Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Blue Community > Blue Server Chat

Closed Thread

Old 08-06-2015, 05:59 PM
Sarnak

Default What version of "Classic" should p99 be?

I'll tell you...

I hear a lot of people stating that we shouldn't have the non classic UI, or scroll 3rd person, or med without the spell book, or extra chat windows with filters, or transparent boxes... the list goes on

But remember we are on velious xpac now, and i came in on this expansion, I have never used the classic UI I had scroll 3rd person, I could med with no spell book, and we had cable Internet at this time.

Luclin models I agree are not classic, but if you are going off the current state the server is at most of this stuff is.

So everyone needs to shut up now about the other stuff...

Anyway I can't remember everything so I am calling for others to say what they remember.

What was velious classic mechanics? It would be much easier and make more sense to go for this setup than 1999 vanilla classic
Old 08-06-2015, 06:19 PM
Banned

p99 should be "classic" like Monet is classic. Like mother fucking Beethoven's Eroica symphony is classic. Project 1999 is the god damn Iliad of video games.
Old 08-06-2015, 06:24 PM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by captnamazing [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
p99 should be "classic" like Monet is classic. Like mother fucking Beethoven's Eroica symphony is classic. Project 1999 is the god damn Iliad of video games.
But you're talking about one item of history, this server spans 2 years of content, we are near 2001 so shouldn't we keep up with the server time line?
Last edited by DeadlyReza; 08-06-2015 at 06:26 PM.. Reason: Got my time lines mixed up!
Old 08-06-2015, 06:25 PM
Planar Protector

Well considering P99 is essentially a long running beta server and the staff has intimated that it would like to do future releases with a proper timeline, it is quite appropriate to report and address earlier UI changes, functionalities, and issues implicated by such a timeline.

Classic UI

[You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

Classic UI Full Screen Transparency

Velious UI (Adds 4 hotkeys, windows can be moved and resized, still only 1 chat window

Old 08-06-2015, 06:27 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeadlyReza [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
But you're talking about one item of history, this server spans 4 years of content, we are near 2003 so shouldn't we keep up with the server time line?
No, the server spans less than 2 years of content at this point.

March 1999 -> December 2000
Old 08-06-2015, 06:31 PM
Planar Protector

I think there are some non-negotiable mechanics and economy things in play.

By mechanics, things like corpse retrieval. No instances. No AA's. No obsolence of traditional class roles like porting or needing for do buffs. There are other mechanics issues, but this is why Velious as a sensible stopping point. Mechanics still largely intact.

By economy, I think the point is, original release already had some mighty items. Kunark added some more, and Velious really fattened up the range of loots. But, to be "classic," I think it is non-negotiable that original release (or hard-fought-for Kunark) gear can't be made irrelevant. Hence again why Velious is a good stopping point.

Nerfing of mechanics and loot inflation kills eq. Classic = figuring out where to build the gameworld so that those two things are minimized as much as possible.

We already don't have proper gamma. Not classic. Anyway, I think those are the two big things: mechanics and economy.

edit: ENDURANCE mechanics implementation 2016! Do Eeeet!
Last edited by Sadre Spinegnawer; 08-06-2015 at 06:33 PM..
Old 08-06-2015, 06:46 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ele [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Well considering P99 is essentially a long running beta server and the staff has intimated that it would like to do future releases with a proper timeline, it is quite appropriate to report and address earlier UI changes, functionalities, and issues implicated by such a timeline.

Classic UI

Classic UI Full Screen Transparency

Velious UI (Adds 4 hotkeys, windows can be moved and resized, still only 1 chat window

Old 08-06-2015, 06:48 PM
Banned

bring back the compass
Old 08-06-2015, 07:22 PM
Sarnak

It's amazing to see how far this server has gone. I was here pretty close to day 1. Got a few characters with born dates of sub september 2009. A lot of people didn't even know this server has been up for so long.

Watching all the switches to make this server classic have been pretty awesome over the years. If we had a brand new server with all the changes that have taken place intact, then forced to use a classic/velious UI we would be as close to classic as I can remember.

I watched AA screen, target rings, dot stacking, snare/root stacking, shared bank, gnoll fang quest, 1 dmg to avoid pets eaten xp, compass, maps, target #, mobs with much much larger hit-boxes, mobs that moved at snail pace, and so much more go poof since I've been here.

I kind of feel bad being able to use most of the functions that was available at one time that no long exist.

If we ever get a fresh server, we would be in great shape towards a classic server with or without a classic/velious UI. We must not forget about the things under the hood that the Devs/Mods worked so hard on.
Old 08-06-2015, 07:56 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by stavio [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
It's amazing to see how far this server has gone.... We must not forget about the things under the hood that the Devs/Mods worked so hard on.
All true, but endurance mechanics plz