Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Class Discussions > Priests

Closed Thread

Old 11-29-2014, 05:55 AM
Sarnak

Default Shaman race choice without torpor.

I am having trouble choosing between Barb for looks, Ogre for Stun and Iksar for Regen. I cannot stand troll, just a personal thing. I know a lot of the guides assume Torpor but I am not in a raid guild and the price of torpor on this server is insane so I can't count on ever getting it. How important is race choice, and will the Regen of the Iksar matter more without torpor? If I go Iksar with the lack of a JBB matter that much?

With Velious so close the real question is JBB or Iksar regen if you don't assume torpor as a given?
Old 11-29-2014, 06:06 AM
Sarnak

Torpor is a game changer at 60, and opens up options for you, both solo and in group play, that don't exist without torpor.

In some ways, the race choice with or without torpor is the same conversation. Without torpor, yes, racial regen retains more value. But that is the exact same conversation that exists from 0-59 about which race is best.

So, a 60 shaman without torpor? Same conversation. Frontal stun immunity is probably the most valuable (ogre), followed by regen (ikky / troll), followed by barbarian. I rolled Barb myself, and while the frontal stun immunity would be great, I don't regret the choice.

JBB is a fun toy but not essential, it's main value outside of minor utility is for leveling techniques from 45-50. But a JBB is 25k, the epic about 30k. Shamans are an expensive class to gear, but you can solo named camps for gear while xping...I got great xp and cash from seafurys, OOT AC, Perma giants, LGuk Frenzy, etc. while mobs still conned blue.
Old 12-02-2014, 01:12 PM
Aviak

another consideration is the gear that they can wear. observe that troll/ogre cant wear kylong/seb scale/jarsath(who cares) and specific really nice pieces like IGS. my shaman as an ogre is wearing a lot of leather hand-me-downs from my druid.
Old 12-02-2014, 01:24 PM
Orc

So is Ogre the consensuses? I am in the same boat, and while I want to go Iksar for the regen, I don't want to kill myself with racial limitations.
Old 12-02-2014, 01:28 PM
Fire Giant

Search the forums. There is so much discussion on this topic. Basically the consensus is that one should play the race (s)he wants to and realize that to min/max is to play the strength's of one's own ability. AKA play what you think is fun!
Old 12-02-2014, 01:41 PM
Orc

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiveeauxfour [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
to min/max is to play the strength
My min/maxing starts with picking the best race.
Old 12-02-2014, 01:51 PM
Fire Giant

The top shaman "solo artist" is a barbarian. Troll race is also up there too. These players got to the top of the list not due to the race they chose but due to their skill. You seem to be approaching the game wrong when you say there is a "best" race. When in fact any shaman race can do anything because the class itself is so powerful.

Again, play what you think is fun. You will be looking at this toon for a long time if you want to get to 60, so don't choose a race just because people tell you it's the best. You need to pick a race and make it the best.
Last edited by fiveeauxfour; 12-02-2014 at 01:54 PM..
Old 12-02-2014, 09:16 PM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiveeauxfour [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
The top shaman "solo artist" is a barbarian. Troll race is also up there too. These players got to the top of the list not due to the race they chose but due to their skill. You seem to be approaching the game wrong when you say there is a "best" race. When in fact any shaman race can do anything because the class itself is so powerful.

Again, play what you think is fun. You will be looking at this toon for a long time if you want to get to 60, so don't choose a race just because people tell you it's the best. You need to pick a race and make it the best.
This was really helpful, I want to play a Barbarian but I was worried I would end up behind the curve if I ever to to the upper eschelons.
Old 12-02-2014, 10:20 PM
Fire Giant

Quote:

Any shaman can click puppet strings, yes. For high end velious soloing you will want to be an ogre.
Old 12-02-2014, 10:36 PM
Sarnak

100k for Torpor not that hard to get to be honest. If you think you can dedicate a few hours at a time to camp 5-8k items. I know it sounds alot but depending what you camp it can take at most 20 drops of the 5k rare item or 12.5 drops of an 8k item. Sounds alot but if you pepper in FS loots and coinage from selling crap you get trying to get the 5k+ items it will drop these numbers alot.

Example. King camp in Guk. Drops 2k Crown non stop. 750/1k Sword uncommonly and then the tact drops the 8k Circlet. Can easily make 13k (2 crowns + sword and circlet) in one camp assuming you stay til Circlet drops. If no circlet you can make 2k every-time you camp it as you are almost guaranteed 1 king every 90 minutes (Have had 3 in a row then 1 ph and another before).

P.S. And to answer original post, Go Barb if you want but avoid Iksar. Even in Velious JBB is awesome. Also a-lot more gear choices for Ogre or Barb. If you do go Barb you get Seb scale gear, jarsath gear, plate gear, jbb, Imbued Granite Spaulders (very underrated resist item)+ many more. Also faster leveling. I prefer Ogre for FSI but I played Barb on live and survived Kunark/Velious just fine. If you aren't going for Torpor you wont be fighting the stuff IFS is best against.

P.S.S. I skipped ahead and see Aamok mentioned alot of the gear I was talking about with Barb. IGS so nice.
Last edited by BlkCamel; 12-02-2014 at 10:41 PM.. Reason: Added P.S.
Closed Thread