Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Starting Zone

Closed Thread

Old 05-18-2015, 01:03 AM
Large Rat

Default Iksar Shadowknight or Half-Elf Paladin - First Toon Since Velious

Hello, everyone! I heard about this project earlier today and I must say that it's absolutely wonderful. I've yet to create a character yet as I'm a bit busy, but I was wondering if I could get some people's input on which character class to play. As you may have surmised from the title, I'm waffling between a Half Elf Paladin (Tunare of course) and an Iksar Shadowknight. Earlier, I was thinking about playing a Cleric of some kind, but I've mostly lost interest in that.

If you could give me some pros and cons that reflect the current state of the server regarding these two classes, I'd greatly appreciate it.

Of note, I see that people give handouts somewhat frequently on these boards. I'd like to play without handouts, as I find it more enjoyable. I do remember that Tanks used to (and most likely still do) rely quite heavily on equipment, but I'm sure I'll be able to scrape by.

Thank you again, and special thanks to the devs for creating this.
Old 05-18-2015, 10:33 AM
Kobold

I dont have any experience playing a lizard, but it should be pretty easy to earn money all on your own to get decent gear, or quest for it if you want to. The stuff you can quest for at low level is pretty rubbish, especially the weapons. You can get a 50/13 2HB hammer if you kill Trumpy Irontoe in Qeynos and hands his head into the dorfs in kaladim. Some decent armor though, but if you save up til like 90pp (which you will have done by lv 10) then you can buy a full set of banded crafted by another player.

The SK can solo much easier than the Pally if you cant find a group with snare, fear and a pet. It can be difficult to find a group at times. I agree half elves look really cool (just created a half elf warrior for the looks only), but their melee stats are pretty mediocre if not twinked. You will likely eat many more deaths than the icky would have,
Old 05-18-2015, 11:02 AM
Sarnak

Well,

It should be noted that both Iksar and Shadowknight have big XP penalties. Combined, it's something like 168% penalty (that's off the top of my head, correct me if wrong.

The Paladin would only have the hybrid penalty, which is eventually lifted in Velious.
Old 05-18-2015, 11:13 AM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deckk [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Well,

It should be noted that both Iksar and Shadowknight have big XP penalties. Combined, it's something like 168% penalty (that's off the top of my head, correct me if wrong.

The Paladin would only have the hybrid penalty, which is eventually lifted in Velious.
Yep, -68% for Iksar SK. Same with Troll SK.

They require 68% more experience than a player with no bonus or penalty of the same level. For example, they require 68% more experience to get from 51 to 52 than a Human Cleric.
Old 05-18-2015, 11:17 AM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morlaeth [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Yep, -68% for Iksar SK. Same with Troll SK.

They require 68% more experience than a player with no bonus or penalty of the same level. For example, they require 68% more experience to get from 51 to 52 than a Human Cleric.
I'm not mathematician, so this is likely wrong, but at 68% more xp necessary per level, you actually wind up needing about 40.8 more levels than anyone else to get to 60. Now, I didn't use the actual exp needed from level to level to figure that out. But that's craziness.

I have great respect for anyone who has done it without PL or twinking.
Old 05-19-2015, 08:17 AM
Kobold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deckk [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I'm not mathematician, so this is likely wrong, but at 68% more xp necessary per level, you actually wind up needing about 40.8 more levels than anyone else to get to 60. Now, I didn't use the actual exp needed from level to level to figure that out. But that's craziness.

I have great respect for anyone who has done it without PL or twinking.
http://wiki.project1999.com/Shadow_Knight

scroll down to Racial Experience Statistics. you will find the exp penalty for a Shadow Knight. if i wanted to do math then i would figure out how many total extra levels you need to get to 60, but its fair to say that YES you do probably need 40 more lvls in exp to get to 60 than a race/class with a 0% exp pen.

this being said ... you will most likely see very few Iksar Shadow Knights running around but they do exist at lvl 60.

Welcome to Classic.
Old 05-19-2015, 08:23 AM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by littlebobby3 [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
http://wiki.project1999.com/Shadow_Knight

scroll down to Racial Experience Statistics. you will find the exp penalty for a Shadow Knight. if i wanted to do math then i would figure out how many total extra levels you need to get to 60, but its fair to say that YES you do probably need 40 more lvls in exp to get to 60 than a race/class with a 0% exp pen.
That's what I did. I didn't do it based on total experience per level, or how much experience increases to obtain the next level. IE I didn't figure out how much xp is necessary to attain 61, 62, 63, 64, etc.

I did use the xp penalty of 68%, though [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Old 05-19-2015, 08:25 AM
Sarnak

Although I am a high level SK, my suggestion would be a Paladin.

The server needs more Paladins, and if you know its a class you would enjoy, we would like you for it. lol
Old 05-19-2015, 08:33 AM
Kobold

Quote:
That's what I did. I didn't do it based on total experience per level, or how much experience increases to obtain the next level. IE I didn't figure out how much xp is necessary to attain 61, 62, 63, 64, etc.

I did use the xp penalty of 68%, though [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
ok thats what i thought ... but for the sake of just wanting to know lol lvl 1-60 are on P99 so those for a iksar SK are at 168%. if i honestly knew the exact amount of exp per lvl i could figure it out but i dont know lol.

all i know is any race thats an SK has a high exp penalty ... for example ... your lvl 20 and your friend is lvl 20 ... he is a cleric human and your a ikky SK ... you both dinged lvl 20 at the same time (yeah yeah just go with it)... from what i understand, when he is at 100% exp (ding 21) your at 32% into lvl 20 (32+68=100 lol) so therefor a 68% exp pen.

yeah it sucks but that is Everquest classic ... halfing rogues get a bonus to exp rather than a penalty so lol.
Old 05-19-2015, 08:36 AM
Planar Protector

Paladins come into their own for Velious, I'd argue SKs are easily the better choice at the moment though.

If you do go paladin, go Tunare and Half elf/high elf for http://wiki.project1999.com/Natures_Defender
Closed Thread