Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Blue Community > Blue Server Chat

Closed Thread

Old 01-02-2015, 02:51 AM
Planar Protector

Default Best class to duo with Cleric?

Friend is coming to p99 to roll a cleric, I told her Id make something to duo level up with her. I was thinking maybe a Warrior. Any suggestions?
Last edited by VincentVolaju; 01-02-2015 at 03:06 AM..
Old 01-02-2015, 03:39 AM
Kobold

Warrior is ok, easy to fill the other slots with classes and take on whatever, but for duo'ing purposes, my money is on enchanter.
Old 01-02-2015, 03:45 AM
Aviak

CH+ charmed pet = win

Enchanter
Ghomie (60 Wizard)
Jurassic Park (60 Necromancer)
Massterr Drumok (56 Monk)
Leighdybierd Johansen (50 Cleric)
Gdavid (50 Magician)
Snique Sniq(28 Rogue)
Therbah (7 bank)

Red:
Aalamar (60 Enchanter)
Aalasbank (1 bank)
Old 01-02-2015, 05:10 AM
Banned

enchanter hands down best duo for cleric
Old 01-02-2015, 05:20 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by VincentVolaju [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Friend is coming to p99 to roll a cleric, I told her Id make something to duo level up with her. I was thinking maybe a Warrior. Any suggestions?
Enchanter. Have her roll a dark elf for snare necklace.

If you guys wanna form a group you just need to fill out with melees. Easy.
Old 01-02-2015, 05:26 AM
Orc

I agree enchanter wins, but if you're looking for other options:

War is ok, though pretty limited roles and options. Ogre War and DE cleric pretty solid evil duo.
Pal is interesting on a thematic level because you two would destroy undead. Just stay in undead heavy zones and rape. Dwarf or HE for both. Nice starting together.
Bard actually works ok (weak tank can trade with cleric back and forth, some dps, mana regen, health regen, combat buffs, travel speed, etc).

Oh, and I have a lot of newbies laying around if you need a 3rd for anything.
Old 01-02-2015, 10:32 AM
Planar Protector

Since you're probably wanting to get your Cleric friend leveled up, I'd avoid any of the classes with major experience penalties (Paladin, Shadow Knight, Ranger, etc). With 800+ forum posts, I imagine you're already established here in terms of having some sort of higher-level main. As such, my own recommendations would be as follows:

A) If you want a tank type make a Warrior. With higher damage output and much lower experience requirements than a hybrid it'll allow the duo to level a lot more quickly than using either of the hybrid tanks, plus Warriors are usually more desired by higher-end guilds.

B) Monks are always useful, but with a moderate experience penalty (or major in the case of Iksar) the leveling rate ends up no better than the Warrior-based duo. Also, with Clerics usually being weak and the Monk having to fight unslowed monsters constantly, the monk weight limit becomes a liability for this duo. It'll work if you want a Monk, but with some annoyance factor.

C) Enchanter is the most effective duo with a Cleric at the high end. This is what you want if you plan to continue duo'ing even after you're finished leveling. Nothing else comes close. Right from the start both this duo and the Druid (see below) are useful if you want the Cleric to experience gameplay beyond acting like a portable heal-bot for a melee partner.

D) If you don't already have access to one, Druids are roughly as effective as Enchanters for leveling (albeit with significant restrictions on where they can charm) and are one of the most useful utility classes a person can have access to, especially if these alts don't make level 60. Even a mid 40's Druid alt offers significant utility.

E) Any of the solo-effective classes (Necromancer, Mage, Shaman, Bard, etc) can work decently, and in a duo the pet classes gain the advantage of not having to fuss with their pets to ensure full experience.

----------------------------------

My wife and I played a Paladin/Cleric duo for many years. It worked tolerably well for low-mid range leveling and served as a great basis to build groups off of. However, as a duo it runs out of gas past about level 50 or so and even before then there are more efficient options. I wouldn't suggest it except to folks who want to play those classes in the first place.

Danth
Old 01-02-2015, 12:21 PM
Planar Protector

Cleric Mage is not the worse combo you can think of. Clerics do have some pretty good CC. And a Mage pet kills faster than a Tank. [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Old 01-02-2015, 12:39 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by webrunner5 [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Cleric Mage is not the worse combo you can think of. Clerics do have some pretty good CC. And a Mage pet kills faster than a Tank. [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I really like this duo for its sheer simplicity. It's similar to the Enchanter/Cleric duo but requires a lot less skill/attention from the Mage player as compared with the Enchanter. Just get the Mage Fire and Earth pet focus items and go to town. Cleric just HP buffs the focused fire pet, heals as needed and mobs beat themselves to death on the pet's damage shield. It's some of the fastest and easiest XP I've ever gotten. Definitely not as powerful as the Enchanter/Cleric in the hands of skilled players but a really fun and chill duo to grind XP into the 50s very quickly. If you go this route I'd advise making the Cleric a High Elf for the extra CHA which will come in handy when Lull pulling, as you'll be relying on the Cleric to do CC and Lull is very useful for breaking camps of blue con XP mobs.
Old 01-02-2015, 01:19 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexenu [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I really like this duo for its sheer simplicity. It's similar to the Enchanter/Cleric duo but requires a lot less skill/attention from the Mage player as compared with the Enchanter. Just get the Mage Fire and Earth pet focus items and go to town. Cleric just HP buffs the focused fire pet, heals as needed and mobs beat themselves to death on the pet's damage shield. It's some of the fastest and easiest XP I've ever gotten. Definitely not as powerful as the Enchanter/Cleric in the hands of skilled players but a really fun and chill duo to grind XP into the 50s very quickly. If you go this route I'd advise making the Cleric a High Elf for the extra CHA which will come in handy when Lull pulling, as you'll be relying on the Cleric to do CC and Lull is very useful for breaking camps of blue con XP mobs.
You hit the nail right on the head. Playing a Enchanter with a charmed Pet is a pretty damn stressful several hours of playing compared like you say with the Mage. I highly recommend it. [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.] Mage pets do kill fast like I said before.
Closed Thread