Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Starting Zone

Closed Thread

Old 10-09-2015, 12:04 AM
Large Rat

Default Newbie Needs Help With Picking a Class

Hello all,

I've been poking around P99 for a few days and I'm really liking the gameplay (I played EQ Classic when I was very, very young and liked it then). However I'm struggling to pick a class and go on what will be the long adventure of leveling and seeing Norath.

I'm hoping I can get some advice here regarding that. Below I'll put some info about me and hopefully that will help sculpt your recommendations.

I am a big, big fan of grouping. It's why I want to play EQ, so solo-oriented classes aren't my first love. That being said, I'd like to be a "valuable" class or a class that can find groups easily if I go that route.

I prefer a more support/laid back playstyle as opposed to being a puller or someone with the fate of the group on their back. I think I could do it but it might take years off me.

I'd prefer a class that can either make money easily, or isn't expensive to level in terms of gear/spells.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Thanks to anyone who has some advice for me. I'm putting in research of my own into the classes but getting advice from those who have been there and done that is really a different story. :]
Old 10-09-2015, 12:06 AM
Kobold

rogue

<Grunny Swampskin>Retired
<Brennard>Retired
<Alton> Retired
<Vizuni>
Old 10-09-2015, 01:59 AM
Kobold

Agreed that rogues are wanted in groups, mostly laid back to play, and fairly cheap to gear. The one thing that they fall short on is being able to make money easily.

Magician is another decent choice. You can be laid back and still effective, they can farm stuff fairly easily, and they don't need much for gear. Even though they solo well, I don't see too many of them turned away from groups, because they provide mana-free dps, and even spike dps when needed.

Most of the classes that can make money easily are going to be casters of some sort.
Old 10-09-2015, 05:00 AM
Fire Giant

You can't really be valuable and at the same time without responsibilities. I would recommend a cleric. But rogue may be good as well.
Old 10-09-2015, 07:29 AM
Planar Protector

Rogues make a ton of plat as long as they group in dungeons. Just don't waste time in places like OT, Oasis and Karana and you'll make plenty of plat and gear as you go. Except for special circumstances 99% of the time it's a hang back and dps mobs class.
Old 10-09-2015, 09:11 AM
Kobold

You could also consider necro.
You may not be invaluable to the group, but you can support it very well with heals/mez/manafeed. Add constant dps with pet, cheap to gear up, makes money easily.

You wouldn't be the most important person in the group, but you would be welcome.

Another option for a support is the ever popular shaman, as long as you don't mind spending most of your time casting cannib.
Old 10-09-2015, 09:16 AM
Large Rat

Thanks for the advice all. Sorry if I insinuated that I want to be a "valuable" group class that doesn't have a lot of responsibility, I was mostly referring to pulling and splitting packs. Anything else is just fine by me.

I will look into Rogue today and some of the others posted. Again, thank you so much!
Old 10-09-2015, 10:29 AM
Kobold

id say make a shaman. its gonna be expensive in the long run, but you can level them cheap, you dont have the fate of the group on your shoulders most time. they will be expensive in the long run but can also make alot of money in the long run. i think its the only one that fits your criteria, although it is debatable on the cheap part since things like epic/torpor/etc can be expensive as fuck... to level though, it should be fine.

oretty hard to fit all those criteria, mostly because of the PP making portion. for PP i think the best are Ench, shaman, necro, and mage if you dont include powerleveling/porting as a source of income, in which case add druids and bards. necro and mage arent great for grouping, and ench has probably the most vital job so you likely wont want that. shamans are just so good all the way around.
Old 10-09-2015, 10:41 AM
Fire Giant

While there is a lot of chanters on this server, I never see them lfg for long. They are the ultimate support class, and they definitely have the ability to farm plat.
Old 10-09-2015, 11:21 AM
Sarnak

I think enchanter would be good for you. You can do everything (minus port) including soloing, grouping and making pp!
Closed Thread