Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Blue Community > Blue Server Chat

Closed Thread

Old 10-13-2015, 06:29 PM
Banned

Default Ever..."Quests"

I always loved how the quests in EQ were so abstract that there is just no way you could solve them like a puzzel.. take this one for example: http://wiki.project1999.com/The_Falchion

"find out where they deliver thier shit"

that's it.. that's the frickn clue..

thats the clue that's meant to get you to go out to the OOT and find a random ass ogre, kill him and his 2 guards, thats 3 mobs, all in there 20's

for a fricken 6/24 sword lol

what other quests boggle your minds?

There are a lot of quests, and id say 90% are mind boggling as to how anyone could figure out how to finish them.

So there should be a lot!
Old 10-13-2015, 06:34 PM
Planar Protector

I agree - many quests seem straight forward, but some are so obscure I always wondered how people figured them out - especially because turning in your items to the wrong NPC results in eaten items.

I think the original devs said there were a big number of quests that were never solved? Not sure they should be proud of that....
Old 10-13-2015, 06:36 PM
Planar Protector

Spirit of Garzicor has some interesting anecdotes about just spamming certain words with hotkeys all over Dragon Necropolis for days.

Anything in Plane of Mischief. Quests were simply brute forced.

Quests involving tradeskill combines, accidentally pressing combine on a container meant you lost everything in the container. Had to recollect everything to try a new combination.
Old 10-13-2015, 08:20 PM
Planar Protector

Hailing every NPC ever and reading what they say. Sometimes NPC's not directly related to a quest (drops, or turnins) will have something to say lore-wise about certain things. Buuuuut...Aint nobody got time for that.
Old 10-13-2015, 08:28 PM
Sarnak

People also used to identify stuff.
Old 10-13-2015, 08:32 PM
Fire Giant

I think one of the great things that made EQ 1 so great back on live was there was tons of things you didn't know or understand. And discovering and completing these quests was fun. But we been ruined by games now a day. I pretty sure if a new game came out like this i prob wouldn't enjoy it just cause my time constraint is bad and im a super casual scrub atm. Wish i had 12 hours a day to play anymore [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Old 10-13-2015, 09:13 PM
Fire Giant

In classic retail pre and post Kunark, numerous players were really hot to have their characters learn every language available. Mostly it was for RP, but for some folks it was a prestige thing too.

Enter the Werewolf specifically spawned in West Karana. You could chase the thing down and hail him, and in classic he would replay something unintelligible in Werewolf. So at first players thought this was a hidden language and spread rumors about getting that first skill point in Werewolf by spam hailing him. Soooo many people fell for it.
Old 10-13-2015, 09:20 PM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by NegaStoat [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
In classic retail pre and post Kunark, numerous players were really hot to have their characters learn every language available. Mostly it was for RP, but for some folks it was a prestige thing too.

Enter the Werewolf specifically spawned in West Karana. You could chase the thing down and hail him, and in classic he would replay something unintelligible in Werewolf. So at first players thought this was a hidden language and spread rumors about getting that first skill point in Werewolf by spam hailing him. Soooo many people fell for it.
there was a thread somewhere full of people posting these rumors that people on classic believed
Old 10-13-2015, 09:22 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBiznessTZ [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I think one of the great things that made EQ 1 so great back on live was there was tons of things you didn't know or understand. And discovering and completing these quests was fun. But we been ruined by games now a day. I pretty sure if a new game came out like this i prob wouldn't enjoy it just cause my time constraint is bad and im a super casual scrub atm. Wish i had 12 hours a day to play anymore [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Yeah, but even back in the day most players weren't solving quests. There was a VERY elite group of gamers who paved the way through these muddled quests (most of them are just super ambiguous, not extraordinarily difficult). Most of us however, myself included, were just using walkthroughs (allakhazam) and forum posts, albeit they were far less user friendly and accessible back in the day.

One of the great feelings on live was the possibility of discovering something first. Sometimes in the first few days/weeks of an expansion or finding some obscure quest clue. Even if you never actually did those things, you at least felt like you COULD stumble on something new even in very old places.

P99, on the other hand, is built exclusively on the data that was actually discovered and documented. There will be no old unsolved quests finished here. Like I said, for 99.99% of us that doesn't actually change how we play...but it does change the nature of the world and the immersion for 100% of us. EQ had a knack for that sort of thing.
Old 10-14-2015, 08:17 AM
Banned

I think some devs leaked quests that were really obscure, appearently theres over 300+ un found quests in original EQ (which are all probably broken now with the expansions)

There's likely no way to ever complete them on an emulator unless they get discovered and ported over.
Closed Thread