Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Class Discussions > Tanks

Closed Thread

Old 12-29-2014, 09:26 AM
Large Rat

Default Kunark BPs vs Fungi

Does ac matter enough to encourage the use of class bps over fungi? Cobalt has hps to give larger CH pool, but what about when a shaman is healing? What about knights who don't have hps on their bp?
Old 12-29-2014, 01:22 PM
Planar Protector

My rule of thumb tends to be at lower levels you'll want fungi. However, at higher levels, the regen on the fungi is pretty negligible to how hard you're getting hit and how much damage you're taking upon hit. At this point you'll want to be wearing higher AC/HP gear to mitigate total damage. Plus, you'll be increasing your total HP so you can take bigger hits that come all at once.

In low levels, the regen you're getting from a fungi is going to be higher than the damage the mobs are dealing you, so it makes sense to equip this instead of a high AC/HP breastplate.
Last edited by zanderklocke; 12-29-2014 at 07:57 PM..
Old 12-29-2014, 02:10 PM
Planar Protector

Huh? Lorean/Raev's warrior guide discusses the DPS in at King (one of the highest level single-group camps in Kunark) and parses them some 6DPS apart between a paladin tank and warrior tank (of course this DPS in is spread out amongst the whole group, not just damage against the tank). In that instance, 2.5HPS from Fungi (15/6) would make up for a load of healing, especially if you do not have CH.

IMHO fungi for anything that doesn't require warrior disciplines.
Old 12-29-2014, 03:03 PM
Planar Protector

#firstworldproblems
Old 12-29-2014, 08:17 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by falkun [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Huh? Lorean/Raev's warrior guide discusses the DPS in at King (one of the highest level single-group camps in Kunark) and parses them some 6DPS apart between a paladin tank and warrior tank (of course this DPS in is spread out amongst the whole group, not just damage against the tank). In that instance, 2.5HPS from Fungi (15/6) would make up for a load of healing, especially if you do not have CH.

IMHO fungi for anything that doesn't require warrior disciplines.
I'm confused on how you make the jump from that guide to how a mob's DPS is spread out on a fungi tunic. Aren't there are differences in mob DPS based on the AC of an item equipped?

How would the AC on the paladin and warrior's breastplate affect the 6 DPS vs a Fungus Covered Scale Tunic though?

Sakuragi is a bad example for being an iksar, but I'm guessing Pint is wearing a Deepwater Breastplate which is 40 AC versus a 21 AC Fungus Covered Scale Tunic. Wouldn't hits be statistically less damage on Pint when he is wearing the Deepwater Breastplate?

I mean I could be wrong, but I've always interpreted AC damage mitigation as meaning you are taking less total damage per hit.

P.S. Why you try to make me look dumb or wrong on your last 3 of 4 forums posts!?
Old 12-29-2014, 08:55 PM
Kobold

Fungi on this server I believe. You'll be over the AC Cap anyway.
Old 12-29-2014, 09:37 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by zanderklocke [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Aren't there are differences in mob DPS based on the AC of an item equipped?
Not when that guide was made there wasn't. That's sort of the point. AC hasn't exactly worked very well here historically. Who knows about now; supposedly some additional AC-related changes have recently gone through.

As a rule of thumb, the less healing you need, the better the fungi gets*. If you're tanking a raid named and receiving large heals every few seconds, the effect of the fungi is functionally useless which is why you don't typically see raid main tanks wearing them. Against weaker monsters, a fungi can cancel out a fair portion of incoming damage.

Danth
Old 12-30-2014, 02:02 AM
Fire Giant

In ANY long term group situation, a Fungi is superior (unless cleric is using a Donals BP to heal). It aint even close. The tank is healing himself at all times, even downtime. It makes the healers job a lot easier than if he had a couple more points of HP/AC. It is very noticeable at high levels as well as low levels.
Old 12-30-2014, 06:33 AM
Banned

Fungi any time outside of raid tanking or Donals BP heals.

Applies to every class that can wear a fungi. I even wore one on my cleric 90% of the time as who cares if I cop a few hits. Swap in Donals as needed and be less lazy [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Old 12-30-2014, 11:13 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by zanderklocke [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I'm confused on how you make the jump from that guide to how a mob's DPS is spread out on a fungi tunic. Aren't there are differences in mob DPS based on the AC of an item equipped?
The general consensus is that AC is not as important on this server as it was on Live (Loraen states as much in his guide):
Quote:
(yes Virginia, AC is indeed broken)
Quote:
How would the AC on the paladin and warrior's breastplate affect the 6 DPS vs a Fungus Covered Scale Tunic though?
See above, but also realize that at that gear level, you've already hit the AC soft cap (assuming it exists/works), so trading AC for raw HPs (or regen) is the best gearing strategy.
Quote:
Sakuragi is a bad example for being an iksar, but I'm guessing Pint is wearing a Deepwater Breastplate which is 40 AC versus a 21 AC Fungus Covered Scale Tunic. Wouldn't hits be statistically less damage on Pint when he is wearing the Deepwater Breastplate?
Saku is the perfect example because Fungi is BIS for all situations since iksars cannot wear cobalt. In the magelo's linked by Loraen, Saku is in Trooper Scale (20AC) vs. Pint's DW BP (40AC) vs. a Fungi at 21AC (assuming the -AGI mod does not drop you below 75AGI and the resulting -AC modification). Also, as a warrior Saku should be taking less damage than Pint whenever he's tanking due to warrior skill caps (defense, dodge, parry, riposte) being higher than that of paladins. Also, I think warriors classically had a higher AC soft cap than their fellow knight tanks (which should be replicated on P99 if true).
Quote:
I mean I could be wrong, but I've always interpreted AC damage mitigation as meaning you are taking less total damage per hit.
Higher AC is supposed to decrease the median/mean Damage Interval selected by the random number generator when hits are calculated by the game, so that, on average, a player with higher AC will take less damage than a player with lower AC, assuming AC works as it should on this server. The damage mitigation is not on a per-hit basis, the Damage Bonus and Damage Intervals do not change, but the average/median (not sure which) DI selected is shifted inversly to AC (higher AC = lower average DI).
Quote:
P.S. Why you try to make me look dumb or wrong on your last 3 of 4 forums posts!?
This is not personal, you just apparently respond to threads faster than I, so I have to respond to you and OP.
Closed Thread