Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Server Issues > Bugs > Velious Beta > General Beta Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 11-29-2014, 09:54 PM
Decaying Skeleton

Red face Whining about forced Beta

So I started P99 about a week ago and enjoyed it very much. I have a level 5 druid, a 3 Nec and a 4 Enc. Its fabulous. I played EQ started in August of 1999. By the way I already donated $20, because I am happy to contribute a reasonable subscription fee to whatever it is that entertains me, and I am really looking forward to playing up my toons and leveling them; I mention this to only demonstrate I'm not some kind of whiney parasite. [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

Now, given a long weekend, instead of advancing my level 5 druid, I am expected to play a twinked L60 character to beta Velious. Bleh. I have no desire to waste my time on a character that will inevitably be wiped. I want to play and advance my own characters. [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

If Velious cannot be properly beta tested with volunteers, I think it is likely that the server isn't ready for Velious! In other words, if it takes this kind of coercion to make Velious live on P99, I think it likely that the population of P99 is just not interested enough or ready to progress to Velious!

What is the hurry? Why the coercion?

Thanks,
Croel
Old 11-30-2014, 11:13 AM
Orc

A lot of us are in a similar boat. However I am very thankful for the crew that puts this together and I'm happy to support this in any way I can.

Since playing again, there is a little spot deep in my chest that almost tickles. I've missed EQ for far too long.

Plus Velious is a great expansion. It opens up so much more raid content.

Just have to grin and bear it, my friend.
Old 11-30-2014, 11:32 AM
Planar Protector

The server has been in Kunark for 3 years, it's ready for Velious. Not enough people were volunteering their time to beta test the expansion (myself included), so I can see why a long weekend is dedicated to testing it. This game makes people crazy, I swear. It's one weekend, if you don't want to beta test, spend time with your family or go to the beach.
Old 11-30-2014, 12:05 PM
Aviak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Croel [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
3 years of Kunark, we're sure in a hurry here.
Old 11-30-2014, 12:13 PM
Planar Protector

It's just the nature of releasing new content to the server. When the beta server goes up, you're going to get about 100 players on it semi-actively testing stuff. That's great for catching all the big glaring problems, but not so great for polishing the smaller stuff.

Kunark beta was similar, with "forced" participation soon before it was released to live.

I don't really look at it as punishment or anything, it's just a necessary step to getting the content released. It's a contingency so that when Velious is launched to live, there is more guarantee that the release will be smooth.

It sucks for the people who wanted to play on blue this weekend, but the vision of the developers has always been to create an accurate classic server through Velious whether anyone plays on it or not. The success is just a bonus.
Old 11-30-2014, 12:40 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Croel [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
So I started P99 about a week ago and enjoyed it very much. I have a level 5 druid, a 3 Nec and a 4 Enc. Its fabulous. I played EQ started in August of 1999. By the way I already donated $20, because I am happy to contribute a reasonable subscription fee to whatever it is that entertains me, and I am really looking forward to playing up my toons and leveling them; I mention this to only demonstrate I'm not some kind of whiney parasite. [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

Now, given a long weekend, instead of advancing my level 5 druid, I am expected to play a twinked L60 character to beta Velious. Bleh. I have no desire to waste my time on a character that will inevitably be wiped. I want to play and advance my own characters. [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

If Velious cannot be properly beta tested with volunteers, I think it is likely that the server isn't ready for Velious! In other words, if it takes this kind of coercion to make Velious live on P99, I think it likely that the population of P99 is just not interested enough or ready to progress to Velious!

Thanks,
Croel

You can still donate money and be a whiney parasite [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Old 11-30-2014, 02:39 PM
Decaying Skeleton

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thulack [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
You can still donate money and be a whiney parasite [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Whiney: Yes, most definitely. Parasite? No, not so much.

Anyway, in addition to my few pitiful comments regarding possible bugs, one good thing I've figured out is I prefer playing a 60 shammy rather then an enchanter. Best to have figured that out now, I guess. [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Old 11-30-2014, 03:50 PM
Kobold

Not really fair because, though I don't know what their staff looks like, I am sure it is limited. Unlike on live when they probably had entire wings of a building dedicated to aspects of programming.

Sorry about your timing.. Thank you very much for your willingness to donate [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.] Now the staff can order a pizza while they sit in a circle and debate the next re-pop date. (you only been playing a week so are probably not entirely sure what I mean by that..

Just one more day friend and you, me, and everyone will be back on blue leveling our favorite characters.

Take the time to play level 60 versions of your classes and decide who you like. Also a pro-tip, take the hour it takes to organize your spell book(It's worth it!)
Old 11-30-2014, 04:38 PM
The Protector of Sunder

Enjoy velious, this forced beta is what we've been needing. It's going to make the experience much better all around when it's released.
Old 11-30-2014, 08:27 PM
Aviak

My only problem is that the beta forces alot of unorganized play and testing. It took me all weekend, until this afternoon, to find a group / raid that could actually do anything at all. I didn't want to play the beta, but I did my due diligence and put a ton of time into it this weekend... I figure it's my way of attempting to give back since I can't donate a whole lot.

That being said, I think one or two of the top tier guilds needs to be given some sort of incentive to test for a couple of weeks straight instead of playing / raiding on blue. Buff them up, give them Velious gear (on their beta toons of course), and maybe reward them by allowing them to keep one piece of gear per toon that they looted on the beta (or something like that... I'm not saying this is proper compensation or if it will unbalance blue too much, and I'm sure the powers that be can come up with something more fair for everyone involved.)

Anyway, that's just my two cents.
Closed Thread