Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Class Discussions > Melee

Closed Thread

Old 01-09-2015, 11:57 AM
Kobold

Default Jolt aggro reduction when resisted

The ranger epic mq thread has been derailed enough as it is, so I'm making a new one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daldaen [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Cause Devs aren't smart.

All aggro in EQ is a fixed value.

Every swing of a weapon is a fixed hate value. Whether that hit is a miss or a maximum critical hit.

Just like every spell has a fixed hate value. This is why tanks are able to use Midnight Mallets. Even though 99% of the targets they use them on are magic or slow immune, it still generates a huge amount of aggro.

The same works for spells which decrease aggro. Regardless of hit or resist, it drops your aggro the same. Test it out if you don't believe me. Find a magic or fire immune mob, get just over aggro from someone else, cast and see what happens on resist.

http://www.project1999.com/forums/sh...&postcount=166 - Concussion evidence.

http://thedruidsgrove.org/archive/eq/t-6634.html - Jolt evidence:

Spell data on the spells is nearly the same. They both reduce aggro regardless.
I do not find the evidence conclusive, it was criticized a lot.
I do not have evidence of the opposite either.

Assuming jolt works the same as concussion, I wonder:
- do these spells work the same on p99 as they did on live in 2003?
- could they reduce aggro by X amount when they hit the mob, and further reduce aggro by Y amount if they do not get resisted?

By searching "jolt" in the melee forum I could not find any p99 testing.
By searching "concussion" in the casters forum I could not find any p99 testing.

Overuse of mallets and 32k hp mobs dying in less than a minute made aggro trivial on this serv, so I don't think anyone bothered. I'm thinking of doing some tests.

Güllerback being undead, I am not sure he is a good testing target.
I was thinking of finding a different magic immune mob, then trying to ping-pong mobs with a combination of aggro spells and jolt.
Old 01-09-2015, 12:11 PM
Planar Protector

http://www.project1999.com/forums/sh...4&postcount=47

Concussion was tested on this server and proved to function as it is claimed in my posts and the links I provided.

Jolt is basically the same spell. So it should function the exact same. Should be easy enough to test though.

Exact aggro amount is up in the air as that's a bit more tedious to determine, however concussion does indeed drop you on aggro if you get resisted. On live it was the same amount so I'd guess if it's working to decrease aggro here, it decreases by the same amount already.

The Cliff Golem would be fine. Those dragoons in OT are magic immune so those would work well. Any guard at a city gate is magic immune so you can test off those also.
Old 01-09-2015, 12:28 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fanguru [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
The ranger epic mq thread has been derailed enough as it is, so I'm making a new one.
It wasn't derailed. We just pursued several different and more interesting topics than OP's question. One of which is this thread.
Please test it out and report your findings.
Old 01-10-2015, 01:48 AM
Planar Protector

Haha, I was just about to post that I tested Concussion but Daldaen beat me to it.
Need a port or a rez? Hit me up on IRC!
Old 01-10-2015, 06:08 AM
Planar Protector

This is obviously a clever ruse by an evil druid who simply enjoys watching rangers and wizards get eaten by raid mobs
Old 01-11-2015, 01:14 AM
Orc

I would disagree with the notion that since Jolt is the same type of spell it works the same. I have had plenty of mobs that will stay aggroed on me after multiple jolt resists and as soon as it lands they will turn.

Not to say that a resist is a complete drop of spell effectiveness, but it if it does drop some agro it is not noticeable in a fight.

And yes, even with multiple earthcaller procs in a fight, I never have to worry about agro with a good knight tanking
Old 01-11-2015, 01:16 PM
Sarnak

There's some classic tests done on Graffe's back in the day on concussion. If you really want to know about Jolt on p99, repeat some of those tests.

Argenti | Cobblestone | Animan
Old 01-12-2015, 06:38 AM
Sarnak

Back on live, it was generally agreed upon among the Ranger community that both Jolt and Cinder Jolt still had partial aggro reduction with a resist (Cinder had FAR less resists).

This is based on hundreds of Rangers all reporting similar experiences - that upon pulling aggro, a cast of Jolt was usually enough to drop hate even with a resist.
But feel free to test for yourself [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Old 01-12-2015, 11:30 PM
Orc

Well, on P99, resists do not drop agro. Tested that a lot
Old 01-19-2015, 01:53 PM
Sarnak

I don't know if it has no aggro reduction or does. However both a successful jolt and a resisting one produce no aggro - which is not classic. A resisted or unresisted jolt on an un-aggroed mob should pull the mob. It currently does not.
Closed Thread