Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Technical Discussion

Old 11-19-2014, 07:28 AM
Sarnak

Default Write logs to a different drive

So I am considering moving EQ onto my SSD to run it from there for better performance, but I am a little bit worried about the consant log writing onto it.

Is there a way I can direct EQ to write logs to my other hdd? And if so, how do I do that?

Are there other things I should be considering when running EQ off a SSD?
Old 11-19-2014, 09:23 AM
Planar Protector

I have 6 months of logs that takes up 76kb...granted I only play 5-10hrs/wk. The log files do not take up a whole lot of space, but if you are worried, periodically back them up manually, or create a script to automate it. I do not believe you can direct EQ to write the logs to a different folder.
Old 11-19-2014, 09:27 AM
Sarnak

http://eq.gimasoft.com/gina/

has a function to break up logs when they get to a certain file size. Would be pretty easy to write a script that moves them as well
Solo Kills
Old 11-19-2014, 10:07 AM
Sarnak

I wasn't so much worried about the size of the logs as I am about the wear on the SSD because the log writes to them all the time - is that something I shouldn't worry about?
Old 11-19-2014, 10:56 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Culkasi [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I wasn't so much worried about the size of the logs as I am about the wear on the SSD because the log writes to them all the time - is that something I shouldn't worry about?
I doubt it.

Edit: And this.
Old 11-19-2014, 04:46 PM
Aviak

While your worry about the SSD wear is unfounded, here is how you can do it. You can pretty much use this to move any directory that an application wants to be in a certain place, even special Windows directories and such.

1) Shut down EQ.
2) Move your Logs directory to where you want it to be in the future. For me, I moved it so that instead of being in C:\Games\EQTitaniumP1999\Logs, it is now in E:\Logs. You can move it with all the files in it.
3) Open a command prompt and type the following:

mklink /j C:\Games\EQTitaniumP1999\Logs E:\Logs

Obviously replace the directory paths to suit you.

Boom, there is now a "symbolic link" in place that makes any file operation targeted at C:\Games\EQTitaniumP1999\Logs get redirected to E:\Logs

To remove it, simply delete the "Logs" link (has the icon of a directory with a shortcut arrow on it) in your EQ directory.
Old 02-09-2015, 09:27 PM
Fire Giant

Symbolic link creates periodic video lag in EQ - oddly, even if I am not recording logs.

I am guessing this may be fully or partially remedied with some setting or another... any ideas?
Old 02-11-2015, 03:20 PM
Sarnak

Quote:
Symbolic link creates periodic video lag in EQ - oddly, even if I am not recording logs.
I would try linking to RAM see if it creates video lag too. If it doesn't, then I'd setup a job scheduler to append to the logs in the non-SSD and delete the RAM logs every few minutes.

Also, I remember people saying they were playing EQ off a USB stick, maybe you can purchase one for a few bucks and move the game to it. If you're feeling really cheap you can score them in expos, they come with company logos you can cover with silver tape [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Old 02-23-2015, 08:22 AM
Orc

Culkasi, looking at your name where you the one monk that was in Blades of Shadowfyre with me back on live around 2001-2002 (I was a bard)??