would be crushed by them.
Closed Thread